Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > A couple of IPod Touch observations/questions

A couple of IPod Touch observations/questions
craigb6
Oct 16, 2007, 01:13 PM

I just picked up a 16Gb iPod touch and it is pretty damn sweet! However I have noticed a couple of issues with it, and was wondering if anyone knows any solutions to these problems?

1) I am trying to use my iPod touch at school, there is an extensive wifi network at school. There are access points everywhere around the school and they all have the same network name, so you should be able to walk around and always have an internet connection. However if I leave the wifi on and walk about, once I get out of range of one of the access points I lose my net connection. The iPod still registers that it is connected to a network, but I have to disable wifi then re-enable it to get onto the internet. This is annoying as it seems every 10m or so I have to do this!

2) The error correction is simply fantastic! But it sometimes suddenly disappears. I'm typing something in iPheed then it randomly stops correcting what I type! There seems to be no obvious reason why this is happening! Halfway through typing a note it will just stop correcting text.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
MacBook 2.0GHz | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD
http://craigb6.blogspot.com/

tomjennings83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2007, 04:26 PM

hmm i dont know whats goin on there do you have the latest firmware?

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2007, 04:38 PM

Having multiple APs with the same name is not equivalent to having a WDS network. If your school had WDS, then you could roam from AP to AP without getting disconnected at all. If your school simply has the former, then you will have to re-initiate a WiFi connection when you get far enough from your old AP.

That's just the way it works.

craigb6  (op)
Oct 16, 2007, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I have the latest firmware, which it shipped with, 1.1.1. I'll have to check tomorrow about WDS. I'm hoping that these problems can be solved because it is an awesome device, but these things make it difficult to use.
MacBook 2.0GHz | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD
http://craigb6.blogspot.com/

Kingsride
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2007, 12:00 PM

Craig,

You're the first person I've found apparently experiencing the same problems as I do. I, however find I periodically lose connection with my home airport network. The settings pane still shows I'm connected but when I go into it to look at the possible hotspots available all I see is the spinning progress wheel. No netwoks appear available, even my own. I've tried turning off and on the wi-fi switch to no avail. However if I reset the network settings all access points appear immediately (there are some 5 available in my vicinity). This wouldn't be necessarily so tedious if I didn't have to re-enter my rather complcated password as I've had to reset the network settings.

I've discussed this problem at my local Apple Store but being such a new device they didn't have much to offer other than checking for latest firmware and software version, which I do have, 1.1.1.

I think the fact that your school has multiple access points is a red herring, the problem is a little more fundamental.

No help I know but I haven't found another report of this problem anywhere.

PERRY

Forum Links
Forum Rules