Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > no ram upgrade for me!

no ram upgrade for me!
SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2007, 01:03 AM

so I get my 24" iMac with 1 gig of ram, now I have another stick of 1 gig, and go through the "upgrading ram" specs in the maual, just like I have 10 times before, and before I even start, I notice the tiny screw is rounded out!!! WTF?!!! Nothing I have fits like even close!

wow, I've seen really shabby builds/tolerances on Apple products before, but never anything this crazy. I had them build it to include a 500 gig HD but no Ram upgrade, so why was this even touched?

Now the best part is I get to what? Take my iMac 70 miles into the city to have them not be able to fix this cause they dont have a machine shop on site? Send it away for 10 days and have no computer? Just break into the bottom and F it all up. Calling their support tomorrow since they are closed now in India apparently.

I would care much les if I had even a spare hour in my life right now.....
great

end rant.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2007, 01:30 AM

Just ask Apple so send you a new scr... oops won’t work.

I have no idea how much power is needed to loosen these screws, but sometimes a sharp bladed, small screwdriver or a blade where the tip got broke off can get some grip in such screws when pressed into.

-

SeSawaya  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2007, 01:33 AM

yah, I've tried a few things lightly as I really dont want them to thing it was my fault, but even pressing into it I couldnt get it to so much as budge. I think it's 10x worse design than my previous iMac.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2007, 03:48 AM

A) that sucks.

B) be happy that your store is only 70 miles away, mine is farther.

C) I will be checking my iMac door as soon as it's light.

D) they're gonna think you did it any way you cut it :-)

bembol
Aug 23, 2007, 05:02 PM

It does suck. It's looks easy but it's a PIA, I had to go through severeal Philips' sizes.

I read that Steve Jobs said, the RAM Screw is the only one used on the new iMac's. Why not just elimate it compeleted/make things really easier.

Good luck.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Aug 23, 2007, 05:15 PM

Try a few of these sites:

Removing rusted and broken fasteners - Crankshaft Coalition Wiki

Remove a stripped screw or bolt. - Instructables

They may have some info that will help you out.

And in any event, if you do try to fix it yourself...GO SLOWLY! Patience is always the most important tool in any mechanic's tool box.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2007, 06:53 PM

Incorrect. Duct tape is the most important. Patience is a close third, just behind cold beverages.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 23, 2007, 08:45 PM

I tried my "precise" #0 Phillips screwdriver to open the RAM cover on my 20" iMac, and it wouldn't turn the screw-the screw was too shallow. My "inexpensive" #0 Phillips, that came in a Memorex "computer tool kit" I got as a gift many years ago, worked fine though.

I'd take that bad boy in to the nearest Apple Store and make one of those "Genius" guys help you out. It should be patently obvious that YOU didn't round out the screw because that leaves shavings. You got a manufacturing problem with your door, and Apple should make it right.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules