Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone officially sold unlocked by T-Mobile Germany as of TODAY

iPhone officially sold unlocked by T-Mobile Germany as of TODAY
analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2007, 09:54 AM

...for €999 (incl. 19% sales tax) - that's about US$1500 including tax for those of you suffering from exchange rate absurdity.

(Background: Vodafone Germany requested and got a court order requiring the sale of iPhones independently of communications contracts, since the exclusive-contract binding the iPhone to T-Mobile results in an unfair competitive advantage.)

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Nov 21, 2007, 10:11 AM

Here's an article about the officially unlocked iPhone.

What this shows is that there must be an official, "Apple approved" means of unlocking the iPhone. If there wasn't, T-Mobile couldn't do this.

The question that now comes to mind is this: how many people are going to be contacting AT&T about officially unlocking their iPhones after their initial contract expires? AT&T can't say there's no technical reason preventing unlocking (which I think we already knew).

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2007, 10:13 AM

You stay classy, Apple. I wonder how much useful information hackers will find the unlocked phone's guts.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2007, 12:27 PM

I think apple would rather not sell them in Germany than put unlocked ones out there.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2007, 12:28 PM

So it will be available in France and Prussia unlocked? I wonder if Apple will bother with selling exclusive locked phones in the EU from now on... oh yeah.. the UK is still shafted

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

islandmannpnw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2007, 03:08 PM

No such thing. We were just there last night. The staff there stated their new phone called Voyager should be in stores today. It is a look-a-like, but not an iPhone.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2007, 03:17 PM

I think that post deserves an award.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2007, 03:23 PM

I'm confused.

analogika  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2007, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I think apple would rather not sell them in Germany than put unlocked ones out there.

Did you miss the part about that they're actually being sold?

Also, one thing to keep in mind here is that Apple actually has very little involvement in any of this:

Vodafone went to court against T-Mobile. It's T-Mobile that has the unfair advantage, and I'm sure that whatever profit they've agreed to hand to Apple is per-phone and very very firmly whittled down in the contract between the two.

If T-Mobile is now forced to forgo their own profits because *they* were calculating on doing something illegal, that's not Apple's problem.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2007, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post

Did you miss the part about that they're actually being sold?

Also, one thing to keep in mind here is that Apple actually has very little involvement in any of this:

Vodafone went to court against T-Mobile. It's T-Mobile that has the unfair advantage, and I'm sure that whatever profit they've agreed to hand to Apple is per-phone and very very firmly whittled down in the contract between the two.

If T-Mobile is now forced to forgo their own profits because *they* were calculating on doing something illegal, that's not Apple's problem.
Well it is Apples problem as they have an exclusive contract and they are the ones that need to make sure the phone is unlocked out of the box somehow.

analogika  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2007, 02:35 PM

According to what I've read, T-Mobile requests the unlock code using the phone's IMEI, and the phone is then unlocked via iTunes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules