Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > HFS+ files system

HFS+ files system
bearcatrp
Senior User
Oct 24, 2007, 07:55 PM

Just a thought, HFS+ in tiger is 32 bit. since leopard is 64 bit, am I asuming right that the HFS+ will be 64 bit? I am just checking to see if I have to reformat all my drives in my mac pro with leopard.
Thanks
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2007, 08:31 PM

You're just making problems up... the filesystem has nothing to do with the CPU.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2007, 08:48 PM

You're not right. No reformatting needed.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

bearcatrp  (op)
Senior User
Oct 24, 2007, 08:49 PM

I can see why posts on this board is slowing down due to ********s like mduell with your response. All you have to do is answer the question and keep your smartass comments to your self. Now back to the question at hand, looking at this: HFS Plus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , just wanted a clarification on my question.
( Last edited by bearcatrp; Oct 24, 2007 at 08:50 PM. Reason: changed a word)
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

beez1717
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2007, 09:00 PM

HFS+ was a way to store information. It would still store the information the same way. All 64 bit would allow for is faster read/write speed.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2007, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by beez1717 View Post
HFS+ was a way to store information. It would still store the information the same way. All 64 bit would allow for is faster read/write speed.
Incorrect. A 64-bit filesystem allows for much larger disks. At the moment, however, nobody needs more than an exabyte of disk space, so HFS+ is fine with its 32-bit addressing.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2007, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by beez1717 View Post
All 64 bit would allow for is faster read/write speed.
What makes you think that?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2007, 01:16 AM

Wasn't this the same guy who thought Core Animation would make for smaller file sizes for games?

Beez1717 seems to be awfully fond of spouting his own incorrect assumptions as fact around here.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

beez1717
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2007, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Wasn't this the same guy who thought Core Animation would make for smaller file sizes for games?

Beez1717 seems to be awfully fond of spouting his own incorrect assumptions as fact around here.
well it would make smaller sizes for games: all the animations in the menus could be handled by core animation, and it could also be used in simple running animations as well. Also, many repeated animations such as spells could be handled by core animation if I remember correctly....

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2007, 01:31 AM

Where do you get this info? I can promise you that no games will take advantage of core animation to any meaningful extent. Especially not cross-platform ones.

Seriously, stop making wild assumptions and posting them as facts.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 25, 2007, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
You're just making problems up... the filesystem has nothing to do with the CPU.
Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
I can see why posts on this board is slowing down due to ********s like mduell with your response. All you have to do is answer the question and keep your smartass comments to your self. Now back to the question at hand, looking at this: HFS Plus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , just wanted a clarification on my question.
bearcatrp, your post was the one out of line, and has earned a small infraction.

Concerning your question, mduell could have been more wordy, but his answer is in fact correct. Leopard has gone to 64-bit internally for most functions, assuming it's run on a 64-bit-capable system of course. However, the filesystem on disk is completely separate.

Some features have been added to HFS+ over the years (Journaling, the case sensitivity nonsense, ACLs, hardlink support), and they tend to get added during OS upgrades. But the two remain separate. Apple decides they want to implement a new feature in a new OS, so they make a revision to HFS+ to make the new OS feature work better.

HFS+ remains with 32-bit allocation block pointers. Changing that would require new HFS+ drivers to be released for all previous OS versions that still get support. That change won't be needed until we have drives in the exabyte range, which is likely to be circa 2040. By then, we may all be on ZFS anyway. Or the successor to ZFS, which Apple will call ZFS+.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2007, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Or the successor to ZFS, which Apple will call ZFS+.

P
Oct 25, 2007, 01:54 PM

More likely "Macintosh Extended Filesystem Extreme (Journaled)".

Forum Links
Forum Rules