Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Bizarre Bootcamp Boot ROM issue... help! (MBP)

Bizarre Bootcamp Boot ROM issue... help! (MBP)
The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2008, 10:06 AM

I have a Macbook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo (Not C2D). It has the BTO option of a 256mb X1600.

I have run Bootcamp from the start, no issues at all. Worked like a dream in 10.4. I removed all traces of my bootcamp partition about a month before 10.5 was released, in preparation.

So, I installed 10.5 a few weeks ago, but when I try to run the 'Bootcamp Assistant', I get a message saying that the application won't run, and I need to update the Boot ROM.

The machine is running (from system profiler):

MBP12.0061.B03 (which bizarrely seems to be for the 17" MBP according to some websites!)

I can find no more recent updater that will run. I always get the message 'Your computer does not need this update'...

Any ideas what to do to get Bootcamp running?

Help appreciated!

The Placid Casual  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 11:35 AM

Update here:

http://forums.macnn.com/69/macbook-p...hich-firmware/

I worked out exactly what happened... I think I have a huge problem, for the first time in my life, a Mac issue that I can't fix. :/

Back in 2006, I did some work for a company close to Apple, who got updates and things very slightly before the public. I joined a private wireless network to work there, and had auto install updates enabled in 'software update'. Looking through /library/receipts it lists:

"Macbook Pro EFI Firmware Update Pre-Release"

It seems my firmware is marked MBP11.0055.B06, but the release one is MBP11.0055.B08 (update 1.2). When I try to install the 'official' version it won't take at all.

I tried the 1.3 reset CD, all the updates, everything. No dice.

I deleted the Pre-Release stuff from 'Receipts', software update '.index', and also from the Utilites folder, to see if it would pick up the right update. No luck at all.

The kicker is this... Bootcamp will NOT work in 10.5 with the firmware I currently have... it has to have the 'official release' version. Every time i try to run the installer/helper for BT I get the message 'You need to Upgrade Your Firmware'.

I have wracked my brains on how to install the correct firmware manually, or do a force install of the firmware. All no dice.

I honestly think I am screwed

Help, I'm willing to try anything, as if not, I think this Mac may be fit for the bin as I will never be able to run Bootcamp (which I need for work)

Help

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 15, 2008, 07:04 PM

Trip to an Apple Store? This sounds like something that needs to be elevated. If there are more than one or two people that had access to that pre-release firmware, then there will be "interesting" fallout, and maybe Apple does not know how many users are affected. It's not like you got something illegally-just not the finished version. And the problem seems to boil down to "I can't get this firmware update to load," not "my firmware is hosed up." It's worth a shot.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

The Placid Casual  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2008, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the advice ghporter, I"ll give it another go, although I am really not hopeful.

There are no Applestores where I live at present (France), and the UK Applecare has already said in effect 'out of warranty, no help possible...'. I tried to explain it further and that I know of at least 2 other people with the same issue, but no go, they were having none of it. I have put a thread on the Apple Discussions forums too, and it has already been deleted once!

Knowing what I know about UK Applestore policy, I know I'll get no change their either, even with friends and ex-colleagues who still work in the retail chain there in numerous stores.

All in all, I am a bit miffed, as as you say, this is no fault of mine, but I am suffering the consequences.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 15, 2008, 10:03 PM

Contact Apple directly then. Email old Steve if you have to. This is a goof on Apple's part that can be corrected by some sort of method of changing the firmware. It's gotta be possible, even if it means going into some high-level repair facility for a bit.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2008, 11:14 PM

MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

The Placid Casual  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2008, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
Thanks for the link. My machine is the regular Core Duo, and they recommend the 1.3 CD. But no dice. I tried over and over, it will not reset the update :/

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2008, 08:59 AM

That "pre-release" version might be the killer. If you were to contact anyone higher at Apple, you may be in trouble if you weren't Apple authorized to get those versions. Good luck though.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

The Placid Casual  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2008, 09:02 AM

I was totally authorised to get the versions, so that isn't an issue at all luckily.

I just can't see a way of it being fixed short of hardware being swapped, but can't do that because it is out of warranty.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 16, 2008, 09:09 AM

If the firmware is flashable, then somewhere there's a tool for unilaterally flashing arbitrary firmware to it. And Apple has it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules