Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > BSG SciFi video causes shutdown on MBP, but not older Mac

BSG SciFi video causes shutdown on MBP, but not older Mac
Ratspittle
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2008, 01:39 PM

When I tried to watch battlestar galactica on the "scifi rewind" my macbook pro just turns off after about 10 minutes!!! Really strange. Anyone know what could be going on with that? It is repeat-able. It happened about 4 times, I just gave up and tried it on my old MDD G4 and no problems (other than the jerky video, which I had on the MBP too.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2008, 01:45 PM

Sounds like it's overheating and turning off to protect itself. Are both your fans working? You could run the Apple Hardware Test (press and hold D with the restore disc inserted after the apple chime) to check that they are working correctly.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2008, 12:25 AM

Sounds like you're a fan of the "starbuck's a cylon" club. Don't come back till you've changed your mind!!!!!

Just frakin with you. Yeah here's the thing not too many people on this board I think are BSG fans. But I am. I tried using the rewind and it was crap. No one uses it because it's not well made. SciFi's not really into you watching their show without making some kind of money off of you.

Try Hulu instead!

For the record I think starbuck is the opposite of the cylons. Sam was right, if she was a cylon, then when she had been captured on Caprica, the black cylon doctor wouldn't have harvested her eggs.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules