Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Final Cut Pro PPV version on an intel iMac via Rosetta: slow?

Final Cut Pro PPV version on an intel iMac via Rosetta: slow?
Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2007, 02:14 PM

If you run a PPC version of Final Cut Pro on an Intel Mac, how much will Rosetta slow it down?

On a white, matte screen 24" iMac Core 2 Duo..... will Final Cut Pro 4 run at approximately the same speed as on a G5 2.1 ghz iMac, or will it run slower, or faster? (I'm planning 2,5 or 3 GB on the intel iMac).

What are the other downsides of Rosetta, besides speed? (Ram useage, for example?)

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2007, 08:27 PM

I haven't tested this yet, but reports that I've read indicate that running a non-universal version of FCP on an intel Mac is very unstable and very slow. If you choose to proceed, prepare for a headache.

But since you already own a full version of FCP, you qualify for the "Upgrade from Final Cut Pro or Production Suite" price for Final Cut Studio 2, $699. Academic and Not-For-Resale versions are not eligible for this upgrade.
I gotta have more cowbell.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2007, 03:05 AM

A lot; you don't want to use a non-native version of FCP.

Apps running through Rosetta use a ton of ram (~2x the usual amount).

Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2007, 11:01 AM

If you haven't yet bought an iMac, then I'd go for the 20" 2.1 GHz G5 if you plan to use it mostly for your Final Cut, seeing as it is not an Intel App.

G5 is still plenty modern.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2007, 09:22 PM

Thanks for your replies!

So I see only two ways: either upgrade from 4.0 to whatever I can upgrade to (5.1 or 6.0) AND buy the new 24" iMac...

or keep everything as it is, as for now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules