Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > the iPhone is phenomenal

the iPhone is phenomenal
macintologist
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2007, 12:31 PM

ok so I am at a gate at Minneapolis airport waiting for the flight to arrive. I am on edge and using jivetalk to do aim chatting with my mother who lives overseas. I dpnt have to bring my powerbook with me when i travel and i dont have to pay 10 bucks for wifi. This experience right now is unreal. You wouldnt understand it until youvr gotten an iphone for yourself and tried it out. Yes edge is slow but on iphone optimized sites like jivetalk and facebook it isnt bad at All. A little complaint right now in this situation is that when you typing into a web form like this it doesnt auto correct whoch is crucial to fast accurate typing but they do it so that it doesnt autocorrect a login name so i dont know what the comprimise would be. Have a good day macnn and if you are unsure about getting an iphone well the least i can say is that using one is an incredible experience!

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2007, 03:14 PM

You can't type in paragraphs on an iPhone?

Yeah, the phone pretty much rocks though.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2007, 03:16 PM

I was the same way, once I took my first flight with mine I really realized how great the phone really was.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2007, 03:27 PM

Exact same way I am/was.
Still loving my iPhone just as the moment I bought it. Though the auto correction not working in a forum has not happened for me, actually it did once. I closed out of the browser and reloaded and auto correction worked fine.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2007, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
You can't type in paragraphs on an iPhone?
Huh? The Return key doesn't work?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2007, 05:58 PM

His paragraph wasn't that long...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2007, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
ok so I am at a gate at Minneapolis airport waiting for the flight to arrive.
I thought all the cool kids hung out in the bathroom while at Minneapolis' airport.

ImpulseResponse

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
His paragraph wasn't that long...
Oooohhhh, I get it now...

Disregard my previous post.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2007, 01:53 AM

Anyone tried "tethering" - using the iPhone to connect to EDGE, then sharing its connection to a laptop through ad hoc wi-fi.

(Needs a few unix commands installed to set up.)

Krusty
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2007, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
Anyone tried "tethering" - using the iPhone to connect to EDGE, then sharing its connection to a laptop through ad hoc wi-fi.

(Needs a few unix commands installed to set up.)
I've not tried it but I'd like to. The lack of tethering is one of a couple of flaws I've found with my iPhone. I formerly used a Nokia to tether my iBook and, while the iPhone is a completely adequate substitute for the iBook in *most* cases, there are still times I'd like to be able be on a "serious" computer for more intensive work.

Any link out to how to make this work ?

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2007, 07:54 AM

Whatever you do, don't tap your foot in the bathroom stalls!

PBG4 User
Senior User
Sep 11, 2007, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by nstehle View Post
Don't tap that ass either.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

krove
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2007, 10:45 AM

Why not just refrain from using stalls altogether...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2007, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by krove View Post
Why not just refrain from using stalls altogether...
I prefer using the womens bathroom (its safer and cleaner).. THEN its safe to tap your foot and that ass.

ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2007, 12:25 PM

I really appreciate finding these kinds of posts--folks just reporting on why and how they are enjoying the iphone.

Just got back from Germany last night and heard (while over there, mind you) that the price had dropped. Woohoo!! Glad I only bought chocolate there, so I can go shopping here.

But macintologist, I've traveled in and out of Baltimore, Dulles, Denver, (won't count the European cities/airports) since the iphone launch and have not witnessed anyone using our beloved device.
So I've been real curious why I don't see many fellow passengers whipping out those iphones once the plane has landed or while hanging at the gate. Still see lots of Treos and Blackberrys though.

Kadarin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by nstehle View Post
Especially if you have a "wide stance"...

Anywyay, I just picked up an iphone myself, and love it so far.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 02:00 PM

Sometimes a device can have flaws and still be amazing. I never really thought about the airport. That would be amazing. Some of those places are just CRAZY regarding how much they charge. I've seen $10 for 20 minutes...

In Russia, it was 5 rubles per minute... which was nothing!

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2007, 01:15 AM

San Diego airport just started offering free Wi-fi, and it's great! I was waiting for my girlfriend's plane to come in Monday night, all the while following the football game, emailing and generally messing about on the Web. So cool.

And tonight at dinner, I was showing some of the features to a friend, and she went nuts over video on the iPhone. She couldn't believe it looked that good.

It may have its flaws, but I love my iPhone.

Cold Warrior
Sep 14, 2007, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
In Russia, it was 5 rubles per minute... which was nothing!
Do you remember where, and on what provider? I go there occasionally and have wondered about cell phone data costs and capabilities (full internet/email?).

Fred33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2007, 09:38 AM

Yea Airports have gotten a lot more with it ever since wifi has gotten more usage. I love the fact that besides the airports, major cities are beginning to have wifi available for little to nothing. I love my iphone too. I would be lost without it.

krove
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2007, 11:22 PM

I was just at BWI: no free wifi. Now I'm in Phoenix, where there is no free wifi. At least I have some Internet connectivity with my iPhone and EDGE.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Oooohhhh, I get it now...
Too quick there, Einstein

Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2007, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Too quick there, Einstein
Hey, I had a long day... yeah, that's it...

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2007, 07:16 PM

I gotta chime in also, because there are far too many threads complaining about this tiny flaw or that tiny flaw, but I also LOVE my iphone.

I was a blackberry user for 2 years, and that is a SOLID device - I loved my blackberry. And the iphone isn't perfect. But its awesome. They need to work on the email client (a unified inbox, and multiple delete would be great), and the SMS client - (multiple recipients???). I think the email client is the worst part of the phone. The phone NEEDS to download the emails to the phone locally. If I can see them in the inbox, I should be able to view them (ala blackberry) the iphone has to connect to the network to download the message each time I select a new message - its awful. Download the messages in my pocket, and have them waiting when I check...

But for a 1.0 media device/cell phone....WOW. Apple should be proud. It IS the best iPod ever. I am sure its crazy in CA now...dealing with the iphone, Leopard, new imacs, all new ipods, negotiating europe iphone deals, new itunes deals, they have their hands full.

Bought the iphone day 1. LOVE IT.

I'll upgrade to the 3G version the day it comes out.

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2007, 01:01 AM

I agree. I have two mail accounts and something going between the two of them is too many taps away. If Apple could somehow make the other inbox just one tap away that would be a big help. Also concerning local mail, why not have Apple just ask the user how much local mail they want downloaded onto the iPhone? I would set it to ignore attachments and download 2MB worth on each account which is plenty, perhaps a good 30-50 emails.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2007, 12:18 PM

Its exactly *4* taps from one inbox to the other. I have 2 accounts that I use regularly, and switching between them all day is PAINFUL. Dozens of taps a day switching between inboxes. That needs to be fixed, as does storing mail locally - leave attachments on the servers, but download the email text locally. This may be a problem with the fact that mail.app uses html email. But on the bberry, when a message showed up in your inbox - it was on your phone.

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Forum Links
Forum Rules