Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > PosterShop (or something like it) For OS X?

PosterShop (or something like it) For OS X?
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2007, 06:26 PM

I have a client that I recently upgraded from a pair of old G4's, to a pair of shinny new aluminum iMacs. CS3 and Quark 7, they run really really nice. They way they used to print was to save their Quark docs (in eps i think?), then copy the files to an old junky (and i mean JUNKY) pee cee. Then running poster shop on the pee cee, they'd either blow up the doc to print it as a poster, or tile it automatically to print x number of copies of the document. The printer is an HP DesignJet 3000CP. So while upgrade the computers, I also bought a network card for the printer and MicroSpot X-Rip. It works, I can print large things from the mac, to the printer over the network. But XRip is just a very basic printer drive, it doesn't let me do any of the easy, automatic features that PosterShop does. Are there any programs similar to PosterShop, for OS X? Maybe even something that just does the arranging, since we already have the RIP.
I've been searching for a while and haven't been able to find anything, but there MUST be something out there?

almaink
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2007, 02:23 PM

Everything you need to do you can do from InDesigns print dialog box. No need for any other software.
You could also do it from Quark but it's not as configureable.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2007, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by almaink View Post
Everything you need to do you can do from InDesigns print dialog box. No need for any other software.
You could also do it from Quark but it's not as configureable.
Please tell me how. I have InDesign CS3 here right now.

almaink
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2007, 10:44 AM

Just select the parameters you need when you print. To scale and position use the print set up tab, there is also a tile option check the box and get a preview of the tile while you adjust it as needed. For quantity use the General tab.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2007, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by almaink View Post
Just select the parameters you need when you print. To scale and position use the print set up tab, there is also a tile option check the box and get a preview of the tile while you adjust it as needed. For quantity use the General tab.
I see the scale option and thats pretty self explanatory, but I don't get how your supposed to use the tile function.

almaink
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2007, 09:34 AM

Check the help feature in the main menu. It will walk you through how it works. In fact InDesign help can pretty much show you how anything is done in InDesign, Quarks help isn't to bad either.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2007, 09:43 AM

I'm not trying to print a big image on a bunch of small piece of paper. I'm trying to print a small image 20-up on a very large 64" printer. InDesign can't do this. Well it can't do it automatically from a single small image. Ill have to make a huge document, and stick a bunch of copies of the small one in it

almaink
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2007, 02:15 PM

Sure it can. Thats a piece of cake, just set up the document to you sheet size and use step and repeat to get the picture n up.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2007, 02:32 PM

I know you can manually do it but the customer has been using postershop for years now, which does this all automatically...

andi*pandi
Nov 13, 2007, 11:17 AM

sounds like you're looking for RIPing/imposition software?

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2007, 11:23 AM

Well I have a rip but its a very basic rip, it doesn't do much. This postershop program is specifically for making posters on large format printers. Has lots of features that they have been using for 10 years, and have grown very dependent on. The closer I can match these features, the more likely i'll be able to get them to ditch the old printing pc and just use their new imacs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules