Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you still have a home phone?

View Poll Results: Do you still have your home phone
Poll Options:
Yes 47 votes (51.09%)
No 45 votes (48.91%)
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll
Do you still have a home phone? (Page 2)
Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 12:48 PM

Yes. When the power goes out, I still have a phone.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
Yes. When the power goes out, I still have a phone.
My cell phone can be fulled charged from single AA battery. Not sure power is a big issue for me.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Your logic eludes me. You can't let your calls go to voice mail if you own a cell phone?
If you let a cell phone call go to voicemail, people will rightly assume you're ignoring them. The same is not true for landlines.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
If you let a cell phone call go to voicemail, people will rightly assume you're ignoring them. The same is not true for landlines.
You can change their attitude pretty quickly. "Hang on, I need to switch hands so I can wipe my ass. Don't you hate the cheap toilet paper in these public bathrooms?"

Cold Warrior
Sep 20, 2007, 01:17 PM

The thing I hate the most though is telemarketing. The same day AT&T turned on my landline, I got telemarketing calls. Within 1 day, they were asking for me by name.

I guess paying to have an unlisted number doesn't mean your name and number aren't sold to the telemarketer trash.

I can't wait until my do-not-call registration takes effect. I've registered many numbers in the past, and it usually takes 3+ weeks before the calls stop (except charities. I'd stop those too, if I could.)

Cold Warrior
Sep 20, 2007, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
You can change their attitude pretty quickly. "Hang on, I need to switch hands so I can wipe my ass. Don't you hate the cheap toilet paper in these public bathrooms?"
That's where you bluetooth headset comes in handy (pun intended). Until it falls out of your ear into the toilet.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 20, 2007, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
The thing I hate the most though is telemarketing. The same day AT&T turned on my landline, I got telemarketing calls. Within 1 day, they were asking for me by name.

I guess paying to have an unlisted number doesn't mean your name and number aren't sold to the telemarketer trash.

I can't wait until my do-not-call registration takes effect. I've registered many numbers in the past, and it usually takes 3+ weeks before the calls stop (except charities. I'd stop those too, if I could.)
Agreed. Especially those calling from the fireman's/policeman's "fraternities". Those are the most annoying of all! "What do you mean you won't support the man and women who risk their lives to keep you safe?", talk about manipulative!

Oh, and those ones taking "polls". "Do you not support a woman's right to chose?"

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Agreed. Especially those calling from the fireman's/policeman's "fraternities". Those are the most annoying of all! "What do you mean you won't support the man and women who risk their lives to keep you safe?", talk about manipulative!
Easy fix:

anti-telemarketing EGBG counterscript

I like this objection:

"I appreciate your concern, Mr/Ms [telemarketing caller] ... but aren't you calling ME ?"

-t

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2007, 03:26 PM

Yes, but like the others, only because I need it for DSL.

design219
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 03:32 PM

This "phone service required for DSL" thing is starting to smell a little like unfair trade practices. If Microsoft can get so much flak for bundling their own browser with their own software, why are their no outcries over this?

I'm sure no expert in these matters, but if someone here is, please explain.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 03:39 PM

what is this thing you call a 'HOME PHONE?"
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Railroader
Banned
Sep 20, 2007, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Easy fix:

anti-telemarketing EGBG counterscript

I like this objection:

"I appreciate your concern, Mr/Ms [telemarketing caller] ... but aren't you calling ME ?"

-t
Bookmarked, printed, sitting next to my phone.

design219
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by shabbasuraj View Post
what is this thing you call a 'HOME PHONE?"
It's Yoda playing E.T.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 04:37 PM

I totally disagree. Proper cell phone etiquette requires that you turn of your phone (or put it in silent mode) in a variety of situations. Additionally, there are any number of times when it is impolite to answer your phone. That's what voice mail is for. It's presumptuous and childish (and a bit arrogant I might add) to assume someone is ignoring you just because they don't answer the phone. You aren't the only thing going on in other people's lives.

