Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tempurpedic vs Bergad Isoform (memory foam mattresses)

Tempurpedic vs Bergad Isoform (memory foam mattresses)
kman42
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2006, 01:44 PM

We are in need of a new bed and we made the mistake of trying out a Tempurpedic at the local mattress store. We were hooked instantly: it was soooo comfortable! The only problem is the price. Checking around online I ran across the Bergad Isoform on the epinion site (http://www99.epinions.com/content_115698929284). People seem quite pleased with the mattresses, but not the service and the price is substantially lower than tempurpedic. Unfortunately, they are an internet only company, so there is no place to try them out.

Has anyone tried either of these? We are looking at either the Tempurpedic Deluxe or the Celebrity and the Isoform Deluxe. What do people think of memory foam beds? I know it all comes down to comfort, but I'm curious what people think about the foam in cold weather, whether it 'breaths', and how people's sleep may have improved/worsened.

thanks,
kman

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2006, 01:46 PM

I've stayed at a few hotels (Hyatt chain) that now have Tempurpedic in their buisness class rooms. Man, what a great night sleep. I wish I could afford one.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2006, 03:52 PM

Memory Foam!! No Springs, no lumps, and really good for your back and neck.

sahnapiranha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2006, 04:42 PM

The wife and I purchased the "Deluxe" Tempurpedic this past January...

It isn't cheap, but you'll sleep better than you've ever slept before. My wife says, since getting the new mattress, that I snore less. And, it isn't "hot" to sleep on--and I live in Houston, the heat capital of the world. All around, it's a great mattress!

We looked at several other "memory foam" beds before getting the Tempurpedic. Most were slightly less expensive, but they didn't have as good a warranty as the Tempurpedic (20 year limited). They all felt similar to the Tempurpedic, but just didn't have the same "air-y" feeling to them. The Tempurpedic also has a removeable cover that can be unzipped, removed and washed; none of the others have this feature.

I'd also recommend getting the Tempurpedic pillows, too. My wife was able to get each of us one as part of the deal (they're 100-bucks a piece). They have two kinds--one is similar to a standard pillow, the other is countoured to support your head and neck. We got the countoured pillows, and they're VERY nice.

The only drawback to the mattress is in the s e x department. It may take a few "sessions" to learn how to balance yourself without touching the bed--your hands will "sink" right into the bed as soon as you touch it

Sweet dreams!

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2006, 04:53 PM

they aren't that expensive, they're like 2 grand for a queen sized, right?

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2006, 05:01 PM

Yeah. Kings are about 2500-3500 depending on the model. Not that much in the scheme of a good nights rest, but compared to other mattresses they are quite a bit more.

kman

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 04:01 PM

For the past 4 years I would always have shoulder pains durring the day which I thought was being caused from using a computer.

Last Auguest I got the Tempurpedic Pillow and Body pillow at $200 CAN a pop.

The day after I used it for the first time my shoulder pains were gone and haven't come back. I highly recommend them.

I would love to get the mattress even though it starts at $2000 but I also keep seeing "memory foam" mattress's for 1/4 the cost. I am guessing the other brands aren't as good though as my friend got a no name memory foam pillow and he says it feels much more springy and stiff so there must be a quality difference.

Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2008, 06:13 PM

We just got a mattress topper and it is really great. I don't know that it is quite as good as the Tempurpedic, but it is 1/10th the price.

Memory foam mattress topper pads

kman42  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 06:55 PM

I never followed up on my thread. We bought the tempurpedic mattress back in Sept 2006. And we still rave about it today. When we go on vacation and come home, we always marvel at how comfortable the bed is. My wife and I agree that it is the best money we ever spent.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 07:11 PM

I have a tempurpedic mattress and we really like it. One thing to keep in mind when comparing different kinds, how are they different. Do they use the same % of memory foam, what about the other underlying structure components. or some of the other knock offs the price is so wide to the real thing I wonder if they cut corners in the construction of the mattress.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
I never followed up on my thread. We bought the tempurpedic mattress back in Sept 2006. And we still rave about it today. When we go on vacation and come home, we always marvel at how comfortable the bed is. My wife and I agree that it is the best money we ever spent.
I take my pillow when I vacation as now anything else gives me pains.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 23, 2008, 07:34 PM

Here's what you do:

Welcome to BedinaBox.com ~America's absolute best quality memory foam mattress at the lowest price possible!

For 674 you get the 11" memory foam mattress (3 inches of memory, 8 of higher resistance, so you don't sink in) and a wooden foundation that you assemble.

You can use a regular box spring instead of the foundation, provided you put a sheet of plywood under the mattress. I opted for the foundation, as I wasn't getting rid of the old mattress, just moving it to another room.

The memory foam in this mattress comes from BASF corp., which is a well-known and high quality product business.

You save because you aren't paying for the Tempurpedic name.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2008, 12:08 AM

2 years ago, we got a king size NovaForm from Costco: $750.

Love it.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

paul w
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2008, 10:58 AM

We were considering a memory foam mattress along with spring mattresses and then we ended up just getting one of the latex Ikea mattresses. It's absolutely perfect, as all we're looking for in a mattress is that it be nice and firm, which it is.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2008, 11:24 AM

When buying any mattress check if they have been treated with PBDEs, polybrominated diphenyl ethers.

At very low levels PBDEs impair memory, learning, and behavior in laboratory animals. They also affect thyroid hormones and other bodily functions. Most at risk are developing fetuses, infants, and young children.

There is strong scientific evidence that levels of PBDEs are rising rapidly in the environment and in human bodies, particularly in North America where the use of PBDEs is the highest.

* Recent studies by Environmental Working Group and Northwest Environment Watch show that women in Washington state and the United States have levels of PBDEs in their breast milk that are much higher than the levels found in European women.
* Studies in wildlife have shown that PBDE levels are rising at alarming rates, doubling every one to five years. In the Columbia River system, levels of PBDEs in fish doubled in a mere 1.6 years.
Tempurpedic mattresses (and everything you buy at IKEA) are PBDE free, yet still meet the stringent fire regulations of the state of California, the strictest in the US, for furniture. Other manufacturers may or may not produce models that are of the same quality, but I'd definitely check before making a purchase.

Link to Pollution in People and further information.

paul w
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2008, 01:21 PM

^I'm sort of afraid to read your posts lest I learn a new way that I'm slowly poisoning myself to death.

lsredford
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2009, 07:59 PM

We invested $2k in their top of the line Isoform mattress. It was great for 2 months, then became uncomfortable. The Isoform foam somehow gives away. Per the Isoform warranty we requested a refund; they shipped a replacement mattress stating it must have been an anomaly. That one did the same thing. Bergad is now ignoring our requests. $2k down the drain.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2009, 01:42 AM

Are they warmer than regular mattresses. ie. Are they hot in the summer without air conditioning.

lexapro
Baninated
Nov 30, 2009, 02:55 AM

Sue em. Complain to the BBB.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2009, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Are they warmer than regular mattresses. ie. Are they hot in the summer without air conditioning.
I haven't noticed that they are any hotter than normal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules