Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Don't run Diskwarrior...

Don't run Diskwarrior...
Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2007, 12:44 AM

...if you have upgraded to Leopard. In spite of what's posted on Alsoft's website:

The current DiskWarrior CD revision 41 can start up the new MacBook and MacBook Pro models introduced on 11/01/2007.

10/29/2007 (updates and replaces the entry originally dated 10/26/2007)
DiskWarrior 4.0 will successfully rebuild a disk that has Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard installed or a disk that has been attached to a computer running Leopard.

However, some operating system functionality has changed within Leopard itself. As such, there are some compatibility issues when running an installed copy of DiskWarrior 4.0 while started up from Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. Alsoft currently recommends that you do not run DiskWarrior 4.0 while the computer is started from Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Instead, to run DiskWarrior, you should start up the computer from either:

1) A DiskWarrior 4.0 CD.

2) Any disk that starts up in 10.4.x and then run DiskWarrior 4.0.

An updated version of DiskWarrior that has complete Leopard compatibility will be released soon as a free download for existing owners of DiskWarrior 4.0.
I've nuked my G5 iMac several times trying to see what was up. And yes, I started my computer using a DiskWarrior 4.0 CD. I just thought I'd try and save someone else the time and effort.

JellyBeen
Senior User
Nov 17, 2007, 11:12 AM

I've ran DW 4.0 from an external Tiger HD and repaired my Leopard HD without ANY problems many times already.
I guess YMMV.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2007, 11:41 AM

I've done it too, with no problems. However, since Leopard is a new OS that does do a few things differently, waiting until Alsoft releases a new version updated for Leopard probably isn't a bad idea in general.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

JellyBeen
Senior User
Nov 17, 2007, 11:51 AM

Agreed CharlesS, caution is always best.
But since Alsoft said it was ok and they have a reputation of knowing what they're talking about, I went ahead.
No harm done so far.

Dale Sorel  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2007, 01:54 PM

OK, I guess I should've been a little clearer in my post. Once you've used DiskWarrior on your HD, then plug your Leopard DVD in and try to do an Archive and Install. Then you'll get the dreaded message telling you that your install failed. I've done that several times, and it truly nukes your system. The way you can tell after you get the message is just fire up the Startup Disk utility and you'll see that you don't have anything left on your HD that can startup Mac OS X. No fun

If you want to try it yourself, you've been warned

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2007, 02:19 PM

I think that's a problem with the Leopard installer, not DiskWarrior. At any rate, the same thing happened to me when I archive and installed the Leopard GM over my Tiger installation, and I hadn't run DiskWarrior first. Archive and install, install failed, and afterward no partitions on that entire disk would mount under Leopard, either from the install disc or from the 9A559 partition on my external (but it still worked fine in Tiger). Running DiskWarrior on the disk from my Tiger partition on the external seemed to solve the problem, actually, as after DiskWarrioring it, it showed up in Leopard again and I was able to go through with the install without errors.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2007, 02:58 PM

Works fine for me. Although I usually boot in target disk mode then connect my MBP(Leopard) to my G5(Tiger), then I let diskwarrior do its thing and all is well. Doing it this way is much faster than a CD.

In the startup disk preference pane I still have the ability to choose whatever I want to start from either my Leopard partition or my Windows Partition.

Cheers
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

Dale Sorel  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2007, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
I think that's a problem with the Leopard installer, not DiskWarrior.
Wouldn't surprise me a bit, as it seems that Leopard is pretty flakey compared to past versions of OS X. Something tells me that Apple may be spreading themselves a bit thin lately.

JellyBeen
Senior User
Nov 17, 2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dale Sorel View Post
OK, I guess I should've been a little clearer in my post. Once you've used DiskWarrior on your HD, then plug your Leopard DVD in and try to do an Archive and Install. Then you'll get the dreaded message telling you that your install failed. I've done that several times, and it truly nukes your system. The way you can tell after you get the message is just fire up the Startup Disk utility and you'll see that you don't have anything left on your HD that can startup Mac OS X. No fun

Wow, that's not cool Dale.
Had no idea that's what you meant.

Dale Sorel  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2007, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by JellyBeen View Post
Wow, that's not cool Dale.
Had no idea that's what you meant.
Huh?

JellyBeen
Senior User
Nov 17, 2007, 05:19 PM

What do you mean Huh?
Read your last post, The Archive and Install bit...I believe it explains it all.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 17, 2007, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the tip... I was going to run it since Applejack no longer is supported for OS X.

*sigh* I guess this is what happens when Apple doesn't give out the GM until the release.

That was a bad move IMHO.

Dale Sorel  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2007, 12:52 AM

I said:

Then you said:

Originally Posted by JellyBeen View Post
What do you mean Huh?
Read your last post, The Archive and Install bit...I believe it explains it all.
Since others said they've used DiskWarrior with no problems, I was only explaining exactly what I did to nuke my system. I even cautioned anyone reading the post that it might not be a good idea to try it yourself.

Sorry if you thought I was trying to trick someone into nuking their computer, as I wasn't. I was only trying to save someone else all the time I've wasted nuking my computer then getting it running again.

Dale Sorel  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2007, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
*sigh* I guess this is what happens when Apple doesn't give out the GM until the release.

That was a bad move IMHO.
Agreed

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 18, 2007, 02:00 AM

Could the two of you (Kevin and Dale) offer a bit of proof that something drastic changed between the last developer build and the final?

I'm not in a position to know one way or the other, but the two of you seem to be making wide sweeping claims.... Based on what?

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 18, 2007, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Could the two of you (Kevin and Dale) offer a bit of proof that something drastic changed between the last developer build and the final?
I know people that apps didn't work in the final, that worked in the last beta they got. I think that's proof enough. (Snak application for IRC)

Apple used to give the GM out to devs two weeks before it was released. They didn't do it for "some reason" this time.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2007, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the tip... I was going to run it since Applejack no longer is supported for OS X.
You were going to run DiskWarrior because AppleJack is no longer supported? That doesn't make sense at all.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 18, 2007, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
You were going to run DiskWarrior because AppleJack is no longer supported? That doesn't make sense at all.
Sure it does. Both are hardrive fixing applications. Since Applejack is not supported in 10.5, I was going to run Diskwarrior on it instead.

But I just opted for the 10.5 install disk to be safe.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2007, 12:49 PM

Sure it does. Both are hardrive fixing applications. Since Applejack is not supported in 10.5, I was going to run Diskwarrior on it instead.
The only thing Applejack does to fix your hard drive is to run fsck. As long as you're booted in Single-User mode, you can just run fsck yourself by typing:

fsck -fy

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2007, 01:41 PM

The only thing Applejack does to fix your hard drive is to run fsck. As long as you're booted in Single-User mode, you can just run fsck yourself by typing:

fsck -fy
doesn't applejack also repair permissions, run maintenance scripts, empty caches??
(still, it's not diskwarrior)...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2007, 02:27 PM

None of which fixes your disk.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2007, 07:58 PM

I gather DiskWarrior will need some "tweaking" before it can handle
the multi-linked directories on Time Machine backup disks...
-HI-

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 18, 2007, 08:13 PM

The only thing Applejack does to fix your hard drive is to run fsck.
But that isn't the only thing it does. I just like it's easy cmd-S get to when you restarted as well. Not to mention free.
As long as you're booted in Single-User mode, you can just run fsck yourself by typing:
I was told this wasn't possible in 10.5? Not sure, haven't had the time to investigate.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2007, 09:45 PM

I was told this wasn't possible in 10.5? Not sure, haven't had the time to investigate.
It works fine. The "welcome" screen you get when you boot into single-user mode will even give you the command line to run.

If you like to use Applejack, that's fine, but as long as it's not working, you can still repair your disk from single-user mode just by typing /sbin/fsck -fy.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 19, 2007, 06:04 AM

It works fine. The "welcome" screen you get when you boot into single-user mode will even give you the command line to run.

If you like to use Applejack, that's fine, but as long as it's not working, you can still repair your disk from single-user mode just by typing /sbin/fsck -fy.
Well I thank you for the tip. Anyway to repair permissions this way as well?

Like typing in sudo diskutil repairPermissions / ?

Dale Sorel  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2007, 11:05 PM

OK, here's something I found:

Warning: Do not run DiskWarrior or similar utilities on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

DiskWarrior and other tools that modify or rebuild the directory of volumes should not be run after installing Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) until further notice or updates from the developers of these tools.

As part of our special report on preparing for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) published yesterday we noted that previous major Mac OS X releases have made significant disk directory changes that can react adversely to the processes used by these applications.

Alsoft, the developer of DiskWarrior, has now released a statement on compatibility that is somewhat confusing. It reads:

"[...] until we have a copy of the final build of Leopard, we cannot completely comment on Leopard compatibility.

"We will absolutely support Mac OS X 10.5. While we have the early builds of Mac OS X 10.5 to test with, Apple does not tell us ahead of time what changes or enhancements they plan to make until they provide us with the software and documentation. Apple engineering may make changes right up to the last few days before the release and we wouldn't know about them until after the fact.

"As for your current version of DiskWarrior, you can run the application knowing no harm will come to the hard drive or to your data. If a newer version of DiskWarrior is required, DiskWarrior will simply not allow the replacement of the old directory.

"When DiskWarrior 3 was released 3 1/2 years ago, Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar), was the current version of the operating system. When Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) was released we updated DiskWarrior for compatibility at no charge. The same is true for when Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) was released - no charge. Each of these updates was available through the process of downloading an updater which helps you burn an updated DiskWarrior CD. More information will be posted on the Alsoft website, once Leopard is released.

Essentially it looks like Alsoft is claiming:

They can't guarantee compatibility of the current DiskWarrior iteration with Leopard
The current version of DiskWarrior won't cause damage to Leopard disks because it will simply refuse to perform the process for which it is designed.
The update for DiskWarrior that makes it compatible with Leopard will be free of charge.
Despite point #2, we highly recommend not running DiskWarrior at all after installing Mac OS X 10.5 until further information is available. All current indications are that the program will run, and rebuild directories on bootable Leopard volumes and could result in serious consequences, including an inability to startup from the drive.
The underlined part is exactly what happened to me.

So if you've upgraded to Leopard, you should definitely wait for the new version of DiskWarrior.

Here's the original article: Warning: Do not run DiskWarrior or similar utilities on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) - MacFixIt

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 20, 2007, 07:34 AM

Good thing they warned us before 10.5 came out.

Oh wait..

Forum Links
Forum Rules