Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X Server 10.2.8 Folder Permissions

OS X Server 10.2.8 Folder Permissions
skeates
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2007, 11:04 AM

Hi there.

I have an issue on a OS X 10.2.8 Server. I rencetly had to recover a hard drives contents onto another drive. I used Disk Warrior and it worked a treat.

Ony problem I have now is that the permissions are all messed up. I have tryed to reset them using "apple key i" and changing the top folder to what it needs to be then applying it to all. I have tried doing in through the Workgroup Manger and that did not work either.

What seems to happen is some files and folders change, but others are unaffected. You can go and change them all Manually, but there are a lot of files. about 70gb worth. So that would be very unafficant and time consuming.

Any one got any ideas on how to sort this problem out. Only way I can think of doing it is via the terminal using chown, but how would you do that to an entire hard disk and it's contents?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2007, 11:15 AM

OS X Server 10.2 is very much outdated. If you're trying to rely on the Finder to reliably change permissions recursively, you should know that that feature didn't work properly until Tiger.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

skeates  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2007, 11:19 AM

I guessed there was some sort of a bug in it. Any ideas how to do this via terminal or with something third party?

hemant
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2007, 11:22 AM

I've not worked with the OS X server but may be there is an option like "Repair Disk Permissions" in the "Disk Utility" app.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2007, 11:24 AM

Repair Permissions in Disk Utility would repair permissions for system files. For other files, you can go the command line route with commands like chmod, cown, chgrp, etc.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

skeates  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2007, 11:38 AM

I guess it will have to do the chmod. Just need to find out what the correct command is. Any one know of a third party app that can do this?

Nivag
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2007, 11:41 AM

If you don't fancy the command line route i've used BatChmod to do this.

skeates  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2007, 12:02 PM

Thanks.

I think that will do exactly what I need. Good tool to have on your side.

Forum Links
Forum Rules