Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > syslogd hogging CPU and VM resources

syslogd hogging CPU and VM resources
krove
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2008, 07:38 PM

Anyone else having issues with syslogd churning out thousands of messages, hogging CPU (sometimes up to 100% of one core) and virtual memory resulting in slow system performance? I have noticed this since upgrading to 10.5.2. Here are links to two Apple Support Discussions that discuss the issue, but find no possible resolution (short of turning off syslogd, which is started by launchd at startup). Ignore that one of them is marked as "answered" because no answers are given in the thread.

Apple - Support - Discussions - syslogd hogging CPU ...
Apple - Support - Discussions - syslogd hogging CPU ...

Although some users think it has to do with .Mac, iDisk, or Time Machine, I use none of these. My syslogd messages seem to stem from an HP MFP LaserJet monitoring application. Given the variety of reports, I'd say the problem lies more with syslogd than any of the reported applications. Any ideas? Any fixes?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

krove  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 29, 2008, 04:58 PM

Ugh. I just disabled it. Pain in my ass.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2008, 03:45 AM

I just noticed the problem for the first time tonight. I was watching a DVD and suddenly the movie became unwatchable: it skipped a lot of frames, as it the CPU couldn't keep up. I suspected aMSN (which often eats up more than its share of RAM and CPU), but to my surprise, the culprit was syslogd (according to top). I did a quick search on Google and found it was a pretty common bug, but nobody seems to know how to fix it; everyone has a diffrent cause and solution (.Mac, iDisk, Time Machine, 3rd party software, etc). Any luck here?

[codex]10109 syslogd 162.9% 10:50.95 4 38 1032 1025M+ 188K 1012M+ 1051M+[/codex]

[Edit] I just restarted and it didn't fix the problem.. syslogd resumed hogging the CPU immediatly.
[2nd edit] It stopped after a few minutes, then started to act up again less than an hour after.
( Last edited by FireWire; Mar 26, 2008 at 05:13 AM. )

krove  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2008, 04:19 PM

I had no luck short of disabling it, which obviously isn't the best option.

Fortunately, I got a new machine, migrated, and the issue resolved. Once I re-installed 10.5 on the old machine, the problem also resolved. Hard to pin down what exactly caused the issue. It really was disabling, however, given how many CPU cycles syslogd soaked up.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2008, 05:40 AM

Any solutions to this yet? This is caning my Macbook Pro, and the process just starts up again after being killed. Battery life down to 20 minutes on a full charge...

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2008, 07:35 AM

Uninstall the HP monitoring application.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2008, 12:25 PM

Is it actually logging something? Have you checked on that? If it is, you want to fix whatever is logging like crazy rather than just preventing the logging from happening.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2008, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Is it actually logging something? Have you checked on that? If it is, you want to fix whatever is logging like crazy rather than just preventing the logging from happening.

++
-HI-

Forum Links
Forum Rules