Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > I shook hand with the devil!

I shook hand with the devil!
Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2007, 05:39 PM

Are you going to see the movie?

Is General Dallaire also your heroe?

He is one of those Canadiens that is totally selfless and so courageous.

Actually with my dad the only Canadien I truly admire.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2007, 07:10 PM

this is quite a descriptive and well-worded topic

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 27, 2007, 08:11 PM

I thought Monique finally got to meet her hero Hillary.

I keeeiiid I keeeid.

gradient
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2007, 10:38 PM

I'm going to see it. It looks like a good one, even though Dallaire has gone on record saying that he isn't altogether happy with final product. Many changes were apparently made to the original story in his book by the filmmakers. Roy Dupuis was brilliant in The Rocket, too, so I'm looking forward to seeing him in this one.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2007, 05:14 AM

Most definitely going to see it.

Also recommend Shooting Dogs.

"Learn to swim"

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2007, 08:29 AM

Are you talking about the movie Shake Hands With The Devil? I saw it in Summer 2005 at a film festival in Washington, DC. An excellent story about one man's struggle to maintain some semblance of order in the middle of Hell. General Dallaire failed miserably in trying to maintain peace in Rwanda, but not due to any in-action on his part.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2007, 10:14 AM

Different movie. The first was a documentary; this is a movie, and both have their titles from Dallaire's book.

Kinda unnecessary, in my view, given the documentary and "Hotel Rwanda" treatment, but hopefully it'll be good as well.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Monique  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2007, 12:33 PM

I heard that this one will be more graphic. As it was in his book. Hotel Rwanda was tamed. I heard that they actually had to go into the river and get bodies out.

His mission in a sense was not a failure he saved 35,000 people, do you know how many people it is going to be in one generation.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2007, 12:54 PM

Hotel Rwanda's "general" wasn't very accurate.

Yes Monique, I will see this movie. I also highly recommend the book.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2007, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
General Dallaire failed miserably in trying to maintain peace in Rwanda, but not due to any in-action on his part.
How so?

"Learn to swim"

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2007, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Are you talking about the movie Shake Hands With The Devil? I saw it in Summer 2005 at a film festival in Washington, DC. An excellent story about one man's struggle to maintain some semblance of order in the middle of Hell. General Dallaire failed miserably in trying to maintain peace in Rwanda, but not due to any in-action on his part.
Not the documentary film but the script based one...

YouTube - Shake Hands With the Devil - Trailer
( Last edited by shabbasuraj; Sep 28, 2007 at 08:10 PM. )
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
His mission in a sense was not a failure he saved 35,000 people, do you know how many people it is going to be in one generation.
...enough to cause more overpopulation problems for one of the most densely populated regions of the world?

greg

Monique  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2007, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
...enough to cause more overpopulation problems for one of the most densely populated regions of the world?

greg
Don't worry the Hutus murdered 800,000 so I guess it takes care of your over population problem.

I saw the movie on Friday, I was so sad for General Dallaire. Roy Dupuis gave an excellent performance.

The guy in the Calgary Herald said that he did not like it because it did not give enough details. Maybe he wanted to see some Hutus crazed maniacs actually kill a woman or a child.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 1, 2007, 06:03 PM

If the general's mission was to maintain peace, he failed. That he saved tens of thousands of people's lives is irrelevant to his mission. Doing good things is often significantly secondary to accomplishing a military mission-even a peacekeeping mission. Look at Bosnia, Serbia, and the rest of the Balkans; the UN mandate was a serious hindrance to "doing good things" there. Often peacekeepers had to stand by and watch serious crimes occur because they had no authority to do anything about them (and were often out-gunned).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2007, 06:08 PM

Have you read his book, Glenn? It's really quite good, although heavy on acronyms and seemingly trivial details at times...but as a military man you might even enjoy those.

He does have some interesting insights on UN backdoor politicking...interestingly enough, a "pre-famous" Kofi Annan makes numerous cameos as one of Dallaire's UN contacts.

I have heard that the new movie is pretty good. I'm suspecting there probably hasn't been a large US release for either this movie or his previous documentary of the same name.

greg
( Last edited by ShortcutToMoncton; Oct 1, 2007 at 08:23 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules