Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Problems formating 3G iPod with new drive

Problems formating 3G iPod with new drive
mudzilla
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2007, 10:47 AM

Hello,

I've fitted a new drive to my old 3G iPod, but am having trouble formatting it.

The drive is a 6006GAH 60GB, into an old 30GB iPod, and it fitted fine, disk spins up ok, and initially mounted as a Windows partition. Attempts to reformat and partition the drive have resulted in no usable partitions, and the drive believing itself to now be only 40GB...

Any suggestions for zapping the drive completely and starting again?

thanks
mud
understand your lives are rubbish

iphonerocks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2007, 07:19 PM

well that werid but some ipods will not work right with anothe hard drive othe than the one that it came with.

mudzilla  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2007, 03:08 AM

Sorry mate, that's bollocks. A drive is a drive, and as long as the height and pin connector is correct, you can swap iPod drives, there are many web sites explaining how it's done (and yes, i've looked through them)

TimeCloud
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2007, 01:13 PM

Have you tried to reformat the drive to FAT32 using a utility on Hirens? I have found that does the trick on occasion. You have to use a HD utility though as the FAT32 limit is 30gb ( 32 actually ).

mudzilla  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2007, 02:54 PM

Funnily enough, I've just done similar at work... plugged it into a PC, and iTunes instantly saw it, downloaded the update and then asked me to plug-in to mains power. Before running the update, the disk was mounted fine, and could be copied to and from the iPod.

The update then ran the firmware thing, and now the iPod works, as a 60GB iPod.

All good.

However, the iPod cannot be seen on the Mac, so I can't copy any tracks to it. Is this due to the 30GB FAT limit? Any solutions to this?

Ok, on further messing about, the iPod will mount via the USB & Cradle, but not through Firewire, and I can't erase or format the drive with Disk Utility...

SO, how do I format a FAT32 iPod drive with USB?

cheers
mud
( Last edited by mudzilla; Sep 26, 2007 at 05:37 PM. )

mudzilla  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2007, 03:28 AM

OK, so I know I'm generally talking to myself here, but someone might find this thread useful if they have the same problem.

Basically, I found it impossible to reformat the iPod after I'd upgraded the HD from a dead 30GB to a working 60GB, and get the firmware on the iPod using a Mac.

It worked first go with no problem on a PC. Using USB, the PC saw the iPod, asked me to restore it, loaded the firmware, then I plugged the iPod into the mains and it installed the firmware. Fired up first go.

Plugged into the Mac with USB, tried to format, didn't manage that properly, errored, disk busy and stuff. iTunes wouldn't restore properly, the old 14289 error message. With Firewire, the iPod wouldn't even mount... until I'd left it plugged in for about half an hour and iTunes just randomly woke up and found it (the battery was fine, it'd been on charge all night). Then, restoring with Firewire wouldn't work, both iTunes and the iPod hung.

So, in a nutshell, I've had to stick with a Windows formatted iPod (not a big deal, but I feel I've lost a small battle and part of my soul) that now mounts as a drive via USB and I can copy stuff to without problem. I have to charge with Firewire, which is a pain in the ass, as this is not how the unit used to work when originally purchased.

If you're having issues reviving a dead iPod with a disk transplant, try Windows. Yuck.

cheers
mud

Forum Links
Forum Rules