Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New G4/Pro Speaker audio dropout

New G4/Pro Speaker audio dropout
inio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2001, 09:27 PM

I've been having some dropout at low volumes with my new Pro Speakers. The intro to Dear Produce (off the white album) and all of Her Majesty (off Abbey Road) are both particuarily susceptable to this dropout.
It seems as if the amp that drives the speakers is turninging itself off a little early. I've found that playing a 42hz (aha, so thats what its the answer to!) tone in the background will keep the amp alive (as long as the tone is loud enough, 8% with my volumes set up as they are now) but I've been informed that this could cause ear/brain/speaker damage even over relatively short periods of time.

Does anyone have anothe work around or a fix to this problem? Should I contact Apple?

Scribble
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2001, 09:31 PM

I've noticed the same thing. I'd contact them and see what they say.

Let me know...

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2001, 05:22 AM

Me as well, but are we sure its just the speakers, or the mp3 player... I noticed that this happends in iTunes

Scribble
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2001, 10:02 AM

Ah... I've actually never used any other mp3 player on my new G4.

If I get some time laer, I'll play around and se what is up.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2001, 12:20 PM

I have noticed the same thing, but not with Apple Pro Speakers. It happens both with a G3 B/W 350 running OS X and the G4 500 OS9.1. As was previously stated, are we sure this is a speaker issue? One machine is using the OS X Music PLayer, the G4 uses iTunes. Hmmm.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

None
Feb 6, 2001, 01:23 PM

I noticed this on my new G4 dual 533 just in the sound test control panel. If you play the static sound, it starts off ok, but then drops significantly.

mkincaid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2001, 09:07 PM

Dear Produce!? Wasn't it Dear Prudence?

ariella
Feb 7, 2001, 12:43 PM

hey, maybe they were drooling over some fresh fruits and veggies.

audiojens
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2001, 06:57 PM

I have compared the Pro Speaker output of Mindchimes, a windchime simulator that has long ring decay times, with the headphone output of my new G4/466. While the tones decay normally on the headphone output, the Pro Speaker output truncates the decay (much like someone touching the chime before the ringing has died completely away.

I think this is a function of the digital amplifier on the new G4s.

Please email me at the address below if you can verify a difference in dropouts between headphone and amplified Pro Speakers on a new G4.

Dave Jensen <[email protected]>
Dave

Castor
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2001, 09:16 PM

Iam not sure I am problemfree, but it seems that mine work OK! I have not noticed any drops, neither in MP3s nor in system snds.

Forum Links
Forum Rules