Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Help: Migrating iTunes Playlists from PC to Mac

Help: Migrating iTunes Playlists from PC to Mac
milf
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2008, 04:11 PM

I have a collection of music on a PC that has been successfully loaded onto a new Macbook. The music was not organized by iTunes on the PC, but now is on the Mac. I am trying to transfer the playlists on the PC to the Macbook. I managed to export all of the playlists to m3u format, but they are worthless on the Mac as they still contain PC paths that don't pertain to the Mac.

Is there an easy way to force iTunes to find the corresponding files on the Mac? I could probably come up with some programmatic way to do this, but I search first for another way. Any tips and/or suggestions appreciated.
Just my $.02 :-)
Ti Powerbook 1Ghz w/ Superdrive ......and lovin' it! :)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2008, 04:59 PM

Can't you just export the Library?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

milf  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2008, 05:43 PM

I think the problem is that on the PC side, iTunes was not configured to keep the Library organized, which it does by default on Macs I believe. So even if I export the Library to an XML file, won't that keep the CUser\Music\Location file paths that will mean nothing to the Macbook when I try to import? That's what happened with the playlists at least.
Just my $.02 :-)
Ti Powerbook 1Ghz w/ Superdrive ......and lovin' it! :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules