Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Cheap camera for kids recommendations?

Cheap camera for kids recommendations?
eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2007, 01:29 PM

I'm thinking about getting a cheap digital camera for my kid for Christmas. I know there are models that are right around $130 (including the Canon Powershot A530), but I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations. Especially of the "I found so and so for less than $100 at Best Buy".

All comments appreciated.

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2007, 11:17 AM

I found a nice Kodak at Target for under $100 for my 12 year old grandson. Nice features, but not too complicated. 6 megapixels, I think. Seems quite sturdy as well. Small and compact, reasonable zoom, AA batteries. I got him a small bettery charger and rechargable batteries for it as well, so he can recharge at will. Can't remember the model number, but it looks like it will be great for him.
Mary

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2007, 11:20 AM

That's a cool present, skybolt.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2007, 11:24 AM

How cheap are we talking, here? And how young is the kid? My wife found a Kid-ified, ruggedized V-Tech camera for our three-year-old. It looks like a toy, but is a real digital camera, and you could probably find it for $50 or less if you know where to look. The resolution sucks, it's probably on par with a cell phone cameras from a few years ago (VGA for still pictures, 1/4 VGA for video).. It also takes a while between pressing the shutter button and taking the picture, we have loads of pictures of the floor because she would snap the button then pull the camera away. But she loves it!

eyadams  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2007, 01:46 PM

How cheap are we talking, here? And how young is the kid?
I'd like to keep the price to between $100 and $130. I have two kids, the oldest is 9 and the youngest is 5. Both are responsible enough that I don't need a kid-proof camera - they know to be careful. Mainly I want a camera that will work with iPhoto, take pictures quickly, and has a screen on the back. Years ago we gave my older son a JamCam, which was great except it didn't have a screen on the back so he constantly wanted to use the grown up camera.

After researching this, I pretty much think they'll be happy with ANY camera that meets the specs.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2007, 01:53 PM

The Sony DSC-S700 is available for around $120 and it's a nice small point and shoot camera.

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2007, 11:07 AM

One thing to watch for is the use of some kind of storage -- CF, SD, etc. I bought one a couple of years ago that did not use external storage card, and every time the batteries went down, the pictures were lost. And the batteries went down A LOT! So, external storage of some kind is essential. I also got my grandson a 1g SD card to go with it. He's set!
Mary

Forum Links
Forum Rules