Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > No sound with various operating systems in VMware Fusion

No sound with various operating systems in VMware Fusion
cnlevo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2008, 05:52 PM

I can't get sound to work in ANY operating system i use in Fusion....windows (XP, Vista, Server), Linux, anything.

I always install vmware tools and everything as far as sound goes is checked as connected, but it won't play any sound. In windows when you goto the sound preferences it shows sound is playing on the little bar next to the sound driver, but nothing is coming from the speakers....

Does anyone have any idea?

I have a Mac Pro 2008 8 Core 2.8ghz with 16gb RAM, 4 TB HDD, 2x 2600 XT video cards (one for each monitor). If you need any more info let me know. Thanks.

BTW, Right now i am installing a fresh copy of Vista Ultimate
( Last edited by cnlevo; Apr 19, 2008 at 06:05 PM. )

cnlevo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2008, 01:03 PM

i searched the internet over and over. I have about 10 hours in to trying to fix this problem. I've found tons of people will the same problem but when they get it fixed they are, well, imho, a$$holes for not explaining.

Anyways the problem is not computer specific. My friend has the same exact setup but with one 8800GT vid card. Thats the only difference.

My solution to the problem was reverting back to vmware fusion 1.1.0 and not 1.1.1. WHY IN THE WORLD A NEW VERSION WOULD CAUSE A PROBLEM IS BEYOND ME. However i can't complain, only be frustrated, because Fusion is the best VM software for Mac OS X.

So there is the problem fixed. Revert back to v1.1.0. There are hardly any differences. From now on i will not upgrade to a 3rd point revision. I will only upgrade Fusion whne 1.2.0 comes out (which will be far ahead i'm sure, nut just stating a fact and opinion.

I hope this helps the 100's of people i've read who have the same problem.

Cold Warrior
Apr 20, 2008, 01:12 PM

I had a similar problem with a newer (at the time) version. It disabled/killed the VM's internet connection.

I deleted and reinstalled everything - Fusion's caches, plist, etc. - and then it worked fine.

cnlevo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2008, 07:22 PM

i tried doing the same thing. i cleared everything system related with mainmenu and then deleted fusion completely and it still wouldn't work until i stepped down a version. I have no idea what could cause it. The only thing i can think of is audio editing software. My buddies system is exactly the same except for Logic Studio Pro and Final Cut Studio 2

64stang06
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2008, 08:46 PM

I have 1.1.1 and no problems with sound. Just an FYI.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

fusionrocks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2008, 10:09 PM

Hi all!

Sorry you're running into technical issues. A great place to get help is at the VMware Fusion user forums. vmware.com/go/fusionforums

Lots of smart engineers and users on there.

~VMware Fusion Team

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 21, 2008, 08:37 AM

fusionrocks,

Spamming a forum that actually already pretty well supports your product is not a good way to get people to adopt that product. Care to become a more productive member or our forums? Then provide substantive information, not just a link to your own forums. (By the way, that link? You did it wrong.)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MircoT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2008, 01:40 PM

I've had this issue on my MacPro. Seems to be a bug of the 1.1.1 version.
From the VmWare Fusion community:

1. Enable the root user. In Mac OS 10.5, use the 'Directory Utility' app in your Utilities folder to do this; in previous versions of OS X use the 'Netinfo Manager' Utility also found in the Utilities folder.

2. Log out and log in with root user.

3. Goto System Preferences, Sound, and specify the correct sound output settings for your particular setup. In my case, I selected "Built-in line output" for my Mac Pro.

4. Log out of the root user.

5. Log back in with your own user ID and disable the root user.

6. Launch vmware Fusion and check for sound in your virtual machine.

It worked for me

Ciao

Forum Links
Forum Rules