Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dinner or a death sentence

Dinner or a death sentence
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2007, 10:36 PM

The 20 Worst Foods In America - Men's Health

Those numbers are just insane. I have to say, though, I really like Outback's cheese fries, especially with some ranch dressing to dip in. These things make the Big Mac look like health food. If anyone is wondering why this country is so fat, this surely isn't helping.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2007, 11:14 PM

The best part is we went grocery shopping earlier tonight and got two of the Pepperidge Farms chicken pot pies. Ordinarily I check the nutritional information of just about everything we get, but for some reason I didn't this time. Now Jessi refuses to eat them, so I'm going to have to absorb all those calories all by my lonesome. Maybe I can stretch each one out into an entire week's worth of food.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2007, 11:53 PM

I check absolutely everything for ingredients. What gets me most is that there's modified corn starch in almost all prepared foods, even if there's absolutely no reason for it. It drives me nuts.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2007, 12:02 AM

"Bob Evans Caramel Banana Pecan Cream Stacked and Stuffed Hotcakes"? Who eats that?

I have to say though that the article doesn't seem to take into account the hidden, psychic cost of the shame involved in ordering a "low carb" burger from Carl's Jr.

Does Chili's still have chicken-fried steak? That was glorious. I could feel the gravy congealing on the way down my esophagus.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2007, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
I check absolutely everything for ingredients. What gets me most is that there's modified corn starch in almost all prepared foods, even if there's absolutely no reason for it. It drives me nuts.
The really scary thing is that half the things that you would never expect are actually corn derivatives. Citric acid? It's a corn derivative. Natural flavors? Not really, they're just flavors that happen to be derived from a natural substance: corn. If you don't know what it is, chances are it was created from processed corn.

Cipher13
Nov 28, 2007, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
If anyone is wondering why this country is so fat, this surely isn't helping.
The sheer size of your meals doesn't help, either. How large are the drinks and fries in your large meals? Isn't it something ludicrous like a liter?

So insane.

zro
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2007, 01:50 AM

I know what I'm getting next time I go to Quizno's!

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2007, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
The sheer size of your meals doesn't help, either. How large are the drinks and fries in your large meals? Isn't it something ludicrous like a liter?

So insane.
I rarely eat fast food, but I have noticed that many of the chains now let you get fruit or a salad with your meal instead of fries. The trick is that the healthiest item isn't always what you'd think it would be - several places have grilled chicken sandwiches that are terrible for you.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2007, 07:56 AM

See, I'm the opposite. I'm slim and have a fast metabolism. I need all the calories I can get. Matter of fact it's 7:15AM and I'm cooking a corned beef brisket(not because I am that hungry but because I'm weird like that).
( Last edited by MallyMal; Nov 28, 2007 at 08:17 AM. )

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2007, 08:24 AM

My wife thinks I'm so anal (an anorexic) because I count the calories I take in and watch what I eat. I'll snack from time to time but I avoid fast food joints like the plague. Seeing the list and the calories from those places, my fears are well justified. What surprises me is some of the more main stream restaurants and some of the unhealthy fair. Aussie Cheese Fries with Ranch Dressing - 2,900 calories 182 g fat .

Wow that's practically what I consume in a single day never mind a whole meal.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2007, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
I've checked for years because of my vegetarian problem (haha), but it's insane that SO many foods have high fructose corn syrup. Whatever happened to ****ing sugar?

My ingredient checking has kind of changed too. My first look is "how many ingredients are in this thing?". If I turn it over and see a sprawling paragraph that looks like ****ing Kierkegaard was hired in to write it, it goes back on the shelf. How many ingredients should be in a pack of tortillas?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by MallyMal View Post
See, I'm the opposite. I'm slim and have a fast metabolism. I need all the calories I can get.
Ditto. I lost ten pounds in college due to eating so much vending machine food and takeout - consuming empty carbs and calories ended up causing me to lose weight, because I burned it off so fast, as opposed to eating food with more protein and complex carbs and whatnot.

I lead a hard life.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Ditto. I lost ten pounds in college due to eating so much vending machine food and takeout - consuming empty carbs and calories ended up causing me to lose weight, because I burned it off so fast, as opposed to eating food with more protein and complex carbs and whatnot.
The problem there however is your metabolism slows down as you get older. Back in the day when I was in my twenties, I could eat a whole large pizza myself and not gain an ounce. Mostly because of my metabolism and being so active. Then I got a job in a cube and sat around for 8 hours, and my metabolism slowed down. I noticed I started packing on the pounds.

Now I'm absolutely fanatical of what I eat (or rather don't eat). Little to no fried foods, no soda. little to no red meat. I now have more energy and less weight. I also count the calories so that I don't over consume on a daily basis.

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2007, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post

I lead a hard life.
Don't get used to it - this does not last. I had problems in high school with gaining weight - I was undersized for sports and tried to eat to gain weight, but couldn't gain a pound. Now, my metabolism has slowed and I have more weight than I want to have. I'm not overweight, but I do have body fat, which is strange to me.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2007, 10:55 AM

Well, I'm 32 and my metabolism still hasn't slowed down. Maybe, when I'm 40..

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2007, 11:24 AM

I was the same all through my twenties. I could eat what I wanted, drink what I wanted and still was as skinny as a rake. I am still slim, but I now watch what I eat.

Scaught is right, if there's too many ingredients on the list, I won't buy it. We try and eat locally grown, organic food as much as possible anyway, so hardly any need for anything processed.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2007, 11:49 AM

I was 24 and boom, it was almost like overnight I noticed. Part of the problem for me then was that I also a cube drone so my activity level bottomed out. I've known people who are skinny as a rail and the same age as me but can eat anything and everything. Basically everyone's body acts/reacts differently. I think though the less active, physically speaking, you are the slower your metabolism.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2007, 11:53 AM

I have strange eating habits. I usually eat one meal a day then snacks the rest of the day. I can't remember the last time I've eaten 3 meals in a day. Even when I was growing up I didn't eat 3 meals a day. Somedays I don't eat at all. Basically, I just eat when I'm hungry.

I seem to be healthier than most of the people that are around me as far as sickness goes. I catch a cold maybe once every 5 years and it only lasts about 3 days. I haven't taken any form of medication, not even Tylenol, since I was 18(that's 14 years ago) so can't say I'm doing anything wrong.
( Last edited by MallyMal; Nov 28, 2007 at 12:04 PM. )

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2007, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
The problem there however is your metabolism slows down as you get older.
Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Don't get used to it - this does not last.
Not necessarily. It's a hereditary thing - my grandmother and her sisters (who are all in their 60s and 70s) have never had weight problems; my mom is 53 and still has problems keeping on weight. My brother is 26 and only has gained weight through muscle mass gained from lifting.

Turns out "the skinny gene" actually exists, too.

Many people do see a significant change in their metabolism as they get older (for the worse), but that isn't always the case.

Originally Posted by MallyMal View Post
Well, I'm 32 and my metabolism still hasn't slowed down. Maybe, when I'm 40..
...like with MallyMal and (almost) my entire family, apparently.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2007, 12:49 PM

haha:
Worst Drink
19 Jamba Juice Chocolate Moo'd Power Smoothie (30 fl oz)
900 calories 10 g fat
183 g carbs (166 g sugar)

It's like the only drink I get at jj Sooooooo good

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2007, 12:50 PM

I eat certain foods because they taste good. I enjoy eating. I'm overweight, but not obese. I read a story about how overweight (not obese) people are healthier than skinny people which was somewhat comforting, but I doubt women see men the same way.

Anyway, I'm certainly not a person who thinks eating's a chore. I just don't over-indulge, go in for a physical twice a year, and that's that.

Apparently I'm pretty healthy. Low blood pressure, normal blood sugar, no heart or kidney problems, etc., so I'll continue enjoying my cheeseburger. Mmmmmm, extra cheese.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2007, 12:55 PM

Since we're screwing up peoples plans on eating, I thought I'd like to point out that a recent study shows that several species of plants have primitive pain receptors. Just FYI for all you vegetarians and vegans while you're chowin' down on that salad.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2007, 12:56 PM

Are they plants that are used for food?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Since we're screwing up peoples plans on eating, I thought I'd like to point out that a recent study shows that several species of plants have primitive pain receptors. Just FYI for all you vegetarians and vegans while you're chowin' down on that salad.
You're going to have to do better than THAT to start the vegetarian flame war.

edit: I just googled it, you're the 10th result. Congratulations.

paul w
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2007, 02:11 PM

Hey, I'd be a vegetarian too if animals weren't made out of food...

The items on the list, though, are open to debate. Of course I'm one of those cook your own food, avoid fast food chains or just shut the f*ck up about it kinda folks...

Forum Links
Forum Rules