Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Good time to buy a MB?

Good time to buy a MB?
Drew
Aug 21, 2007, 08:39 PM

I'm on the verge of buying a macbook, and I am curious if i should wait untill leopard is released or untill they announce new macbooks, or buy now? I can survive without one, but i need a laptop soon.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2007, 09:20 PM

Yes and no.
It was 'refreshed' just over 3 months ago, but it was a really meager (and frankly, disappointing) upgrade: +167Mhz CPU, +20GB HDD, and +512MB RAM. At the time Intel had newer/faster/cheaper chipsets (slight CPU performance increase, RAM limit doubled, significant graphics performance increase) available, but Apple chose to pass on them. Some people think they'll wait the usual 9 month upgrade cycle, others think it was just a 'tide over' so they could push out more significant upgrades to the MBP/iMac and that the next upgrade to the MacBook will be sooner and more substantial.

If you're happy with the RAM capacity of the current MacBook and don't play games, I'd go for it. If you can't wait another 3-6 months for an upgrade, I'd go for it. Otherwise just wait it out.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2007, 10:18 PM

At least wait until Leopard comes out and save $129 if you can.

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2007, 11:24 AM

If you are a student though, I would get it! Free iPod Nano and printer thru sep 16 (i think)...plus Leopard might come with some initial bugs so buy leopart after the first update and not for $129 but $79 with your student discount...that is if you are a student !

PS: I got my MB yesterday

Drew  (op)
Aug 22, 2007, 11:31 AM

Well, I'm a canadian high school student, so that's a 2 no's on the educational discount. My parents gave me the ok go on buying it, so I'll have it in a few days. One problem is I have 2 macs, so when I get leopard, will I have to get 2 copies? Also, tell me your thoughts on your new macbook. =D

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2007, 11:34 AM

This is what I wrote on another thread on this forum...

"I GOT IT last night I am so happy ! The MacOS X file tranfer feature is great ! All my stuff was passed on to the MacBook with no problems and it saved me a bunch of time!

The MacBook it self is great, the screen is really nice and bright the extra inch (12 to 13) is a big difference a great compromice between portability and size. I am loving the scroll feature on the mouse pad and the keyboard has a good feel to it too. The best thing of all is that is it BLAZING fast compared to my 12PB, well I had never hada over 1 Gig of RAM in my previous computers and I spoiled my self on this one and put 2 Gigs on it. The finish on the case is good too, I know it will get finger prints but the feel of the whole computer when close is more rugged or "rock" feel than the 12PB.

The only small nick I have is that I want to change the "name" of the computer since the file tranfer place the same name that my PB12 has, I was hoping someone here could give some direction on how to do this, I can't remember how to do it !

Thanks & go get your MacBook !"

Drew  (op)
Aug 22, 2007, 12:41 PM

We were about to go get it today, but my mom called and said for me to do research and decide which one I want, which I have known for a few months. I did a little more research, and I'm going to go for the 2.16 ghz white 120 gig hd 1 gig of ram macbook. I have 2 gigs of ram in my iMac c2d so i'm just going to swap one of the 1 gig chips for one of the 512 chips, so then they each get 1.5! =D

Is there anything you would reccomend for me to buy with the macbook? Should I get a case? sleeve? protective stuff?

redhot_nyc
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2007, 02:47 PM

Just get 2GB of ram; should cost you about $80 total
I would also recommend a keyboard protector (iSkin proTouch) and possibly even an Invisible Shield. I use both, but they're not cheap for what they are. Alternatively some generic screen protector material would work well on the trackpad and wrist rest area (gets worn out and unsightly very quickly)

But really, I don't think it's a great time to get a MacBook. It's a great machine but the integrated graphics is noticeable when using the "Pro" apps. The MacBook Pro is a far more capable machine and I wish I had coughed up the extra cash for it.

Drew  (op)
Aug 22, 2007, 06:35 PM

Well, I have an iMac for using pro apps, so I'm cool with the graphics. I'm just about to leave to go buy it! =D Would I have to get the protectors online? Or are they sold in retail stores. The only apple store near me is like 4 hours away in duluth, so I can't go there. Apple needs more canada stores that aren't in toronto. I think there's 4 apple stores in all of canada, and 3 of them are clustered, one in québec.

Drew  (op)
Aug 23, 2007, 12:18 AM

I just went to futureshop and bought it! and OH MY GOD, ITS SO AWESOME. If anyone out there is thinking of getting one, just do it. One thing, Did you notice how freakin' sharp the edges are? My wrists are sore just from typing. Mine didn't come with ilife '08 so I just went to apple and ordered it for $10. The ship date is like, september, so that's not very fun.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Aug 23, 2007, 12:44 AM

I've gotten used to the sharp edges.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2007, 05:36 AM

Honestly, I wonder why people ask advise at all and then, even when answered quickly, heed none of it. You're welcomed to buy whenever you buy, but if you're going to buy it regardless, why even ask?

Sorry for the rant, but this genuinely peeves me off.

Anyway, congrats on your new MacBook. Hope you enjoy it very much till you're ready for a new machine.

deeper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2007, 11:31 AM

Congratulations! I go back and forth on whether to get one now or not. I have to save a little more, so by the time I'm ready, (hopefully) there will be an update. But you've got yours now, so enjoy.

vtboyarc
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2007, 04:45 PM

Is it worth it really? I need a laptop, and the only reason I would wait is if a beter graphics card comes out, right when leopard is released.

macwayne
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2007, 06:37 PM

Congrats Drew on your new Macbook It's perfectly OK to get excited about it and wanting to share that joy with fellow users here. After all, this is a community and post what you want! I already have a MacBookPro and am thinking about getting the BlackBook also (I love it so much!).

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2007, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by vtboyarc View Post
Is it worth it really? I need a laptop, and the only reason I would wait is if a beter graphics card comes out, right when leopard is released.
Well, since Apple keeps things quiet, nobody can say for sure, but I'm willing to bet Apple is upgrading the MacBooks to Intel's newest, less-sucky integrated graphics chip, and I'm willing to bet that there will be MacBook updates either before the holidays or in January.

If the graphics update is due for the next update is anyone's guess, but it would seem to make sense.

Conclusion: I would wait. You won't have to spend $100+ on Leopard and you might get upgraded graphics capability.

Forum Links
Forum Rules