Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Buying an iMac, but liek...

Buying an iMac, but liek...
underwood
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2008, 04:40 AM

ATI Radeon 2600 HD.

I've been reading about how much it sucks for gaming. Then they come up with excuses saying how the drivers are still new etc etc. Will future drivers improve performance? Will it be better if I just run games on Bootcamped XP?

Or should I get the Macbook Pro 15"? I like how I can take it wherever I like (Powerbook G4 user). Dunno how the Nvidia GPU will compare to the Radeon 2600HD.

Bottom line, I want to game on this effectively with good framerate (not necessary max settings on everything), and last at least 5 years.

macryan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2008, 09:37 AM

The HD 2600 is certainly not a gaming card. As a matter of fact the iMac is not really a gaming machine. Though you would be a bit better off with the 2.4 or 2.8GHz and the 256MB HD 2600 card.

New drivers are expected to be included in the 10.5.2 update due out anytime. The new drivers will certainly help.

I have the 20" 2.4GHz and am quite pleased. but then I upgraded from a 7 year old computer so pretty much anything would knock my socks off.

I would also visit a Mac gaming site to see some real world responses. I run x-plane which is a demanding flying sim and can get good frame rates with very high resolution settings. Flying over NYC is does tend to bring the iMac to its knees though.

underwood  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2008, 01:33 PM

what to do.

I really need a solid platform for my WoW gaming. Is the Macbook Pro GPU any better?

Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2008, 08:57 PM

WoW should be fine AFAIK.

HitchHiker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2008, 01:51 AM

Wow does run really well on the 20" iMac 2.4Ghz. Fullscreen with all details up., though I didn't try any raids so you might have to tone it down a little if that's your thing.
Quad

Forum Links
Forum Rules