Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > How to activae XP features in Macbook

How to activae XP features in Macbook
MacPhly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2007, 01:07 AM

I got a brand new Nov.2007 Macbook a few days ago, and have smoothly installed Windows XP with bootcamp from Leopard, thanks to the many Mac fans' guidance in these Macnn forums.
However, in XP, I have been unable to get some features that the Macbook gives, or most laptops give, and I would appreciate your assistance:

1. How can I adjust the brightness of the LCD screen?

2. I can adjust the sound volume with the sound icon at the bottom of the screen, but is it possible to config it to use the Macbook buttons for volume adjustement as well?

3. How to eject from the DVD/CD drive other than using the ejection key in the application. Can the Macbook ejection button also be config for this?

4. How to active the tap function on track pad while in XP?

5. Where is the scroll function while in XP?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 30, 2007, 09:31 AM

The Boot Camp drivers should include one for the MacBook's keyboard so that you can use the normal keys for brightness. Likewise the volume buttons on your keyboard should work. Yes, the MacBook's eject button should work (these are all handled by the driver provided by Boot Camp), and you can also eject a disc by right-clicking on the drive in Explorer and selecting "Eject".

I'm sorry that I can't help you with the tap or scroll functions, but again, the driver for the trackpad is supposed to make it work with all the functions. You could go to the "Mouse" applet in Control Panel and see if there's a checkbox that needs to be checked for tap and scroll, but I haven't looked into that myself-with Windows I use an external, two-button mouse.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2007, 08:07 AM

1. Provided that you installed the bootcamp drivers you should be able to use the F1-F2 for brightness.
2. Again you should be able to use F3-F5 for sound control.
3. Holding down the eject key should eject a CD/DVD, not to sure about a drive though.
4. Not implemented yet.
5. Use 2 finger scrolling.

All of the above, like ghporter said can be had once the bootcamp drivers are installed except #4 we have to wait for Apple on that one.

Cheers
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

MacPhly  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2007, 11:43 AM

Thanks silver. I installed the drivers as you suggested. Seems like the scrolling is only for up/down and not horizontal. Sure hope the tap feature will be added by software update soon; don't want to wear out the click button.

Notice also that though I turned the sound volume way way down in both Mac and XP, when starting up, the tada music is quite loud, notwithstanding what I did to the volume. Quite distracting in a public library.

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2007, 07:51 PM

Not really answer but for me I mute the sound in both OS X and XP then turn sound on accordingly. I guess you can say it's more of a force of habit, back when I was in school. Try muting instead of just turning your sound down that might work, thats how I got my mac to keep quiet during the initial start up. I've seen some software that'll quiet down or even turn off the intro, search at MacUpdate: Apple Macintosh Software & Game Downloads. I cant vouch for any of them though as my method seems to work for me.

You're right scrolling is vertical only, but who knows we may get that function as well as tap in a future update.

Cheers
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

ankurcd
Dec 6, 2007, 02:32 AM

Hello Everyone,

With stores unwilling to accept credit cards (as the margins are really low) - I have scraped up just enough cash for the base model white Apple Macbook 13" 2.0 GHz. ok...here are the questions regarding the base model:

Note: the only change that I can afford now would be to up the RAM to 2 GB. Rest of it stays same. i.e. 80 GB HDD...:

a) Is it feasable to use Bootcamp and install XP on the 80 GB HDD / 2GB RAM? Which would be better
> VMware Fusion or
> Parallels Desktop for Mac? ....how are these different from Bootcamp And how much do these cost?

b)Now, the only reason I would want to do that is for playing games sometimes...with the new "Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM" - is it possible to play atleast some earlier version windows-only games??

Thanks in advance for taking the time...
( Last edited by ankurcd; Dec 6, 2007 at 04:52 AM. Reason: inadequate question...)
Regards, Ankur
-----------------------------------
switching from windows (via a Macbook) right after Steve's keynote on MWSF Jan 15 '08...!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules