Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Anyone check out the new Halo 3 maps?

Anyone check out the new Halo 3 maps?
sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2007, 06:17 PM

Since I didn't pay for H3 I decided not to wait until the maps were free and DL'ed them yesterday.

Rat's Nest is a huge oval suited for the inane task of driving warthogs in a circle. I don't much care for it, but only time can tell.

Foundry is The Pit without really much high ground. The possibilities for Forge are outrageous as everything in the level is movable (and I mean every single item). Makes for interesting ground battles but once you lose the high ground it can be a royal pain in the ass.

Standoff is by far the jewel of the three, A very large, boulder laden outdoor level with sunken bases at either end. So far I haven't played a single game type here that I didn't enjoy to the fullest. It's already among my top 3 favorite levels and I can't wait until I get the chance to play some ranked gametypes there. It's not as long as Valhalla but the flanks are HUGE! I would say it's as long as it is wide, which makes for interesting defense.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2007, 09:33 AM

Saw this after my post in the main VG thread.

The short answer is 3 maps are not worth 1/6th of a game, nor the evil that is MS points and the 200 free-agent points that would be left over from having to buy 1000.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2007, 01:39 PM

Yeah, I hear ya.

If I actually paid for H3 I would do what I did for H2...wait for the maps to be free.

But hey, with those extra points you could get some sweeeet user icons

Also, thank you for posting in this thread, I was beginning to think that it smelled bad or something.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2007, 01:42 PM

This thread just makes me think of making a Halo 3 thread. I feel guilty with all the Halo talk in the general VG thread. That and we could post our sweet pics and brag about good games.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2007, 01:45 PM

You start it and I'll post in it.....of course that will be the extent since, lest we forget, we are in the NN basement.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2007, 01:49 PM

Yep. I'll get around to it later today.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2007, 01:49 PM

What the hey, I'll brag in this one too.

I played three (unranked) slayer games yesterday. The first game I went 16 kills right of the bat, and ended with 17, second game I went 14 in a row and then 10 in a row (two killing frenzys), the third one I had two killing sprees and one killing frenzy and ended with 23 kills.

Last week me and my bud were playing BTB. Everyone on our team quit except for one awful dude. We ended up winning 86-40 (something like that) and me and my friend had over 40 kills a piece.

I'll stop now

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2007, 11:39 PM

Lovin the new maps. Overpriced for 3 maps but still awesome. Haven't spent enough time in rat's nest to comment really, but Foundry is the forge's bitch and standoff is excellent. Only thing, the DLC playlist wasn't giving much in the way of slayer games when i played it.. mostly multi CTF etc, mixed games. I just wanted to try some good old slayer
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

Forum Links
Forum Rules