Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Apple Remote Desktop For the first time!

Apple Remote Desktop For the first time!
I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2007, 09:58 AM

I am using Apple Remote Desktop for the first time. I succesfully comunicate with all my Macs in my home network (I got 3 Macs in house... two wireless and one tower) but I was trying to connect from my laptop (in my work) to my Mac (in my house) and it seems impossible. I need to connect to my Mac at Home here from my work with my laptop.
how can I do that??
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2007, 10:34 AM

You need to setup your home router to forward traffic on port 5900 to one of your Macs. Then, if you need to access your other Macs you'll need to connect from your home Mac receiving traffic on this port to your other home Macs.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2007, 04:16 PM

I just need to connect to my home computer online when I'm on my office at my work. In my house I can connect with all my macs, I don't have problems with that. But I need to do stuff in my Home Computer when I'm on my office Mac. How can I do that?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2007, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by I WAS the One View Post
I just need to connect to my home computer online when I'm on my office at my work. In my house I can connect with all my macs, I don't have problems with that. But I need to do stuff in my Home Computer when I'm on my office Mac. How can I do that?
Exactly what I said.

Juneappal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2007, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
You need to setup your home router to forward traffic on port 5900 to one of your Macs. Then, if you need to access your other Macs you'll need to connect from your home Mac receiving traffic on this port to your other home Macs.
To dumb this down a little:
You have already establisyhed that if you have access to one of your macs, you have access to the others. If you are not in your home network, though, you don't have access to any of your macs. You Do have an IP address for your router though (whether or not you know what it is.) Let's pretend your router's IP address is 213.213.45.2

What you are going to do is tell your router that any connections that come in for port 5900 will be sent directly to computer x (Which will probably have a LAN address like 192.168.0.XX where XX is a number from 2-9 - you'll have to figure that out also) This is called port forwarding. Your router can be configures to allow port forwarding by opening up the control page, which is likely at http://192.168.0.1. You'll see a bunch of options which are organized differently by every vendor. [try clicking on the URL here and see what happens]

Once you have forwarded port 5900 to 192,168,0,3, or whatever the address of the desktop machine you want to access is, go to work. Use Apple Remote Destop to connect to:
213.213.45.2:5900 (Except the first part is not actually YOUR router's IP address - you gotta find that on your own.)

In other words, just like besson3c said ;-)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2007, 05:25 PM

You need to know the IP address of your machines at home.

If you have a dynamic IP internet connection at home (the majority of DSL users do), you need to set up a dynamic dns service at a place like No-IP - Dynamic DNS, Static DNS for Your Dynamic IP (for free) and install a no-ip client on your machine that will keep the no-ip service updated on what your current IP address is.

This way, you will connect to your home network when you look up iwastheone.no-ip.org or whatever you've registered.

This is completely unproblematic and works very well, don't worry.

The problem now is that you have a bunch of machines connected to DSL. So you need to tell the router which of your machines you want to talk to when you connect using Remote Desktop.

To do that, you have to "forward" port 5900 (the port of your internet connection that Remote Desktop connects through) to the machine that you actually want to control.

If you've actually gone and spent the dough on Apple Remote Desktop, though, you really ought to know all this.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2007, 06:43 PM

I believe the default admin page for Linksys routers is 192.168.1.1

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2007, 11:55 PM

Oh my god.... I'm sorry that I'm slow learning how to do this... very sorry... I will read this again and again and I know I will get it. Thanx for the info, I don't want to botter you guys no more. I will really try all of this I promise.

Juneappal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 04:04 AM

Speaking for myself, I can say don't feel like you're bothering me - I answered because I like helping people - and because people help me all the time with this kind of thing. Total strangers even. Figure out as much as you can with what we've given you - try some things out, even if you're not sure yet how/whether they work, and come on back if/when you get stuck. As long as you keep on being polite, and keep on putting in at least as much effort as we do, no one is going to want you to go away.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2007, 04:25 AM

I believe the default admin page for Linksys routers is 192.168.1.1
For setting up the port forwarding.

Most routers have a default of 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, or 192.168.2.1

You can find this out in the System Preferences, in Network. At home, select the network interface and see what it says under "TCP/IP" --> "Router:".

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2007, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
For setting up the port forwarding.

Most routers have a default of 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, or 192.168.2.1

You can find this out in the System Preferences, in Network. At home, select the network interface and see what it says under "TCP/IP" --> "Router:".
ok, I entered my router, it is a SMC one, once I entered I didn't saw an option as you told me here. Please tell me what I need to do as soon as I entered in the SMC router. I need to use my Mac thru my office and everybody is doing it without problems on PCs and me on the Mac am having problems trying to do that! it supposed to be the other way, Mac easy and PC hard. help me here! thanx

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2007, 01:50 PM

"Port forwarding" in routers is often called "virtual server" - at least, I believe that's what D-Link calls it. Never set up an SMC.

