Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Numbers dictionary won't "learn" new words

Numbers dictionary won't "learn" new words
gumby5647
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 11:57 AM

Hey all,

I made some spread sheet of some stuff for work, problem is, Numbers won't remember my new words. "Downeaster", "Acela", "Hiawatha", "Surfliner", are all words that i've tried to right click and "learn spelling" + save doc....the red line will disappear under the word, but as soon as I shut down numbers and re-open the spreadsheet, the red line shows up under all the words again. Numbers dictionary isn't "learning" these words....any thoughts?
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 06:33 PM

Numbers' dictionary is the same as the system wide dictionary so if it isn't learning them in Numbers, it probably won't have learnt them in e.g. TextEdit either. However, that could be the crude solution to your woes - if it does learn them in TextEdit then they should remain learnt in Numbers too.

Personally though, I would be checking the file you will find in your ~/Library/Spelling/ folder (it is called en_GB on my system - GB because my system is localised for the UK... if you are using US English as your system language it is probably called en_US). It might be corrupt. The format of this file is all the words you have learnt concatenated together (e.g. lurnspeelingwurds would be what it would contain if I had learnt "lurn," "speeling" and "wurds" separately).

Forum Links
Forum Rules