Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iWork'08 trail available for download!

iWork'08 trail available for download!
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 09:00 PM

Here it is: Apple - iWork - Trial

A massive 469 MB download, though.

EDIT: I meant TRIAL, not trail.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Aug 7, 2007 at 09:02 PM. Reason: eye mis-spealt the dam titel.)

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 09:06 PM

It's pretty good, but I think it's only really worth it for numbers, the updates to pages and keynote are pretty small.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 09:58 PM

Can't be as small as the updates to 06 over 05... basically they added... reflect. And made it universal. At lease they added things like the move along Path thing in Keynote. I always wished I had that.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 10:57 PM

The new templates are great!

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 12:44 AM

Numbers is quite awesome, and Pages has a few subtle improvements that I like. I haven't played with Keynote yet, though. I'll definitely be buying this when my school's bookstore gets it in stock.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 12:50 AM

is it anything like Oregon Trail?

ctbritt
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2007, 04:20 AM

In previous trial versions, you had the option of buying online from the trial, which gave you an unlock code. Is that option available from the trial? I'm in Lebanon and it will take a long time for the software to come here. Oh, and it will cost $129.
Christopher Allbritton
MacOS X 10.4.9, 2GB RAM, 15-in. 2.33 GHz MBP 2 CD
www.back-to-iraq.com

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 04:59 AM

Yes, you can buy a code online.

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2007, 08:55 AM

Has anyone tried numbers? Can you do with it what you can do in excel? like serious work/scientific stuff and not just small-time financial stuff for everyday people.

rob.

swac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 10:01 AM

If I buy the serial number online, can I use it on multiple computers?

kman42
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2007, 12:39 PM

Does it do PivotTables?

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by swac View Post
If I buy the serial number online, can I use it on multiple computers?
Buy the code for the family pack?

swac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Buy the code for the family pack?
Yeah, but if I buy the single user license, can I install it on multiple computers?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 01:29 PM

No.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 01:35 PM

Yeah, but if I buy the single user license, can I install it on multiple computers?
Yes you can, but you'd probably be violating Apple's terms to do so.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 01:38 PM

How do get 'probably'?

swac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 01:43 PM

It'll still work, right...?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2007, 01:46 PM

No.
Vandelay Industries

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
How do get 'probably'?
Because I haven't actually read all the fine print. Have you?

It'll still work, right...?
Jeezus.

swac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 01:57 PM

Was my question really that weird?

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 01:57 PM

No.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
Does it do PivotTables?
No. If you try and import an Excel spreadsheet containing one, it gives you warnings.
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 02:12 PM

It's not a heavy lift analytic tool, what it is is a simple spreadsheet that makes common graphs, charts and tables look great.

Cold Warrior
Aug 8, 2007, 02:18 PM

I downloaded it. Pages has some subtle improvements that make it truly worthwhile for me.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 02:21 PM

Tell me more...

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 03:00 PM

Tell me more...
Well for one, it can open .doc files created by OpenOffice/NeoOffice. That was a major pain, as I have a few Linux friends. Second, if you have a numbered list using Font A and then change the font to Font B, the numbers change as well (a bug that drove me insane in Pages 2). Tracking changes is important, and the formatting bar reminds me of what the Office 2007 ribbon should have been: context-sensitive, but secondary to main controls (namely the inspector).

No ODF support though... bummer.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

philm
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
Does it do PivotTables?
...that's the big question for me too. Or better still, PivotCharts like they have on the Windows version of Excel. (I see the answer is no).

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 05:43 PM

am I the only one that thinks templates are utterly worthless?
we don't have time to stop for gas

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2007, 05:53 PM

I'm impressed. It looks very mature, and is a lot more sophisticated than I was expecting it to be.

I'd say Numbers is to Excel what Keynote is to Powerpoint - it might not do everything but it does a heck of a lot, and does it very very well indeed. The whole idea of having multiple spreadsheets on a single canvas is brilliant - and in a stroke removes the biggest problem I've always had with Excel, namely doing any kind of layout on a single unified grid.

Nice touches: sliders, formulae and charts highlight their source cells in colour when you click on them, header and footer rows, easy table sorting. It's packed with great ideas.

I for one can finally banish Office to the trash

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 06:50 PM

I bought iLife but figured I'd hold off on iWork for a while. I installed the trial now and the educational price of iWork is $71, but if you opt for the instant serial number the price goes down to $49. Not bad.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 06:58 PM

So here's my question. I bought iWork 06, and registered it. Then I bought iWork 08, and registered it. I uninstalled iWork 06, and sold it, but is the fact that it was registered going to be a problem for someone? How does that work?

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 06:59 PM

I'd rather have the choice which software to buy instead of buying a bundle.

I have no use for Keynote, and I don't need Numbers.

But I could use Pages for its desk top publishing abilities that go beyond Microsoft Word 2004's abilities.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Aug 8, 2007, 07:03 PM

Cool I was trying to find if I could download a trial .

Does Pages have proper sub-pixel rendering of anti-aliasing yet? They make the excuse that everything works with "layers" in Pages and Keynote, but all it really does is make text look ugly . In Keynote it's harder to notice as font sizes are usually larger, but Numbers will undoubtedly suffer the same.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 07:42 PM

I've played around with Keynote for a few minutes and the paths tool is so cool.
I made this in about 5 minutes. It's an arrow following a curved path. I included the Keynote file along with a movie of it, just incase anyone wants to see it.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2007, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post
Cool I was trying to find if I could download a trial .

