Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What level should I place my ATI Radeon X1900 XT?

What level should I place my ATI Radeon X1900 XT?
louh
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2007, 12:23 PM

My last X1900 XT fried and I received my replacement about a week ago. When I placed it in (second level from the top), and rebooted a screen came up which stated that I wasn't using the card at full capacity. From this screen it appeared that the top highest level had a bit more 16X capacity than the second from the top level. So I placed the card in the very top. When I rebooted I still got the same message about capacity. I left the card in the top but there is very little space between it and the bottom internal hard drive. I was wondering if I should move it down again to possibly allow the fan more open air space thus more efficient cooling and hopefully won't have the fried video card problem happen again? I have four hard drives installed so I'm sure that doesn't help the heat situation.
Thanks for any advice,
Lou

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 17, 2007, 01:08 PM

Lowest slot.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

reader50
Administrator
Oct 17, 2007, 01:10 PM

The PCIe slots are numbered, and #1 is the lowest slot, not the highest physically.

louh  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2007, 01:43 PM

Thanks. I have it in the top slot which must be #4. I'll switch it tonight.
Lou
Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
The PCIe slots are numbered, and #1 is the lowest slot, not the highest physically.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2007, 02:50 PM

The orginal card should have been in the bottom slot, slot #1. Slot #1 is specifically made forthe graphics card as it allows space for the fan and the venting out of air through the bracket above (there is a bracket without a slot above slot #1). Ie. there is a double space between slot #1 and slot #2.

PCI Developer Note: PCI Product-Specific Details
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

louh  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2007, 05:39 PM

Thanks. I moved the card down and when rebooted I didn't get the message. I also loaded the new driver update. My screen seems a bit faster now when playing WoW.

Forum Links
Forum Rules