Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > What to do with a G4 Cube

What to do with a G4 Cube
SqualorVictoria
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2008, 09:27 PM

So im thinkingof getting a G4 cube, probably just the outer case, and doing something with it, because i think they look just awesome. Does anyone have any ideas of what to do with it, ive got a few old hard drives around, could i stuff them in there somehow and make it an external drive or server?

Anyone got any good write ups on doing something like that?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2008, 12:04 AM

Turn it into an aquarium

-t

TiBook_Kid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2008, 12:25 AM

tissue box
Titanium PBG4 "Bruiser" 1GHz, 512mb, 60gb, MacBook "Whitey" 1.83 GHz 512mb, 120gb, PowerMac G4 "Sawtoof" 350MHz, 576mb, 120gb, iPhone, iPod nano

shrugs*
Mar 29, 2008, 01:18 PM

Mount some legs on the bottom and put an LCD with glasstop above.

Greatest nightstand. Ever.
Macbook Pro + Sawtooth

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Mar 29, 2008, 06:42 PM

If I were getting one, I'd try to get a working unit and use it as a media server with an AppleTV. But that's just me...I'd do the same with a Mac mini if I didn't have it out on permanent loan

Koralatov
Senior User
Mar 29, 2008, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
If I were getting one, I'd try to get a working unit and use it as a media server with an AppleTV. But that's just me...I'd do the same with a Mac mini if I didn't have it out on permanent loan
That’s a pretty good idea, the only problem is that the Cube doesn’t natively support drives larger than 128GB. This can, however, be solved with the SpeedTools Hi-Cap driver. There’s even a new version that supports Leopard. Personally, I haven’t used it, but it seems to be pretty highly-regarded around the CubeOwner forums.

Another option is to use it as an iTunes, file and print server, or even a torrenting machine. The fact that it runs silently makes it perfect for all of the above—just leave it running and forget about it.

However, if you’re getting just the casing, then your best bet might be the mini-in-a-Cube mod. This becomes an especially good option as it’s increasingly apparent that the modern mini outperforms the mighty Power Mac G5. The only things stopping me from carrying out that particular upgrade are a lack of funds and the lack of a mini refresh. If you feel really brave, you could try a mini- or micro-ATX board in in and create a Hackintosh (yuck).

Forum Links
Forum Rules