Does Pages have proper sub-pixel rendering of anti-aliasing yet? They make the excuse that everything works with "layers" in Pages and Keynote, but all it really does is make text look ugly . In Keynote it's harder to notice as font sizes are usually larger, but Numbers will undoubtedly suffer the same.
How odd. It doesn't. I'd never noticed that before.
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2007, 02:57 PM

So here's something cool - Pages now has better MS Word support than MS Word 2004 - Pages can use Word 2007, while Word 2004 cannot...

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2007, 03:56 PM

Numbers 1.0 said 'The document is encrypted and can't be opened.' I don't get it since it's just a normal Excel file.

Meanwhile, I read about that the downloadable version of iWork '08 (via trial) costs $49, but I can't find it.

On the bundled templates, none of the formulas were written in simple English.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Aug 9, 2007, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Amorya View Post
How odd. It doesn't. I'd never noticed that before.
Be happy about that. Sadly it is still the case in '08, although I don't think it is as bad as before. Basically it just makes it look like you suddenly switched to Thousands of colours.

As for Numbers, the first Excel file I opened had 8 or so errors to report, including a denial of 'controls', which basically rendered that file useless in Numbers, as it had a menu controlling what was shown in a graph. Other simpler files came across fine , but I guess I'll still be using Excel for that sort of thing.

Anyone know if there are any row/column limits in Numbers? I've been trying to get Office 2007 installed on my work PC as Excel's 65536 x 256 limits are a real pain before that.

ramcosca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 12:02 AM

So here's something cool - Pages now has better MS Word support than MS Word 2004 - Pages can use Word 2007, while Word 2004 cannot...
This isn't only Word! It also works for PowerPoint and Excel files! It opens all Open Office formatted documents (Open Source suites and Microsoft 2007's XML formatted files are included there).

I had the opportunity to test this with a PowerPoint 2007 file today. I opened it on Keynote (it opened perfectly) and then sent to YouTube (just to test it out; here's the link if you're interested). It worked perfectly and my little brother can finally study his PowerPoint presentations while on YouTube... just another excuse to watch some more music videos. Bad idea, I guess?

MartiNZ
Senior User
Aug 10, 2007, 12:05 AM

To answer my own question ... 256 columns is Numbers's limit . Not sure about rows yet - it took a good few minutes to get Numbers to that many columns and I'm worn out.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2007, 12:39 AM

Here's a question: in Keynote, for building in/out text or an image, there's one option that is listed under a header "Effects that can't be played on this computer" - Flame. I'm on a MacBook CD 1.83... is my laptop really unsupported? Also, what does this effect look like, out of curiosity?

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2007, 12:51 AM

You can't save your work with a trial version, is that true?

Cold Warrior
Aug 10, 2007, 12:54 AM

not true. I'm saving stuff all the time.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2007, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Here's a question: in Keynote, for building in/out text or an image, there's one option that is listed under a header "Effects that can't be played on this computer" - Flame. I'm on a MacBook CD 1.83... is my laptop really unsupported? Also, what does this effect look like, out of curiosity?
It's a fire animation. Probably your graphics card.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2007, 01:05 AM

In Pages 08, can you rotate text, or rather, change its direction to go vertical vs. horizontal as you can in Word? I have some rubrics I use in my classes that have a row of vertical text, and this would be the one thing to keep me from ditching Word for Pages.

EDIT! Found the answer on Apples support discussion. It's a bit more work than in Word, but you can do it, "put the text in a separate text box, set it as "Fixed to page" in the Wrap Inspector, and then in the Metrics Inspector rotate the box."

So long Word!
( Last edited by AC Rempt; Aug 10, 2007 at 01:19 AM. )

Sage
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2007, 01:13 AM

If you buy the trial version, how does reinstalling work? Assuming the package file is lost, do you just re-download and input the same serial number?

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2007, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Sage View Post
If you buy the trial version, how does reinstalling work? Assuming the package file is lost, do you just re-download and input the same serial number?
Yep. The trial is exactly the same as what you buy in the box. The only difference is that the box comes with a serial.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2007, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
You can't save your work with a trial version, is that true?
you can save within your 30-day trial period but after that you wont be able to save.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I bought iLife but figured I'd hold off on iWork for a while. I installed the trial now and the educational price of iWork is $71, but if you opt for the instant serial number the price goes down to $49. Not bad.
Where did you find this price? I downloaded the trial and am considering purchasing it. When I click to buy, the price is exactly the same whether you opt for the instant serial or you go to an Apple Store and purchase it in the box. $79 for "normal" version and $71 for educational.

I call BS on this $49 instant serial price - at least directly from Apple.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2007, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Where did you find this price? I downloaded the trial and am considering purchasing it. When I click to buy, the price is exactly the same whether you opt for the instant serial or you go to an Apple Store and purchase it in the box. $79 for "normal" version and $71 for educational.

I call BS on this $49 instant serial price - at least directly from Apple.
No it's not BS, I got it too. Maybe they changed it now - I can't see the trial purchase price any more since I bought it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules