Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Tips for upgrading drive in MacPro

Tips for upgrading drive in MacPro
Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2008, 12:35 AM

Hi,

I recently purchased a 1TB drive to add to my Mac Pro. My primary drive at the moment is 250GB, and I would like to have the 1TB drive replace the 250GB drive as my primary drive (i.e. function as my boot drive) and have my 250GB drive act as either a boot camp drive or for additional storage. I don't have an external drive except for a 30GB iPod, which really isn't large enough to be of help in the migration.

Is there a simple way to accomplish this without the use of an external drive? I was hoping something like SuperDuper! might help, but then again I'm using Leopard.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tesselator
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2008, 01:42 AM

Macworld | Mac Gems | Super(er) Disk Cloning ?? I used it for basically the same
thing you're doing.

himself
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2008, 05:27 AM

You can do this using Disk Utility. Select the drive you want to clone to, and then select the "Restore" tab. Drag your current start-up disk to the "Source" field, and drag the disk you want to restore to into the "Destination" field. Click the restore button, and you're off. I've even done this while booted from the "source" drive with out any problem (though it may be best to do this while booted from your install disk).
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Forum Links
Forum Rules