Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Could someone with a 3rd gen "fatboy slim" nano do me a favor?

Could someone with a 3rd gen "fatboy slim" nano do me a favor?
michaelb
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2007, 02:56 AM

I'm looking at replacing my 1st gen nano with a 3rd gen. The thing is, I only use it when I go to the gym and always have it hanging from a set of lanyard earphones, and I want to keep using it this way.

UPDATE: found out info, spacing is same. 1st gen lanyard connector snaps in just fine on 3rd gen
( Last edited by michaelb; Sep 10, 2007 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Update: found out the info)

michaelb  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2007, 09:02 PM

To answer my own question in case it helps someone else...

The spacings are virtually identical.

That means the connector for a set of lanyard earphones for a 1st gen nano fits in the 3rd gen nano just fine.

And they work (and look) great!

michaelb  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2007, 09:10 PM

By the way, the screen on the nano reminds me:

There is an area where the little fatboy nano kicks the ass of the iPhone (and iPod touch?)

Lyrics!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 9, 2007, 10:01 PM

Yeah, I hope that's just something that they didn't get around to adding to the iPhone/touch. I don't use them that often, since you generally have to go to the trouble of adding them manually, but it's a nice feature.

michaelb  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2007, 04:57 AM

I patch up my iTunes Library as a sort of procrastination to doing actual work! Beats sharpening pencils.

With the right web site (metrolyrics.com is good), adding lyrics by cut & pasting is easier than adding album art.

(Which itself on the current generation of iPods is getting to be almost mandatory (or at least very uncolorful if not). I find iTunes only gets art about 75% of the time.)

BigSim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2007, 06:26 AM

I have a question about stuff fitting stuff too, rather than making my own thread. I have an Altec Lansing inMotion im500 speaker thingo for my 2nd generation nano, and the only thing that plugs in is the dock connector. Can any of you early fat nano adopters tell me if there's any reason the new nano wouldn't fit it?

michaelb  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2007, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by BigSim View Post
I have a question about stuff fitting stuff too, rather than making my own thread. I have an Altec Lansing inMotion im500 speaker thingo for my 2nd generation nano, and the only thing that plugs in is the dock connector. Can any of you early fat nano adopters tell me if there's any reason the new nano wouldn't fit it?
I was at a shop yesterday and the sales assistant was showing a customer all the different iPod speaker systems they sold (about 8 of them), by putting an iPod into each and playing some music.

The iPod being used was a brand new 3rd gen nano, and had no trouble at all snapping into every speaker.

Chances are it'll be just fine.

The only problems would be anything that had a "coffin" or tray specifically shaped for a specific model iPod, eg, a earlier thin nano. But anything that could take a regular iPod (3rd gen or later) would definitely be okay with the fatboy as its base is still thinner than a regular iPod.

BigSim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2007, 05:06 AM

Awesome, cheers michaelb!

jmekpj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2007, 12:41 PM

That's great to hear since I have been searching forums trying to find out if my new 3G nano will dock with any speakers...do you know specifically if it will fit the Logitech mm50 or altec lansing im500/im7?

Forum Links
Forum Rules