Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo battery repair, and/or new batt experience

Pismo battery repair, and/or new batt experience
finboy
Nov 27, 2007, 03:47 PM

Hello everyone:

There is a place in Southern California (I think) that does refits on Pismo batts. Can anyone remember who/where that is?

Alternatively, can anyone offer any experience with the NuPower batts or others that are out there?

Thanks in advance.

VetPsychWars
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2007, 08:48 PM

I purposely bought an Energizer battery for my Pismo because I knew I could trust them to use quality components. Cost a bit more, but I was very happy with it. I think it runs about 5 hours, more or less.

The model number is ER-L710.

Tom

legionare
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2007, 02:52 PM

I got two Pismo batteries refilled for $85 each via mail order by a shop in California. I'd recommend saving the money for a new battery, and not bothering with the whole battery refill business. Supposedly this place refills your old battery (4500mAh) with new cells that'd make it 6600mAh. In practice, both of my batteries came back maxed out at ~5400mAh, despite my following their battery exercising instructions religiously. So I can only assume they lied about the 6600mAh cells. Secondly, I learned after the fact that the built-in circuits in the battery will shut down the recharging fucntion after it believes the battery has been recharged more than 300 times (or some other finite number). I believe that's what's at play with one of my two batteries, since it went completely unrechargable after a few months.

finboy  (op)
Dec 3, 2007, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by legionare View Post
Secondly, I learned after the fact that the built-in circuits in the battery will shut down the recharging fucntion after it believes the battery has been recharged more than 300 times (or some other finite number). I believe that's what's at play with one of my two batteries, since it went completely unrechargable after a few months.
Wow, I'd forgotten about that -- read that many moons ago about Pismo or one of the others maybe. That's a chief consideration. I also contacted a friend of mine (powerbookguy.com) and asked him -- he said no go on rebuilt batteries. He still swears by the Pismo.

So looks like I'll get a new one.

Thanks for the input folks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules