Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > anti virus recommendation needed

anti virus recommendation needed (Page 2)
bloodshot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2007, 02:14 PM

As others have pointed out already, you really do not need any anti-virus software for Mac. Your Mac can NOT spread virus's to a PC because they can't actually execute and do anything on the Mac platform, their not compiled for it. Also, no Mac anti-virus software can fix files with Word Macro virus's, so again it's useless. Don't buy into the FUD, use your Mac and don't worry.

I've been using Macs for almost 20 years and working the IT industry for 15. I've seen Mac virus's before, but these were on the Classic Mac OS, not OS X. There are NO known virus's in the wild for Macs, just do a little research.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2007, 02:23 PM

To be clear, you can transmit files that are infected to your PC colleagues, they just won't infect you. One of my clients insists I run an anti-virus when connected to their network for this reason. It is bogus, but the theoretical risk to others is there.

bloodshot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2007, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
To be clear, you can transmit files that are infected to your PC colleagues, they just won't infect you. One of my clients insists I run an anti-virus when connected to their network for this reason. It is bogus, but the theoretical risk to others is there.
Actually that's only partly true. Sure you could transmit an embedded virus to a PC, if you somehow got it on your Mac, which is doubtful to begin with. However, the real point here is the virus protection software, it generally doesn't detect PC virus's on Macs.

tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2007, 03:36 PM

Regarding the new release of NAV 11, I realize that the likelihood of anyone here having actually purchased a copy is rather slim, but I am looking for some detailed info on some of it's functions.

If anyone actually has installed NAV 11 would you be willing to post a screen cap of the following windows:
-Automatic Protection pane -> Auto Protect -> Configure... options window
-The general preferences window.

Much appreciated.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2007, 04:07 PM

Config:

Prefs:

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 12, 2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
In other words, while there's no driving need at the moment for a Mac to have an antivirus suite
Agreed.
using a good one shouldn't hurt at all.
Wanted to emphasize that one point. Cause using certain ones is worse IMHO than using nothing at all. Which I don't BTW because of the first quote from you. There is just no need. No matter what Gates or Ballmer tells you.
Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
True. I only recommend it if you correspond regularly with Windows users utilizing Microsoft Word and Excel documents. Some of those Word Macros raise hell with permissions on OS X and quickly infect other Word documents. The biggest annoyance is that it turns every single Word document into a read-only document.
Gah. That would be more of a MS problem than an OS X one though. Another reason I wont install Office on my computer.

tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2007, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
Config:
Prefs:
Thanks 64stang06 !!
Looks exactly like version 10.x
Does the "Auto File Scan" pane of "Auto Protect Configuration" allow us to specify paths to folders/volumnes to include/exclude from scanning?

64stang06
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2007, 04:59 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules