Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > How do I get my profile/username deleted?

How do I get my profile/username deleted?
siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2008, 04:51 AM

My question is in the title. I hope MacNN can delete my profile/username. Unfortunately this place just isn't as good as it used to be

Gotta love the forum police
The more people I meet, the more I love dogs...
Women aren't stupid........................ men are ;)

reader50
Administrator
Apr 27, 2008, 05:05 AM

We generally don't scrub an account away. Wouldn't it be simpler to just stop visiting?

On the other hand, if you are asking to be banned, there is a way to do that. Post some hot deals for personal enhancement. Or brag up your HUGE cell phone inventory, along with clearance prices, paid through Western Union.

hmm... then there's the weird store that tries to sell sneakers in the Networking forum every few months. I suppose it picks up the "sneakernet" keyword in there, and figures they'll sell good.

siflippant  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2008, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
We generally don't scrub an account away. Wouldn't it be simpler to just stop visiting?

On the other hand, if you are asking to be banned, there is a way to do that. Post some hot deals for personal enhancement. Or brag up your HUGE cell phone inventory, along with clearance prices, paid through Western Union.

hmm... then there's the weird store that tries to sell sneakers in the Networking forum every few months. I suppose it picks up the "sneakernet" keyword in there, and figures they'll sell good.
Wow, strong reply. Yup, you're right about the 'not visiting' as the solution (but not about being banned? Oh well). All the best MacNN, it was good while it lasted.

Take care all.

The more people I meet, the more I love dogs...
Women aren't stupid........................ men are ;)

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 27, 2008, 07:23 AM

I have to wonder at siflippant's last sentence in the original post. Is this about "the forum police" trying to keep order and ticking this user off, or "the forum police" being here to help with a membership issue. I think the former, and if our not letting chaos reign is not to siflippant's liking, I guess both the forum and siflippant are better off apart.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 2, 2008, 08:18 AM

My first username here was my email address. I know, I know, you don't have to tell me. Can I get that account deleted?

subego
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2008, 11:50 AM

^^ I think the actual serious reason this isn't done is that they don't want to mess-up thread continuity.

If you ask super nice, they might be able to swing a user-name change though. Your situation does sound somewhat unique.

reader50
Administrator
May 2, 2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
My first username here was my email address. I know, I know, you don't have to tell me. Can I get that account deleted?
Deleting the account would leave the posts, with the username. The title would change to "guest" and you would no longer be able to log in and edit the posts.

Like subego says, you need a username change on the old account. Or even an account merge into your current one. However, I don't know if the latter is possible through the vBB controls - an Admin will need to comment.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2008, 02:21 PM

Wow, this place is so bad a lurker objects to it? Strange.

ghporter
Administrator
May 2, 2008, 03:28 PM

I think I can change a username on an account. If Gankdawg will PM me with the old username (precisely as it was shown by our forums) I can give that a try. Changing the name to Gankdawg will NOT merge the two accounts...

reader50
Administrator
May 2, 2008, 03:48 PM

Glenn, according to the vBB docs:

Try the Users popdown in the admincp. 3rd option "Merge Users" sounds like it would work.

Of course, being the sneaky suspicious person that I am, I'd do an IP check on both handles. Make sure he's not trying to claim some of Ca$h's old posts with a little social engineering.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 2, 2008, 04:06 PM

I can guarantee you that I'm not Ca$h and that the IP will not match. I've long since moved and switched ISPs. Glenn emailed me, and I told him if he can, he can change the user name and password to whatever he wants as I have not and will not use the old account and I don't really care if they are merged. Whatever is easiest, appreciate the help.

reader50
Administrator
May 2, 2008, 04:11 PM

If you can send Glenn your login password for the old account, I'd say that would be pretty good proof that it really was yours.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2008, 04:32 PM

Or better yet, the md5 hash of the old password, as I'm fairly sure vBB does not store passwords in the clear... Most web applications don't.

To do this, from your terminal:

md5 -s "yourpassword"

This hash will be what is saved in the DB table

subego
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2008, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Or better yet, the md5 hash of the old password, as I'm fairly sure vBB does not store passwords in the clear... Most web applications don't.

Wouldn't it be easier for him to just try and log in with the password?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2008, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Wouldn't it be easier for him to just try and log in with the password?
Yes, but that's generally a bad idea. People often use the same password for all sorts of things, which is what makes password sharing generally a bad idea. What would be best would be my idea, or else setting the account to a random password and sharing that.

I suggested an cronjob to automatically archive threads older than a certain date some time ago and the impression I got was that whomever was the admin at the time didn't have this level of access and/or know-how, so perhaps the password reset idea is the best bet.

reader50
Administrator
May 2, 2008, 06:44 PM

I suggested an cronjob to automatically archive threads older than a certain date some time ago and the impression I got was that whomever was the admin at the time didn't have this level of access and/or know-how ...
I assume this is to prevent bumping of old threads. If so, I'd be more in favor of a cronjob to autolock older threads. Reason: people often Search for problems/solutions in the forum(s) most likely to contain the answers. And they are likely to miss the Archives unless they search All Forums.

