Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > should apple release a cut down powermac?

should apple release a cut down powermac?
omac
Banned
Apr 20, 2002, 11:36 AM

one with say 1-2 slots , half way between imac & powermac , but a horizontal design a la 7100/7300/7500 models?

many people want to use as little deskspace as possible whilst still having expansion possibilities..

?

WebOliver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2002, 11:46 AM

I don't think Apple should do that. Now we have, iMacs and PowerMacs; and iBooks and Powerbooks. The line is very clear. It would complicate the choice of customers. Remember, Performas, Quadra, 8500, 8600, 9500, and so on...

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2002, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by WebOliver:
<STRONG>I don't think Apple should do that. Now we have, iMacs and PowerMacs; and iBooks and Powerbooks. The line is very clear. It would complicate the choice of customers. Remember, Performas, Quadra, 8500, 8600, 9500, and so on... </STRONG>
I'm not so sure this would be a good idea either. Look at the iMac pricing vs PowerMac pricing...exactly where would a "cut down" version fit in? There's just not any place to put it.

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2002, 01:59 PM

Apple did. It's called The New iMac.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

omac  (op)
Banned
Apr 20, 2002, 03:06 PM

could they add a pci slot to the imac??

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2002, 03:56 PM

Where would it fit in?

Answer... my idea.

The iMac... Blue Edition.

Include more advanced things. Real video out. AV in and out ports. Include a more expanded version of iMovie, throw in Photoshop elements and some good audio software, once Elements is carbonized. Or even better do a software aliance with Adobe and make a Apple-Adobe product that takes advantage of Apple's interface success and the way photoshop works.
Do the same thing with some audio software.
include one PCI slot. stick in a superdrive.

What do you end up with. Well since the next product line is probably going to take the G4 about as high as it can go I think, or near.
iMacs 800-900Mhz
iMac blue 1Ghz
PowerMacs 1.1-1.3Ghz

What do you guys think?

maybe even do a blue edition iBook and iPod
Granted apple would never do it. A six computer product line is not the best idea. they couldn't even handle 5 without having to kill the cube.

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2002, 04:59 PM

Turn your Powermac on its side. Works the same way.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

M�lum
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2002, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by omac:
<STRONG>one with say 1-2 slots , half way between imac & powermac , but a horizontal design a la 7100/7300/7500 models?

many people want to use as little deskspace as possible whilst still having expansion possibilities..

?</STRONG>
Just use firewire.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2002, 05:32 PM

Why do you need a PCI card slot?

The only reasons I can think of don't really corespond with a computer of that purpose:

A second monitor: Ok, but still not needed.
SCSI: For a computer of this size/price ratio, not needed.
New components: Whatever
Expansion: I don't think you'll ever use the force.

They're too big anyway. Perhaps a compact PCI or some sort of Enhanced PCMCIA would be fine.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

raferx
Senior User
Apr 20, 2002, 09:34 PM

Keep the line simple... consumer/prosumer. If your serious about expandability/performance, than pony up the coin for a PM...
End of story.
Cheers,
raferx

jcadam
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2002, 11:06 PM

I like the desktop form factor better for asthetic and space issues. Towers are only better for expandability.

That said, the current power mac towers suck. Sure, they look smooth, but only ONE 5 1/4" drive bay???? (might be two. I think the second is a 3.5" for ZIP drives. Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if it is two, you could fit three in a desktop case).
It might as well be a desktop now, as unexpandable as it is.

I think they should sell a Desktop and a full tower model (with 5 or 6 drive bays). You could get away with using the same motherboard (like with the Beige G3s), so the only difference would be the case.

When ordering the Powermac, just specify desktop case or Full Tower case (for maybe $50-$100 extra).

Jeez, you could have a whole line of cases that fit the same PowerMac mobo, for some cool customizations (this would be especially easy for Apple if they made the motherboard standard ATX). Yea, Yea, maybe you could get custom paint jobs, side panel windows (in the shape of an apple, of course), 6 blowholes with 10,000RPM fans, and interior neon lighting so we can be just like the PC overclocker geeks!!!! (too far, or maybe I already crossed the line )

So, the product line would be the same. Instead of seperate PowerMac Desktop and PowerMac Tower models, you would just have the PowerMac, with different case options.

Maybe on a desktop they could design some kind of nifty mounting system for the Apple LCD displays?

Off topic, but I'd like to see a bare-bones Powermac being sold (just the case, motherboard, and processor; basically just the mac-specific hardware). Fat chance, I know.

[ 04-20-2002: Message edited by: jcadam ]
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2002, 01:30 AM

what could work possibly is the same pm case, 667, cd-rw, 128 mb, 40 gb, geforce2 mx for:

$1000

Tristrami
Senior User
Apr 21, 2002, 02:13 AM

ust stick your tower under your desk...sheesh.

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2002, 02:56 AM

Apple should create a new case that has more bays and PCI slots. In this new case could go the same components as today's G4. Apple should also keep the old case, and in that put component about the same as today's iMac. Then you have the low end iMac, midrange mini-G4, and high end Deluxe-G4. Of course through BTO options you could have the power of the deluxe in the case of the mini.
-- SBS --

Forum Links
Forum Rules