Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you believe in karma?

Do you believe in karma? (Page 7)
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2007, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
In general I am skeptical about anyone who thinks they 'know the deal.'
My old sig:
Trust those who seek the truth. Distrust those who have found it.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2007, 05:20 PM

or watch and then kill you, apparently snuff films are getting popular again. Personally, I blame Family Guy.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2007, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
But you don't have the right to tell someone to stop posting.
I didn't say that.

Others may be interested though. I don't post just for you. You asked specific questions I had the answers to. I answered them. Why you wouldn't WANT that answer is beyond me. Maybe it's because I am giving you answers you don't like, or don't have a response to? I don't know. Makes no sense. If I was being honestly curious about a subject, and not just trolling I'd want to know all I could know about a subject. Esp from people that have studied these things. You attempting to pick and choose who gets to respond to you and who does not makes it seem like you have a different agenda than the one you are projecting.
Well, I got the full repertoire there. Look at the difference between how you and Railroader respond to me and you'll find your answer.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Your soul for some pudding pops?

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 8, 2007, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
I didn't say that.
I am sorry, you were telling me to stop responding to you

Kevin, what part of "I'm not interested in what you have to say" didn't you understand?
Basically telling me to shut up.

Well, I got the full repertoire there. Look at the difference between how you and Railroader respond to me and you'll find your answer.
It went from you not having any interest in anything I say, to now how I respond to you. Nothing in my posts to you was out of line.

However, your replies to me were rude and uncalled for.

I assure you me and Rail believe the same things.

I just don't "play the game" and cut to the chase and state it like it is.

There is really only one reason someone would want someone to stop responding to their posts. And it really has nothing to do with the person responding either.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 8, 2007, 05:26 PM

It reminds me of the Mormon episode of South Park.

The whole time they basically sh!t on that religion, but in the end Stan realizes how happy the Mormon family is and eventually sees that even if you believe something others may consider 'stupid' it doesn't matter.

Love and compassion is what humans should strive for, no matter how you slice it.
Galatians 5:14 NASB - For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."

paul w
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2007, 05:29 PM

My neighbor's pretty hot actually...

Railroader
Banned
Nov 8, 2007, 05:32 PM

I'm not talking on a personal level, but the whole idea of organized religion.

You and Kevin both practice your faith outside of the herd, and I respect that. It just seems (to me, of course) that to many believers are almost cocky about how they're saved, and the rest of us are not.

Again, not talking about anyone here personally. It's just my short experience in the Catholic church and observations among the less eloquent hordes of believers.
There's NOTHING cocky about biblical salvation. It's about the most humbling thing you can imagine. I question the beliefs of anyone who professes otherwise.

There are many people who claim to be Christians who are not. I used to be the guy who acted as though I could separate who is and who isn't. I now correctly leave that to God. But the Bible does say that many will say they know God, but really they don't.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 8, 2007, 05:33 PM

As you have seen I have many issues with cocky Atheists, in fact it was the reason I made my first post in this thread.

In general I am skeptical about anyone who thinks they 'know the deal.'
I noted that. Another reason I have a high amount of respect for you.

I don't claim to know "the deal", I claim what I believe. When I am dead, I will know the deal.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2007, 05:36 PM

I am sorry, you were telling me to stop responding to you

Kevin, what part of "I'm not interested in what you have to say" didn't you understand?
Basically telling me to shut up.
I'm making sure you knew I wasn't interested in your content or going to respond. If you'd like to continue to pointlessly respond to the rest of my inquiries, go right ahead. Since this MacNN you may get a response from someone whom it wasn't addressed to.

I assure you me and Rail believe the same things.
Maybe, maybe not. Christianity is notoriously diverse (its strength and weakness). It's pretty difficult to find two people who agree on everything.

But as I said, the key here is how RR is handling my inquires or difficulties.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 8, 2007, 05:39 PM

Your soul for some pudding pops?
Done.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2007, 05:41 PM

You got fleeced my friend. I would have easily parted with Bill Cosby and some pudding pops.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 8, 2007, 05:45 PM

I'm making sure you knew I wasn't interested in your content or going to respond. If you'd like to continue to pointlessly respond to the rest of my inquiries, go right ahead. Since this MacNN you may get a response from someone whom it wasn't addressed to.
This is too true!

Maybe, maybe not. Christianity is notoriously diverse (its strength and weakness). It's pretty difficult to find two people who agree on everything.
We do agree* more than anyone else on here so far. Well, as far as the vocal one on here are. There are probably some who are wise (joke) enough not to get into these discussion. And they may agree with what I/wee believe, but may have entirely different ways of responding. As you well noted.