Edit: Why do people presume that cell phones mean instant access. They are a convenience item. Where on earth do people get the idea it means you have a direct and immediate line of communication.

design219
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 04:50 PM

They are a convenience item.
Yes, I fully agree. I don't want to be totally available. My wife has one for safety, but I choose not to.

That said, If I could get DSL without the land line, I would probably get a wireless phone, but keep it off most of the time.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2007, 05:44 PM

I totally disagree. Proper cell phone etiquette requires that you turn of your phone (or put it in silent mode) in a variety of situations. Additionally, there are any number of times when it is impolite to answer your phone. That's what voice mail is for. It's presumptuous and childish (and a bit arrogant I might add) to assume someone is ignoring you just because they don't answer the phone. You aren't the only thing going on in other people's lives.

Edit: Why do people presume that cell phones mean instant access. They are a convenience item. Where on earth do people get the idea it means you have a direct and immediate line of communication.
I don't disagree with you, but unfortunately neither of us has that much influence over society.
Chuck
___

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 06:13 PM

They're a convenience item, except for the times when they're decidedly inconvenient.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2007, 07:19 PM

I really don't get the people who argue that it's harder to manage their availability with a cell phone. If anything it's easier. Save for Glenn's (rather odd) example, how often do you get "good" calls on a home phone? How often is it unsolicited calls? How easy is it to turn off? To put on silent? To have it give you any other clue that it's ringing than an annoying audio tone? How quickly can you read the caller id?

A mobile phone makes life so much easier and convenient. Don't want to take that call? Send it to voice mail. Don't want to appear rude? Turn off the ringer and let it ring out. Don't want any calls? Turn it off. Want to not be annoyed or annoy others with a ringer? Put it on vibrate.

The fact that it's on your person, you have quick access to caller id and can make up your mind how you want to handle the call. When you are at home eating dinner and a telemarketer calls, you are bound to get pissed off.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Railroader
Banned
Sep 20, 2007, 07:36 PM

If my job did not require it, I'd probably drop my cell phone plan.

Cell phone quality is far inferior to land lines.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2007, 07:42 PM

I just prefer not having to worry about any of that bs (edit: referring to erik's putting it on vibrate and all that), or about keeping it charged, or about "roaming" calls, or about forgetting it or it falling out of my pocket or getting stolen or sat on or dropped in the wash. I'm tired of the whole mess. I want to simplify.

Also, when the power goes out around here, so do the cell towers. Saying your phone is still charged is like saying you have a backup generator to power your cable modem, so in a blackout you can still surf on your laptop.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2007, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Saying your phone is still charged is like saying you have a backup generator to power your cable modem, so in a blackout you can still surf on your laptop.
Actually, you can. But only via dialup and landline

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2007, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
If my job did not require it, I'd probably drop my cell phone plan.
I thought you were retired.
Chuck
___

Railroader
Banned
Sep 21, 2007, 01:27 AM

I thought you were retired.
I was. Now I work for nearly free <$1/hr.. So technically I am still retired.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2007, 07:22 AM

I have a home phone.

The main reason is because of the bleeding DSL line. I always have the answering machine on, because of automated telemarketing calls and hang‑ups.

My mobile phone is for emergencies only. People can leave voicemail messages, if it's really important, I'll call them back.

Of course, if it's really, really important, they can send a letter, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not opening the door, either—if it's THAT important, they can jump through the hoops of making an appointment first.

I absolutely detest this trend of being reachable all the time, guess I'm old‑fashioned.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2007, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
I'm not opening the door, either—if it's THAT important, they can jump through the hoops of making an appointment first.

I absolutely detest this trend of being reachable all the time, guess I'm old‑fashioned.
This is something that I make it a point to train people on. I've known several people who thought that if they showed up at my door with at most a phone call five minutes before to announce their arrival, I wouldn't be able to turn them away. I never let them in — it's like negotiating with terrorists.
Chuck
___

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2007, 10:50 AM

This is something that I make it a point to train people on. I've known several people who thought that if they showed up at my door with at most a phone call five minutes before to announce their arrival, I wouldn't be able to turn them away. I never let them in — it's like negotiating with terrorists.
I'm happy to have people stop by.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2007, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
I'm not opening the door, either—if it's THAT important, they can jump through the hoops of making an appointment first.
Yep, same here.

