Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Wait For New ipod?

Wait For New ipod?
neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2007, 11:38 PM

Does anyone have an idea or t=is there any rumers going around on when the new ipod is coming out. I was thinkin on buying a refurbed 80 gig but IDK if its worth just waiting for the next gen and how much it will cost because it will proboly have a toucscreen. Oh And BTW excuse my spelling its late and I dont care... But any feedback would be great.
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2007, 11:46 PM

I would wait. Apple isn't to going to enter this holiday season without updating the iPods. I'm guessing we are going to see an update around the end of September.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 22, 2007, 12:29 AM

Definitely wait, but don't count on the next iPod having a touchscreen.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2007, 07:34 AM

I'm waiting, my iPod broke last month and I've been patiently waiting. Makes my commute to work a little long since I cannot listen to music but in the end, I might as well spend $$ on a new generation since its presumably so close

jpa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2007, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Definitely wait, but don't count on the next iPod having a touchscreen.
Why is that??? couldn't the touch screen used on the iPhone be implemented on the next generation high end iPod???
jp
jp

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2007, 06:36 PM

^ and potentially bastardize iphone sales?

Well...Probably . But not for a year or more IMO.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 22, 2007, 07:26 PM

We don't know for sure what the new iPod will be like, but the leaked screenshots (if genuine) point to a scroll-wheel equipped, non-touchscreen model. And yes, I happen to think that they will want to keep the iPhone looking special for a while longer.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2007, 01:03 AM

Apple might run (above the iPod shuffle) two different iPod lines:
  • The iPod nano with flash RAM and scroll wheel (and reduced size, if rumors are true).
  • The big iPod with hard drive, big touch screen, more applications and some more bells and whistles.
This way there would be a clean line between these two products and Apple can cover a bigger market segment with a bigger diversity.

The number of MP3 players having a touchscreen and being capable of more than just playing audio and video is growing. Apple would not be cutting their iPhone sales (it doesn’t even hurt much if you cut your own sales with another product of yours because in the end you sell one of your products, one or the other) but would expand into the touchscreen player segment that already exists.

-

Bunit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2007, 11:46 PM

Just wait.. Even if you don't want the new one, you'll be able buy the old one for discount for sure.

Forum Links
Forum Rules