Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can Spaces Hide Desktop Files

Can Spaces Hide Desktop Files
milf
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2008, 12:29 PM

Is it possible to have Spaces hide my desktop files as well? Currently only application windows are hidden between virtual desktops, but the desktop clutter in the form of files remains.
Just my $.02 :-)
Ti Powerbook 1Ghz w/ Superdrive ......and lovin' it! :)

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2008, 12:30 PM

I don't know - but this has always annoyed me - it sort of removes the analogy of spaces to have all the same clutter in all the spaces.

milf  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2008, 12:36 PM

My thoughts exactly. I'd be very surprised if Apple didn't think of this -- totally defeats the purpose. I hoping that this is available and that I just don't know how to make it work.
Just my $.02 :-)
Ti Powerbook 1Ghz w/ Superdrive ......and lovin' it! :)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2008, 02:31 PM

It isn't possible, and I agree it feels kind of strange that it works that way.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Atheist
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2008, 02:36 PM

I'm sure Apple thought of it. Most virtual desktop programs give you the option to pin desktop items to a single desktop as well as have different background images for each desktop. Unfortunately Apple tends to implement even the most basic of features in a staged manner over a period of months or years. So expect to see these features added by 2009.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2008, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I'm sure Apple thought of it. Most virtual desktop programs give you the option to pin desktop items to a single desktop as well as have different background images for each desktop. Unfortunately Apple tends to implement even the most basic of features in a staged manner over a period of months or years. So expect to see these features added by 2009.
Really? I wouldn't expect to see it until 10.6.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2008, 03:53 PM

The alternative explanation is that Apple probably thought that having things suddenly disappear on people (especially if they didn't realise that Spaces was active and/or even know what it was) could be a bad thing for many users.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2008, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
The alternative explanation is that Apple probably thought that having things suddenly disappear on people (especially if they didn't realise that Spaces was active and/or even know what it was) could be a bad thing for many users.
No... it has to do with Apple's keep-it-simple ideology. They HATE to give the user options. They just presume what the majority of users would do and implement that.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2008, 07:28 PM

... They just presume what the majority of users would do and implement that.
Doubtful.

I'd guess that Apple employs a department of usability experts that are trained in the use of proven scientific methodologies as a means of determining such things.

They don't just presume anything.

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2008, 07:54 PM

No... it has to do with Apple's keep-it-simple ideology.
Apple don't have a keep-it-simple ideology at all, they have a make-it-usable ideology (which often overlaps with the KISS way of things). Having files on people's desktops (seemingly) randomly disappearing would not fall into that remit. Whether or not such a feature should be added as an option for the benefit of "power users" is something they'll probably consider once enough normal users have been exposed to the concept of virtual desktops for long enough.

Anycase, their priority with Spaces should be to fix the horrible bugs and usability issues it currently suffers from rather than adding more features.

Forum Links
Forum Rules