Why should I be expected to stop whatever it is I'm doing just because some pleb decides to knock on the door at a particular point in time?

I never answer the door to anyone unless they call beforehand. If they don't have my number to make that call, they have no business knocking on my door. This, of course, gets me in trouble with utilities personnel, who expect everyone to spend every waking minute waiting by the door on the off-chance they'll want to read your meter.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
I'm happy to have people stop by.
Same here. Many of my friends will stop by when they're in the neighbourhood. We do the same. If we're busy we'll tell them and that's the end of it.

Cold Warrior
Sep 21, 2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I never answer the door to anyone unless they call beforehand. If they don't have my number to make that call, they have no business knocking on my door.
Me too. I get a lot of people selling crap, asking for donations, or handing out fliers. Really just a door-to-door version of telemarketing. It's really bad in the suburbs in the US, where I live. So my policy is to never answer the door unless it's someone I know, or someone who can call me from my doorstep if I haven't looked out the window to see it's them.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2007, 11:25 AM

Me too. I get a lot of people selling crap, asking for donations, or handing out fliers. Really just a door-to-door version of telemarketing. It's really bad in the suburbs in the US, where I live.
Since I sold the farm and I'm temporarily in suburbia, I've had a lot of this. The ones that really drive me up the wall are the people who put catalogues through the letterbox expecting you to order from them... ...and then spend an inordinate amount of time trying to get the catalogue back off you so they can go annoy someone else with it.

Originally Posted by Becky and Baz
We're coming to collect our catalogue and your order on Thursday afternoon. If this is inconvenient, please phone Becky and Baz on xxxx-xxxxxx
Like, bugger off. And no I'm not spending money to phone you and tell you that your catalogue is now lining the cats' litter tray either.

Cold Warrior
Sep 21, 2007, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
The ones that really drive me up the wall are the people who put catalogues through the letterbox expecting you to order from them... ...and then spend an inordinate amount of time trying to get the catalogue back off you so they can go annoy someone else with it.[/i]
Hadn't had that one yet. I don't have a letterbox though, just the new-fangled street-corner multi-mailboxes that lock, because the postal service is overwhelmed with new subdivisions and can't handle individual mailboxes.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2007, 11:44 AM

Hadn't had that one yet.
These are the worst - just think Amway crossed with Jehovah's Witnesses and you'll get the picture.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2007, 11:49 AM

I like how they note that "How Clean Is Your House?" is a registered trademark of theirs, but they don't actually use the phrase anywhere on the page. It's like they're just bragging or something.
Chuck
___

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2007, 12:05 PM

I like how they note that "How Clean Is Your House?" is a registered trademark of theirs, but they don't actually use the phrase anywhere on the page. It's like they're just bragging or something.
Nah. Look at the right of the page. They're sponsors of the TV show "How Clean Is Your House" and that's just a standard disclaimer.

They're still s though.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 12:09 PM

I hear ya. You put stuff in my letterbox, it becomes my property. We use it for the same purposes, cat littler box.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2007, 12:26 PM

Yes I have one for my dorm room.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2007, 02:37 PM

I haven't had a land line for voice since 1999, and got rid of it completely in 2000 when my broadband provider switched to full 2-way wireless. I had a broadband solution that used a microwave directional link for downstream, and a modem for the upstream until cable modem service was finally rolled out.
<This space under renovation>

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2007, 10:08 PM

I have not lived anyplace that had a landline for the last 2.5 years.

If the caller wants to read into why I did not answer and feel offended, so be it. That's their problem, and I am not under any obligation to answer my phone, ever, if I don't want to.

Forum Links
Forum Rules