Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Getting Paid....

Getting Paid....
iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Nov 5, 2007, 01:05 PM

So I do graphic design on the side while working for the fire dept. I have really been with this company for the past three years. They have been really good to me, paying all things on time, letting me take trips with them, giving me national work and of course my favorite...me winning an Addy Award.

But lately the owner has been getting behind on payments. He owed around $1500 of work and two months later he sent a $200 check. I did some more work and he owed $1500 again and sent a $50 check. He now wants me to do more work for him and it's getting me angry. How would you handle this situation? I really like the guy and believe he doesn't intentionally mean to do this but at the same time I am getting tired of bread crumbs. Granted I have a fulltime job with the fire dept but basically this is a full time job too because I work from home 2 out of every 3 days.

Sorry if this sounds juvenile but I am still in college and 20.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2007, 01:15 PM

Simple... don't do anymore work for him till he has paid you up to date!!!! I think that's reasonable enough!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Thorzdad
Nov 5, 2007, 02:01 PM

Since it sounds like you are on good terms with the owner, I would suggest you go have a heart-to-heart with him. Face-to-face. Not on the phone. Explain to him that you really appreciate/enjoy the work he sends your way, and you want to continue the relationship.
Explain to him that because he has so much outstanding debt with you that you really can't justify taking-on any more work on anything other than a cash-on-delivery basis. You could escalate it a little further by making it a "no delivery until the check clears" arrangement.

If he's a stand-up guy, he'll understand and want to work something out with you.

On the other hand, if he blows-up and rants about how he can get better work from someone cheaper, you'll know he's an asshole who's been stringing you along because he knows you're not a professional. Kiss him off and head to small-claims court to get the balance he owes.

Unfortunately, when you freelance, you run into a lot of guys who are out to screw you. It's just the way they do business.

Here's hoping he turns out to be one of the good guys.

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2007, 02:28 AM

Never discount the power of a nicely written letter of notice, reminding your client that they are behind on payments, and should they need to set up a payment plan (i know, they suck, but sometimes things happen) to feel free to contact you to work out reasonable arrangements.

It's the nature of any business that people will run behind in payments.....don't be afraid to step up and bring it to their attention.....
Good luck

Forum Links
Forum Rules