*Except for his love of Neons. I can't STAND them.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 8, 2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
We do agree* more than anyone else on here so far. Well, as far as the vocal one on here are. There are probably some who are wise (joke) enough not to get into these discussion.
I think Jawbone and I agree on the second part there...

Railroader
Banned
Nov 8, 2007, 06:03 PM

Don't think I haven't noticed that. I'd love to know how you and him feel about some of this.

Jawbone, being Pentecostal, is probably someone who I agree on Biblical topics quite a bit. I'd LOVE going to a Church service with him.

You have held your Christian "affiliation" cards quite tightly to the chest. What denomination do you most affiliate with? Feel free to PM that to me if you don't want to reveal it publicly.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2007, 06:30 PM

You have held your Christian "affiliation" cards quite tightly to the chest. What denomination do you most affiliate with? Feel free to PM that to me if you don't want to reveal it publicly.
I'm all over the place.

Until I was 10, I went to a Covenant church, I was confirmed in a Methodist church, went to a non-denominational split from an E. Free church throughout high school, I've attended and worked with a non-denominational (but with close Baptist affiliations) church throughout college, but just this year I started going to a Vineyard church with the other leaders of the high school ministry I helped start.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2007, 06:38 PM

I'm all over the place.

Until I was 10, I went to a Covenant church, I was confirmed in a Methodist church, went to a non-denominational split from an E. Free church throughout high school, I've attended and worked with a non-denominational (but with close Baptist affiliations) church throughout college, but just this year I started going to a Vineyard church with the other leaders of the high school ministry I helped start.
Only in America!

You guys like your churches like you like your coffee - about 80 million variations!
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2007, 06:39 PM

You got fleeced my friend. I would have easily parted with Bill Cosby and some pudding pops.
As a gag I used to keep "soul contracts" in the pocket of my briefcase, even got some nice black envelopes to keep them in. Had a lawyer friend write it up to make them look really official.

Anyway, most of the time people would just look at the "contract" and laugh. A few times I "bought" souls for $5 or $10, they'd sign the document with a red Montblanc pen that I kept in my case, and we'd all get a get laugh out of it.

However, one time at a coffee shop some girl I barely knew told me she'd give anything for a cigarette, so I whipped out a contract and took a whole pack of Camel Lights out of my jacket pocket and placed them next to it. She giggled over it, but then took the pen and signed her name. We joked over the whole thing, and she picked up the pack of smokes and went off to wherever she was going. Many months later I ran into her again and she was kinda freaked out over the whole thing and asked me to give her the signed contract. I just smiled and winked at her and told her "a deal's a deal", but then she went nuts and started crying. As you could imagine, I felt bad at that point, but I didn't have my case with me. So, we agreed to meet the next day and I'd bring it to her, but unfortunately she died in a car accident that night.

Well, no she didn't die, that last part was a joke. But she did meet me, and even brought me a pack of Camel Lights to pay for the "contract". She even burned the thing in the parking lot while we were standing there, and then stalked away, giving me dirty looks over her shoulder. It was priceless.
( Last edited by Shaddim; Nov 8, 2007 at 06:55 PM. )
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2007, 06:57 PM

You have intentionally misconstrued what I said.
If I have misconstrued what you said, I assure you it wasn't intentional.

We are all evil. Christians have simply chosen to acknowledge God, worship Him, and try to live the life worthy of the gift we are given. That is why we do good things. Not for "Heaven points" as someone said earlier. Atheists's good deeds are all from a selfish stand point. They are done to make themselves feel good.
I was the one who mentioned "Heaven Points." I meant it as mirror of your "atheists' good deeds are selfish" claim. Both are ways of cynically framing other people's good deeds so that they look selfish. I don't believe you have any more reason to believe your cynical assessment than I do to believe mine, though admittedly mine was just a parody.

What's a shame is you not realizing that it is exactly what I thought.
I don't mean what you thought of the first sentence of my post, which is all Kevin replied to. That first sentence was just me objecting to something you said. It wasn't my actual point at all.

Galatians 5:14 NASB - For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."
But here's the problem: It's possible for an atheist to do this just as much as it is for a Christian. Was there an addendum to this verse where he said, "LOL J/K, IT'S ACTUALLY ABOUT GOING TO THE RIGHT CHURCH"?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2007, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
But here's the problem: It's possible for an atheist to do this just as much as it is for a Christian.
Which is why the idea of heaven being exclusive doesn't sit well with me.

Good deeds through an entire life should deserve reward no matter what the religious affiliation.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2007, 07:02 PM

I see a habit of this by the same few people in here. I just say drop it. They are obviously just trolling, aren't into actually having a civil conversation, and your words are going to wasted ears.
WTF? When I say that he's claiming all atheists' good deeds are selfishly motivated, you tell me that of course he wasn't claiming such a thing and I just misunderstood. Now he comes right out and says it: "Atheists's good deeds are all from a selfish stand point." And somehow I'm trolling? I know you and Railroader are buddies and all, so you don't want to attack him, but you could at least not make up **** about me.
Chuck
___

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2007, 07:17 PM

I've worked with a few people who were complete and utter knobs before becoming "born again".

Then they became holier-than-thou complete and utter knobs.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2007, 07:19 PM

I don't think Jesus can cure being an asshat.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 8, 2007, 11:59 PM

If I have misconstrued what you said, I assure you it wasn't intentional.

I was the one who mentioned "Heaven Points." I meant it as mirror of your "atheists' good deeds are selfish" claim. Both are ways of cynically framing other people's good deeds so that they look selfish. I don't believe you have any more reason to believe your cynical assessment than I do to believe mine, though admittedly mine was just a parody.

I don't mean what you thought of the first sentence of my post, which is all Kevin replied to. That first sentence was just me objecting to something you said. It wasn't my actual point at all.

But here's the problem: It's possible for an atheist to do this just as much as it is for a Christian. Was there an addendum to this verse where he said, "LOL J/K, IT'S ACTUALLY ABOUT GOING TO THE RIGHT CHURCH"?
Have you kept the Law? Have you treated everyone as you would want to be treated? If you have not, then you have fallen short of keeping the Law. I can't see an atheist (let alone any human) being able to keep the Law and never breaking it.

And who said anything about the right Church??!?! You really need to drop this misconception.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 9, 2007, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Only in America!

You guys like your churches like you like your coffee - about 80 million variations!
That's just Baptists and Methodists!

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2007, 12:04 AM

Back to what the OP asked...

I'd have to say I don't believe in karma. The most horrible people I know IRL have had EVERYTHING work out for them perfectly.

This guy I know is possibly the biggest asshole on the planet after the typical list of totalitarian and facist dictators, and at 53 he now has a trophy wife, a huge house in an affluent neighborhood, a $45,000 Lexus, and he makes around $250k a year. You tell me how karma fits into that.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 01:02 AM

$250K a year and the best he can think to do is a Lexus?

That's what's wrong with him: Karma stole his taste.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
This guy I know is possibly the biggest asshole on the planet after the typical list of totalitarian and facist dictators, and at 53 he now has a trophy wife, a huge house in an affluent neighborhood, a $45,000 Lexus, and he makes around $250k a year. You tell me how karma fits into that.
So because things don't work out exactly how you would like, you suppose causality doesn't exist?
Chuck
___

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 01:23 AM

So because things don't work out exactly how you would like, you suppose causality doesn't exist?
And therein lies the problem with "karma." Who decides who deserves what?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 01:50 AM

No more than the problem with gravity is "Who decides what deserves to fall fast or slow?"

The real problem is that people think karma means "I'm right and you're wrong and you should be punished for it." Like I said earlier, karma is not some flyswatter God smacks you with when you do bad things. Karma is causality. If you screw someone over in order to get rich, you have done an action with the consequence of getting rich — that is in your karma. It's not surprising if you get rich. People get this stuff all confused just because you use the Eastern term rather than the Western.
Chuck
___

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 02:03 AM

I think your definition doesn't fit what the OP had in mind when he posted.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 9, 2007, 03:18 AM

There are probably some who are wise (joke) enough not to get into these discussion.
There are. And I think I just joined their ranks. I'll leave any talking to be done in private. Those usually participating in these threads aren't doing it to learn something new, or be enlightened.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 9, 2007, 03:20 AM

And therein lies the problem with "karma." Who decides who deserves what?
You do. You make the decision as to what happens to you by your actions. No one does anything to you.

Graviton
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2007, 05:37 AM

Behaving morally because a celestial creator says so, or you fear karmic reprisals, or you have a social contract, or you read a book on secular ethics, are all crappy reasons for being moral. None of them are logically sound excuses for why you should be moral, but then morality is not a thing of logic.

Moral choices are ultimately about self definition. You are the way you are because you choose to be that way, because that is the person you wish to be in the world. Your excuses (religious or secular) do not make you moral, your actions do.

As the great philosopher Popeye said "I yam what I yam"

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2007, 06:09 AM

No more than the problem with gravity is "Who decides what deserves to fall fast or slow?"
Galileo would be slapping himself in the face at that comment. Everything falls at the same rate!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Graviton
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2007, 06:18 AM

Everybody knows gravity is controlled by invisible purple pixies, all called Bernard (Bernard 1, Bernard 2, Bernard3, aaaand so on)..

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2007, 12:01 PM

We do agree* more than anyone else on here so far. Well, as far as the vocal one on here are. There are probably some who are wise (joke) enough not to get into these discussion. And they may agree with what I/wee believe, but may have entirely different ways of responding. As you well noted.
It's a fact. It's also been noticed that you seem to get when I'm joking, even if you may not find it funny.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised you dabbled in the thread. Luckily very rarely do we agree so strongly that I have to take it to you.
yeah that's right

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Only in America!

That may the best I've ever seen it put.

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
As a gag I used to keep "soul contracts" in the pocket of my briefcase, even got some nice black envelopes to keep them in. Had a lawyer friend write it up to make them look really official.

Anyway, most of the time people would just look at the "contract" and laugh. A few times I "bought" souls for $5 or $10, they'd sign the document with a red Montblanc pen that I kept in my case, and we'd all get a get laugh out of it.

However, one time at a coffee shop some girl I barely knew told me she'd give anything for a cigarette, so I whipped out a contract and took a whole pack of Camel Lights out of my jacket pocket and placed them next to it. She giggled over it, but then took the pen and signed her name. We joked over the whole thing, and she picked up the pack of smokes and went off to wherever she was going. Many months later I ran into her again and she was kinda freaked out over the whole thing and asked me to give her the signed contract. I just smiled and winked at her and told her "a deal's a deal", but then she went nuts and started crying. As you could imagine, I felt bad at that point, but I didn't have my case with me. So, we agreed to meet the next day and I'd bring it to her, but unfortunately she died in a car accident that night.

Well, no she didn't die, that last part was a joke. But she did meet me, and even brought me a pack of Camel Lights to pay for the "contract". She even burned the thing in the parking lot while we were standing there, and then stalked away, giving me dirty looks over her shoulder. It was priceless.
I would have tried to get sex out of it, or at the very least a bj. no not really

I think I now imagine you as the devil from Reaper.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 12:11 PM

Yeah, I'm a little surprised you dabbled in the thread. Luckily very rarely do we agree so strongly that I have to take it to you.
yeah that's right
Experience has taught me that an internet message board doesn't always foster the most productive conversation. But people seemed to be asking honest questions, so I went for it.

Originally Posted by Railroader
To complicate things further, I spent the summer working at a Lutheran Bible camp and I'm dating the daughter of a Lutheran pastor. So I'm all over the place.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2007, 12:12 PM

I think you're just trying to cover all bases, religious and sexual.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 12:22 PM

Well I figure if I dabble in every denomination at least once, I have to be right at some point.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 04:53 PM

I would have tried to get sex out of it, or at the very least a bj. no not really

I think I now imagine you as the devil from Reaper.
Nah, no sex. For one, she's not a small woman, by any stretch of the imagination. Two, it was just a gag, though it did run out for quite some time. Those usually are the best though, I've got some jokes in the works that have been going for several years. The all time best was a practical joke that took 12 years to materialize, and when it did the person called me from Norway, twice, just to yell at me.

It's safe to say that most of my friends and family think I have a very morbid sense of humor. I've worked on it all my life.
- Thomas Paine

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2007, 04:56 PM

You sound like a freakin' master. My picture selection stands.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Graviton View Post
Everybody knows gravity is controlled by invisible purple pixies, all called Bernard (Bernard 1, Bernard 2, Bernard3, aaaand so on)..
I don't suppose that's very different than the Graviton particle theory.
- Thomas Paine

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Galileo would be slapping himself in the face at that comment. Everything falls at the same rate!
No, everything accelerates at the same rate under the same gravitational influence, and that's only guaranteed in a vacuum.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Nov 9, 2007 at 06:35 PM. )
Chuck
___

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 9, 2007, 06:42 PM

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 06:45 PM

Says the guy with the Mac GUI modification sig? At least I have the good sense to have a stupid signature.
Chuck
___

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 9, 2007, 06:48 PM

It wasn't a personal jab Chuckit. It was just an attempt at humor.

I apologize if you took offense to it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 08:38 PM

Nah, I wasn't offended. Mine was an attempt at humor, too, though obviously less successful. I figured bragging that my signature was stupid would be a tip-off.
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules