Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > MacRumors says ringtones from iTunes is avaiable

MacRumors says ringtones from iTunes is avaiable
imemikey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2007, 02:26 AM

iMac 24 inch 2.8GHz | 2GB RAM
MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 3GB RAM
MacBook 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
iPhone 8GB
ViewSonic 22 inch Monitor

tmelcher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2007, 03:14 AM

You have to enable it--try creating a ringtone out of any song, then it will add it to your account.

I'm much more interested in adding ringtones the Fair Use-inspired free way, via Garage Band and file system access, but, I must say, I am highly disappointed in the selection. Of all of my collection, the only things available are the Lost in Translation soundtrack, a random Frank Sinatra album (who, despite my love for modern alternative, I adore), and a random song from The Band I don't really care about.
Mac Pro, 2x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Xeon
MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo
16GB iPhone 3G
Airport Extreme + Airport Express dual access point setup

k2director
Senior User
Sep 11, 2007, 03:59 AM

A lot of my tracks indicate ringtone potential, but when I try to create the ringtone, most of the tracks won't bring me to the editing interface. Only a handful of ringtone-friendly songs actually allow me to create the tone itself, which is frustrating!

Make sure you have "Ringtone" checked in your View Options. I believe it's automatically enabled for the Music category, but not for Purchased Music.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2007, 04:17 AM

Will anyone actually do this? Everyone will just make their own for free and put it on the iPhone using another method.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2007, 07:53 AM

I was going to do the right thing and pay for ringtones, but now I don't know.

Out of 231 purchased songs from iTunes, only 7 of mine are ringtone capable. That's just BS.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2007, 09:08 AM

Looks like they're still updating the store. I have more available now than I did when I left for work this morning.

Also, it'll only tell you if a song you've purchased through iTMS is available as a ringtone. Songs you ripped yourself may be available, but not indicated in your library.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2007, 09:59 AM

almost all my red hot chili peppers purchased (except for stadium arcadium) have bells next to them..

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2007, 12:46 PM

Dang, way lamer than I thought this would be. Almost half of my library is purchased from the store, and maybe 25% of that has the bell next to it (and a good percentage of the ones with the bells are comedy albums, which I don't want as a ringtone).

The only positive is the editor, i love being able to choose the part of the song, fade in/out, and gap really easily.

So now the burden is to you, iToner, give us an editor just like iTunes and i'll pay way more than the $15 for your program!

Edit: Man, I was still looking through my music to see if ONE song I liked could be made into a ringtone, just to experience the software and try it, but I really don't think I'm going to pay 99cents for a song I don't really want as my ringtone in the first place. I just don't understand Apple's stupid policy on this: I would gladly pay 99cents to put any song/ sound file that I have as a ringtone on my phone (even though free would be better, but I've gotten that idea out of my head that that's going to happen). Having to pick and choose from such a small selection of songs is a joke.

Fix this Apple!
( Last edited by Nodnarb; Sep 11, 2007 at 12:57 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules