Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > "Sticky" folder windows in Spaces?

"Sticky" folder windows in Spaces?
yticolev
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2007, 09:39 PM

I've got a couple days in playing with Spaces on a new MacBook. I'm a little disappointed in how it operates. I'm a bit spacially oriented and like to have commonly used folders on my desktop. I would of course prefer them to show up on different Spaces but I know that is impossible. Of course the open folder window will stick to a Space but it is a nuisance to have to do that and arrange everything just so with every reboot (I know, don't have to reboot much except I just went through a long ordeal with Windows, Boot Camp, and Fusion; as well as three hard crashes that were network related).

I'm not a power user, but it would seem to me to be relatively easy to script opening folders in a particular space on log in. And just as easy to make an application to do the same thing if some developer wants to step into this space (no pun intended).

Any thoughts? I, for one, would be willing to pay for such a feature happily.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2007, 02:21 PM

I like folders on the desktop and can see your point, though personally prefer the consistency of the current model.

AFAIK, DragThing allows separate docks/windows in different spaces. With a bit of tweaking, it could suit you. (Haven't tried this feature myself, just heard about it.)

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2007, 02:25 PM

Any window can be moved to any space by:
• click-and-hold on the titlebar, then type control-1 (to move it to space #1 for instance).

...or...

• click-and-hold on the titlebar, and drag the window off screen in the direction of the desired space (top, left, bottom, or right).

A login script does sound cool though.
(Haven't looked at AppleScript in Leopard yet).
-HI-

yticolev  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post
Any window can be moved to any space by:
• click-and-hold on the titlebar, then type control-1 (to move it to space #1 for instance).

...or...

• click-and-hold on the titlebar, and drag the window off screen in the direction of the desired space (top, left, bottom, or right).

A login script does sound cool though.
(Haven't looked at AppleScript in Leopard yet).
I understand that completely. That does not help for placing 20 windows in 6 spaces in the correct place every time I log in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules