Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone POP Account Can't Create

iPhone POP Account Can't Create
Sirfishalot
Nov 8, 2007, 11:53 AM

I previously had my POP mail account set up on my iPhone 1.0.2 and it was working fine except I couldn't send mail out. After struggling with the Outgoing Mail settings for a few weeks unsucsessfully, I tried to delete the account and input it again without syncing through the computer using WiFi.
For some reason I can't set up the account again. I keep getting this message: Cannot Connect Using SSL, Do you want to try setting uop the account without SSL?
When I select Yes it fails to verify the POP info and returns me to the error message.
Anyone have any idea what the problem might be here?

Thanks,
JayT

Krusty
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2007, 04:02 AM

A problem I've experienced occasionally with POP on the iPhone is that only one client at a time can access the POP account and will "lock" that account off to other clients for a minute or two when its doing so.

For example, if I'm sitting in front of my machine at work and my iPhone is send/receiving, my mail client at work (Outlook) will fail if I hit send/receive and return the very descriptive error that it cannot access pop.xxxxx.com because the server is unavailable and may be being accessed from another POP client. If my work email is send/receiving and my iPhone tries to access the email, I get a much less descriptive message on the iPhone that accessing pop.xxxxx.com failed but it doesn't really describe why.

Bottom line: make sure all other email clients that might access that email account are turned off for at least several minutes before trying to access/setup the iPhone on that account (i.e. just close down the mail reader on your computer). Even having setup my iPhone successfully for all my accounts, I still get the error occasionally when my iPhone and my work machine are just coincidentally trying to retrieve mail simultaneously.

Best of Luck!

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2007, 12:17 PM

I had a similar problem with the SSL message. You can, though, manually turn SSL off by going into the advanced account settings. There's a very good chance that your problem with outgoing mail settings is related to SSL needing to be turned off as well as I had the same problem initially. As soon as I turned SSL off in the advanced settings (for both incoming and outgoing mail) everything worked fine.

It's possible you're also running into the issue whereby a lot of ISPs block port 25 for unauthorized outgoing mail servers (unauthorized usually meaning any mail server other then the ISP specific one). If that's your issue, the solution is generally to use a different outgoing mail server that supports a port other then 25, commonly port 587. I have my own domain email that allows me to do this, if you have a Gmail account you could use it's outgoing mail server instead.

Here are the Gmail specific settings for Mail: Apple Mail

On the iPhone, to select a specific port, enter the outgoing mail server as smtp.gmail.com:587. Note that Gmail actually wants SSL turned on.

Hope that helps.

Sirfishalot  (op)
Nov 9, 2007, 09:51 PM

[QUOTE=gradient;3529335]I had a similar problem with the SSL message. You can, though, manually turn SSL off by going into the advanced account settings. There's a very good chance that your problem with outgoing mail settings is related to SSL needing to be turned off as well as I had the same problem initially. As soon as I turned SSL off in the advanced settings (for both incoming and outgoing mail) everything worked fine.

Gradient,
Thanks, but If I cannot even create the account again because of this POP verification failure there doesn't seem to be any way of accesing the advanced account settings.
Strange though, I can create a Yahoo account.
Prior to deleting my POP account it was wierd, it worked ok for about a month then all of a sudden it wouldn't receive any more emails. So I deleted it thinking that I could re-establish it.

JayT

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2007, 04:39 AM

How many times have you tried saying "yes" at the pop-up prompt to setup the account without SSL? When I had a similar problem, it took me saying "yes" two or three times but it eventually did succeed. The outgoing mail server wasn't working though, because it was still set to use SSL despite the incoming server not using it. At that point, I was able to go into the advanced settings and turn SSL off for the outgoing server.

Sirfishalot  (op)
Nov 10, 2007, 05:00 AM

Gradient,
Thanks a bunch. Got it working again after giving it a couple times "yes" at the promt. Life is good again.

JayT

Forum Links
Forum Rules