Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Age of Empires III - advanced formations

Age of Empires III - advanced formations
mindwaves
Sep 21, 2007, 04:45 PM

I can't seem to find any settings in this game to set advanced troop formations as in AoE 2. I am referring to the part where you can space out guys in various rows and different formations so they won't get blown up when they stand too close to each other when a cannon fires on them. Also, I am kind of sick of my men chasing after the enemy and I have to call them back...it reminds me of the horrible AI in AoE 1.

abeato6
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2007, 05:27 PM

Neither do i... i've been playing it for a while... those are some of the things i hate about AoE3... i am a huge fan of AoE2 and the shift was not so amazing... :S a lot of features are missing...
MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2GB RAM - 120GB HDD - Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 128MB
WD My Book Premium Edition 500GB
iPod 5G 30GB
80GB PS3

mindwaves  (op)
Sep 21, 2007, 05:53 PM

Agreed. I absolutely despise home cities or whatever they are called. I just want to pick a civilization and fight. Also, when I am choosing the civilizations for my enemies when playing against the computer, I would prefer if it gave me a list of the civilizations as opposed to the name of the emperor/king/queen of the time (e.g. England instead of Queen Elizabeth).

Tyinturru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2007, 10:21 PM

totally agree with all of that... it's really frustrating to have to think of ways to avoid losing due to poor formation. like sending in groups of 5 into different areas... it's just silly.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Sep 27, 2007, 11:10 PM

Yeah I played rather a lot of AoE / AoK online years back, but wasn't impressed with what (admittedly little) I've seen of AoM or AoE III. Home cities and the 'card' system don't appeal, and nor do all the guns for that matter, in RTS in general.

Now that AoE & AoK have a new online play host and I'm about done with WoW, thinking of going back to those .

Certainly a lot to be said about simplicity, and in AoK the unit counter system worked pretty well IMO, as did the decent defense vs. rushing as opposed to AoE. I always liked a long game.

mindwaves  (op)
Oct 10, 2007, 08:06 PM

I don't get the whole card system. My impression is that you build up various cards over time and you can use them (them meaning extra troops and whatnot) to your advantage. So say if I play online against someone with lesser cards, do I have an advantage over them? It doesn't seem quite fair unless the card system does not work in online play. I have not played AoE 3 over GR yet; I have played AoE 2 online however.

Cipher13
Oct 13, 2007, 04:47 AM

AoE3 was great for some short-term, quick entertainment, but the same shortcomings bothered me.

As much as I love historical RTS games, Supreme Commander just cannot be touched as far as RTS games go.

Get it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules