Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Nvidia drivers under bootcamp. (UT3 issues)

Nvidia drivers under bootcamp. (UT3 issues)
autumnrayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2008, 12:32 AM

Ive been playing UT3 for the last three days and im pretty sure i end up forcing a reboot (holding down the button) at least twice an hour while i do. (im so sick of the startup chime...)

i looked into the problem on the UT3 forums and it seems that everything boils down to making sure your drivers are up to date. I dug around for a while looking for the latest 8600M GT drivers, before thinking to myself that i might not want to update my drivers as Im running in bootcamp and who knows what could happen if i mess around in things. i sure as hell dont. so im turning to your expertise

is it safe to update any drivers in windows under bootcamp? i guess im also looking for any driver know-how, links or otherwise that might help me. i can count on one hand the number of problems that ive ever solved in windows.

thanks in advance.
all we were, and are we have done- just zeros and ones.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 12, 2008, 07:28 PM

Windows is pretty smart about drivers. And if you don't like the results, you can roll back to an earlier point in time and basically eliminate that driver. Make sure you set a restore point before installing the driver, just in case there's something odd about the driver. Otherwise, at worst it won't work and you might have to restart in Safe Mode (hit F8 early in the boot process when prompted) and roll back to the restore point. No biggie, just a bit of a hassle.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2008, 08:48 PM

As for drivers I suggest you check out omegadrivers, there are versions for ATI and NVIDIA as well.

The start up chime are you talking the initial bong sound or the one in XP?

If the bong is bothering you, just make sure that alert sound in OS X sound panel is turned down, same goes for the output volume.

Another thing to try is in XP sound control panel, make sure use no sounds theme is selected(bear with me I'm not in XP right now so could be wrong with the naming convention).

With these settings I'm able to reboot not not wake the sleeping child right next to me, also with the Omega drivers Crysis(the game I'm playing when booted into XP) is playing nice and smooth.

One more thing, like ghporter said if you don't like what's going on while trying out different drivers then you could always roll Back the driver under Device Manager. Also making a restore point would be prudent in case things go really bad, which can happen in Windows.

Cheers
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

autumnrayne  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2008, 11:12 AM

thanks guys, i appreciate the advice.

i updated the nvidia drivers to the latest release from LaptopVideo2Go & NVIDIA Related News which mentioned somewhere in the page that it was an update for crysis, so i think ive got the one you're referring to silver. I also read that the issue could stem from the OpenAL options, so i adjusted the ini files to completely disable the sound in the game, and after updating the video drivers and disabling the sound the hitching was better, but not totally fixed. so im assuming its something else at this point. then i found something about it might be something to do with the nvidia shaders, and there was another option in the ini file to change that might fix it. again- better but no cigar.

edit: the omega drivers wont work with the laptop, but that looks like a good resource for later, thanks silver.

what a mess. can't wait for the linux installer to come out so i can make the move to dual booting Ubuntu and OSX instead of XP...
( Last edited by autumnrayne; Feb 13, 2008 at 11:20 AM. )
all we were, and are we have done- just zeros and ones.

Forum Links
Forum Rules