If you can see the router's configuration pages, then your difficulties have absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that you're using a Mac.

None at all.

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2007, 07:40 AM

Port Forwarding for the SMC WBR14-G

Here ya go.

This is a link on the web that gives instructions with pics on 'port forwarding' using the SMC router that you have mentioned. Its for a different program but the port forwarding section is what is relevant to you.

Does your router have some help pages or do you have a manual with some info on port forwarding? How about Apple Remote Desktop documentation? My guess is it would be likely that it has some info on setting up your router for the type of access you want.

I hope that his helps

Its pretty hard to figure this stuff out without a decent technical background or prior experience. Some of the guys here know quite allot and so it may seem easy for them So all you tech heads, please go easy Some of the responses i have read above are not easy to follow for someone who doesnt really know how to do this stuff.

Rob.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2007, 08:15 AM

ok, I'm still trying here... I did what you told me to do and it works when I try in my home with my ip address and the port number, but here is my work (I'm using my PowerBook G4 thru another wireless router) it's not working.

here's what I see in my house:

Here's what I see in my work:
( Last edited by I WAS the One; Oct 19, 2007 at 08:35 AM. Reason: correcting/editing pics ...)

DakarÊ’
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2007, 08:17 AM

I hope you didn't block your last name once when you needed to do it twice there.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2007, 08:17 AM

( Last edited by I WAS the One; Oct 19, 2007 at 08:35 AM. Reason: erasing post)

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2007, 08:28 AM

( Last edited by I WAS the One; Oct 19, 2007 at 08:36 AM. Reason: erasing post)

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2007, 08:29 AM

( Last edited by I WAS the One; Oct 19, 2007 at 08:36 AM. Reason: erasing post)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2007, 10:04 AM

You are not going to be able to connect to your Mac from work using your private 192.168.x.x IP, you'll need to use your WAN IP address. Your router will report what this is, or else you can go to What Is My IP Address? - Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more... to figure out your IP.

DakarÊ’
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2007, 10:22 AM

Don't worry, your secret is safe with me, Mr. Gonzales.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2007, 11:56 AM

You need to know the IP address of your machines at home.

If you have a dynamic IP internet connection at home (the majority of DSL users do), you need to set up a dynamic dns service at a place like No-IP - Dynamic DNS, Static DNS for Your Dynamic IP (for free) and install a no-ip client on your machine that will keep the no-ip service updated on what your current IP address is.

This way, you will connect to your home network when you look up iwastheone.no-ip.org or whatever you've registered.
Let me just repeat this, since it obviously didn't go across.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2007, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by DakarÊ’ View Post
Don't worry, your secret is safe with me, Mr. Gonzales.

Dakar3 is back! Where did you go? Did you have sex?

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2007, 02:13 PM

Isn't this the kind of thing that Back To My Mac in Leopard is designed to simplify for novices like the OP?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by awaspaas View Post
Isn't this the kind of thing that Back To My Mac in Leopard is designed to simplify for novices like the OP?
I look forward to this feature too. Meanwhile, I have to leave my desktop on??

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2007, 02:38 PM

Let me just repeat this, since it obviously didn't go across.
Ok I went to that site but what I need to do there? I just choose the free option and it let me put an ip address but what ip address? the one I see when I access ipaddress.com or the one I see on system preferences?? please help me here.

Originally Posted by DakarÊ’
Don't worry, your secret is safe with me, Mr. Gonzales
thanx man!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2007, 02:45 PM

Ok I went to that site but what I need to do there? I just choose the free option and it let me put an ip address but what ip address? the one I see when I access ipaddress.com or the one I see on system preferences?? please help me here.

192.168.x.x
10.x.x.x

Are IP addresses that are only available on private networks, for internal use. Your work computer cannot talk to your home Mac using these IP addresses.

169.168.x.x

is a self assigned IP address used for when your computer cannot get a valid IP

None of this is specific to your Mac, but basic TCP/IP stuff that is the same across all platforms...

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2007, 04:31 PM

Oh Man... I really need to comunicate with my mac ... this is soo difficult! I'm giving up... I need someone that help me step by step,, anyone?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2007, 06:03 PM

192.168.x.x
10.x.x.x

Are IP addresses that are only available on private networks, for internal use. Your work computer cannot talk to your home Mac using these IP addresses.

169.168.x.x

is a self assigned IP address used for when your computer cannot get a valid IP

None of this is specific to your Mac, but basic TCP/IP stuff that is the same across all platforms...
What the HELL are you talking about?

He's trying to sign up for a dynDNS service! Stop confusing him, man!

Albert, ignore besson's post.

the 192.x.x.x address is your machine's INTERNAL network address. This is what it is called INSIDE YOUR HOME NETWORK. The second your home network connects to the internet, your internet provider gives it a new EXTERNAL IP adress. This address will tend to be a different one every time you re-connect, which is why it's called a DYNAMIC IP address (as opposed to a static one).

If you're trying to connect to your home network from OUTSIDE, you first have to know what its EXTERNAL address is - the 192.x.x.x address will obviously NOT WORK!

Because there is no easy way to determine this address, services like no-ip.com will allow you to register your own domain (e.g. iwastheone.no-ip.com).

You then need to download a no-ip client software that runs ON YOUR HOME MACHINE and keeps no-ip.com updated with your machine's current external IP address.

So that when you use Remote Desktop, or your web browser, or FTP, or whatever the hell else, to connect to iwastheone.no-ip.com (or whatever you've registered), no-ip.com will automatically forward you to your home network.

So you go to no-ip.com and click the "sign up" link to sign up for a domain.

Then you download the no-ip client software and enter your domain name and password into that and make sure that it's always running.

Then, from outside, you connect to a NEW MACHINE called "whateverthehellyouregistered.no-ip.com" or "whateverthehellyouregistered.dyndns.org" or whatever the hell you registered.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2007, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
I look forward to this feature too. Meanwhile, I have to leave my desktop on??
Of course.

You can't well connect to a machine that's not running, can you?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2007, 08:50 PM

What the HELL are you talking about?

He's trying to sign up for a dynDNS service! Stop confusing him, man!

Albert, ignore besson's post.

the 192.x.x.x address is your machine's INTERNAL network address. This is what it is called INSIDE YOUR HOME NETWORK. The second your home network connects to the internet, your internet provider gives it a new EXTERNAL IP adress. This address will tend to be a different one every time you re-connect, which is why it's called a DYNAMIC IP address (as opposed to a static one).

If you're trying to connect to your home network from OUTSIDE, you first have to know what its EXTERNAL address is - the 192.x.x.x address will obviously NOT WORK!

Because there is no easy way to determine this address, services like no-ip.com will allow you to register your own domain (e.g. iwastheone.no-ip.com).

You then need to download a no-ip client software that runs ON YOUR HOME MACHINE and keeps no-ip.com updated with your machine's current external IP address.

So that when you use Remote Desktop, or your web browser, or FTP, or whatever the hell else, to connect to iwastheone.no-ip.com (or whatever you've registered), no-ip.com will automatically forward you to your home network.

Then you download the no-ip client software and enter your domain name and password into that and make sure that it's always running.

Then, from outside, you connect to a NEW MACHINE called "whateverthehellyouregistered.no-ip.com" or "whateverthehellyouregistered.dyndns.org" or whatever the hell you registered.

Just trying to teach him something so that he knows what he is doing... How is it not relevant?

As far as actionable advice goes, if his router supports DynDNS it may be easier to setup the DynDNS account info there than to download the client.

IWasTheOne: my advice... You should learn about what it is you are doing rather than relying on just-add-water advice from us. This will all make a lot more sense once you get your head around the concepts here.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2007, 12:52 AM

Actually, at this point, if it's still not working, just wait for Leopard and the back-to-my-Mac feature.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2007, 01:22 AM

Actually, at this point, if it's still not working, just wait for Leopard and the back-to-my-Mac feature.
That requires .Mac, no?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2007, 02:59 AM

It's worth paying for if he's been wasting so many hours trying to figure this out.

Although of course it's a question of what his time is worth.

Reggie Fowler
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2007, 11:26 AM

here is an interesting one. i have ARD working on several computers. All over the internet running behind linksys routers. Nothing is local. all ports are correctly opened.

one computer however i cannot gain access to. i can see it on my list as being available. i can even see that the user is running Safari at the moment, but when i try to connect, nothing happens.

this is the first intel machine i'm trying to connect to (all the others are PPC). not sure if that makes a difference.

what could be blocking my access?

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2007, 04:25 PM

Firewall settings on the computer?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2007, 07:16 PM

Have you updated the client software on that machine (select it in the machine browser and then "Manage" menu)?

Reggie Fowler
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2007, 08:20 AM

yes, it has the latest software versions and the firewall is inactive.
like i said, i can see the computer (even what program they are using) but cannot login.
and yes the login i have is correct.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2007, 03:57 PM

Then, from outside, you connect to a NEW MACHINE called "whateverthehellyouregistered.no-ip.com" or whatever the hell you registered.
Thanx for all the info Analogika I did all you told me, and now I'm using the free no-IP account just to try first, but... (please excuse my dumb questions, I'm not good at all of this and I'm learning step by step) It seems everything's ok, but every time I try to go to that no-IP domain I registered, Safari tells me that it can't open the page because it can't find the server!... Do I need to check that domain in other computer outside only? It means that I can't check it out to see if it works with my Mac in my home? how do I know that that no-IP domain it's working?
Do I need to cancel the foward port that I made on my Router or I leave it like that?

Thanx in advance.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2007, 04:45 PM

Well, yeah, of course Safari won't find the web server, because YOU DON'T HAVE A WEB SERVER.

You're not trying to connect via http, you're trying to connect via Apple Remote Desktop!

Open up Apple Remote Desktop, click on the Scanner, and enter your no-ip domain.
If it connects, it will ask you for your user name and password.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2007, 09:05 PM

OMG! Maybe it will work, I did what you told me and it appear on the Scanner list! Of course I can't connect to my own computer, but it finds it! so, Tomorrow in my work I will try to connect to it, just to see. I hope it works. Do I need to change anything on my router port fowarding settings? or not?

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2007, 12:10 AM

Dude, really, wait for Back To My Mac - you're giving us a headache here.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2007, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by awaspaas View Post
Dude, really, wait for Back To My Mac - you're giving us a headache here.
Doesn't that require a .Mac account?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2007, 02:36 AM

I don't know how much you cost an hour, but if we billed him for our time in this thread, I suspect he'd very quickly opt to pay for .mac.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2007, 02:41 AM

I'd like to know exactly how Back to my Mac works, and what the security implications are of using this tool/feature... Have any of you guys stumbled across any articles or have any theories?

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2007, 07:31 AM

ok.. I'm in my work now and this is what I get:

Any explanation?

---

In other topic. Why some of you get mad at me just becasue I don't know much about networking, I've been here for a long time, and this is what's Macnn Forums is about, for helping Mac users, I help, everyone help. If you come to me with a Mac OS X Question I will be glad to help you, but now I need help on something it's out of myhands... I don't know what to do with my router settings and it seems very complicated. I need help. I bought an Apple app that is design for mac to mac communication and I just can use it for local network... I want to use it from my work and it's getting very hard for me keep making questions. So, everytime you try to tell me "get out of here, we don't want to help you" it hurts baddly. Please, If you don't want to help me then don't help me, I don't know why i'ts so hard to some of you guys helping someone. I'm always happy to help anybody.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2007, 08:05 PM

Please understand I (we) aren't mad, but there are limits to the free support you can get from an internet message board. Some here have spent a LOT of time typing out what I see as very clear instructions for getting it going but this just might be something too complex for you to be spoonfed. What you are doing is NOT a built-in feature of Remote Desktop (it works out of the box on a local network or on public-accessible IP addresses)

I believe your options are threefold:

* Learn a bit more about networking, port forwarding, network address translation (NAT), the difference between public and private IP addresses, etc. and try it again then

* Pay somebody to actually set it up for you or walk you through it

* Buy .Mac and wait for back to my Mac in Leopard.

If somebody wants to help you with it for free on their own time, that's great, but if you come with an attitude expectant of a large amount of free labor from a free message board, you are bound to be disappointed.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2007, 01:59 AM

What he said, and in addition:
If you've actually gone and spent the dough on Apple Remote Desktop, though, you really ought to know all this.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2007, 02:28 AM

I may be tiptoeing on my NDA here (aw, what the hell, only a few more days left anyway), but I don't think Remote Desktop will work with Back to My Mac or any of the new Leopard features. Honestly, I would have just waited for Leopards screen sharing features. They seem to do much more what you are interested in doing.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2007, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I may be tiptoeing on my NDA here (aw, what the hell, only a few more days left anyway), but I don't think Remote Desktop will work with Back to My Mac or any of the new Leopard features. Honestly, I would have just waited for Leopards screen sharing features. They seem to do much more what you are interested in doing.
AIM complains about you being logged in to a single account from multiple locations though, so I guess he'd have to create two AIM accounts and leave his iChat open on his home Mac? Can iChat be configured to automatically accept any files that are offered? If so, while this might be convenient here, it does pose a bit of a security risk too, albeit perhaps an acceptable one here.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2007, 03:01 AM

AIM complains about you being logged in to a single account from multiple locations though, so I guess he'd have to create two AIM accounts and leave his iChat open on his home Mac? Can iChat be configured to automatically accept any files that are offered? If so, while this might be convenient here, it does pose a bit of a security risk too, albeit perhaps an acceptable one here.
I don't think you need to use iChat at all to use Leopard's screen sharing feature... I think this is covered quite a few other places.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Forum Links
Forum Rules