The Archives were started under UBB to reduce folder sizes on the server. Since vBB uses a DB instead of a file tree to store posts, the Archives no longer serve a clear purpose other than to prevent zombie bumps. If we had a way to prevent old bumps in place, I'd be in favor of getting rid of the Archives. Put the posts back in their respective forums, so Search will work as expected.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 2, 2008, 07:33 PM

I'm in favor of a cronjob to autolock older threads.
Seconded. The feature can be added on to vBulletin via an addon from the vBulletin mods site.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 2, 2008, 09:37 PM

Can I get my account deleted too? This place really has gone to hell.

The moderators rock but the lurkers suck.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

subego
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2008, 12:02 AM

Yes, but that's generally a bad idea. People often use the same password for all sorts of things, which is what makes password sharing generally a bad idea.

I'd trust Glenn with my password any day of the week.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
May 3, 2008, 07:25 AM

No offense to you or Glenn but I don't trust anyone with my passwords. Besson's right on this, its just form to hand out your passwords on the intarweb. Yes I know we're only talking about a forum but still

Atomic Rooster
May 3, 2008, 10:54 AM

It's best to delete accounts if possible. They may end up on a certain website that publishes handles for different forums. I can't remember how I came across it but there was all kinds for MacNN available for anyone to use. I decided to see if any worked and signed in and made a post with one no problem.

Atomic Rooster
May 3, 2008, 10:57 AM

1st rule of the intardweb: TRUST NO ONE1!!111!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2008, 12:51 PM

I assume this is to prevent bumping of old threads. If so, I'd be more in favor of a cronjob to autolock older threads. Reason: people often Search for problems/solutions in the forum(s) most likely to contain the answers. And they are likely to miss the Archives unless they search All Forums.

The Archives were started under UBB to reduce folder sizes on the server. Since vBB uses a DB instead of a file tree to store posts, the Archives no longer serve a clear purpose other than to prevent zombie bumps. If we had a way to prevent old bumps in place, I'd be in favor of getting rid of the Archives. Put the posts back in their respective forums, so Search will work as expected.

Yeah, I meant to say auto-lock threads... I figured that threads that are archived are threads that should not invite a response, but I guess there is a slight difference?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2008, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Seconded. The feature can be added on to vBulletin via an addon from the vBulletin mods site.
It's also just a simple MySQL query that you could put into a 3 line PHP file.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 3, 2008, 06:31 PM

Yeah, I meant to say auto-lock threads... I figured that threads that are archived are threads that should not invite a response, but I guess there is a slight difference?
‘Archived’ here on MacNN means that it’s removed from the individual forums and aggregated into the Archive subforum (at the very bottom of the forum list).

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2008, 09:52 PM

username: brassplayersrock²
password: cassidy

have fun people

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2008, 10:11 PM

Sorry. I've rethought that.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2008, 10:12 PM

It won't let me edit my posts, so I've changed my password. Don't even bother people.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2008, 12:13 AM

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2008, 12:15 AM

What is your forum password ricky939?

ghporter
Administrator
May 6, 2008, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
No offense to you or Glenn but I don't trust anyone with my passwords. Besson's right on this, its just form to hand out your passwords on the intarweb. Yes I know we're only talking about a forum but still
Trust is the best thing in the world, but it's something that you need to be pretty stingy with. In this case, the change was simply me going into an account that someone couldn't remember his password for, changing it to something that at least SOMEBODY knew, then informing him of it through some other channel. That way he could change it to something secure as soon as possible. So thanks, subego, for trusting me, but thanks MacosNerd for pointing out that a regular password should not be something shared with anyone.

By the way, since I figured out how to find that password entry, I should point out that if anyone screws up and completely forgets their password, they can email anyone on the staff and we can work out getting the user's identity confirmed and the password "reset" to something they can work with. This has been there all along, but I don't recall any discussion of its use in the years that I've been here.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2008, 04:45 PM

Oh hey, my name's ghporter, I forgot my password.

For confirmation of my identity, ask me where I'm from.
It's San Antonio

reader50
Administrator
May 6, 2008, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
By the way, since I figured out how to find that password entry, I should point out that if anyone screws up and completely forgets their password, they can email anyone on the staff and we can work out getting the user's identity confirmed and the password "reset" to something they can work with. This has been there all along, but I don't recall any discussion of its use in the years that I've been here.
Most of the time, no staff assistance is needed. They can click the "Forgot Password" link and the board will send their password to their registration email. Or send a new random password, I forget which.

Members only need assistance if they no longer have access to their registration box AND forget the password.

ghporter
Administrator
May 8, 2008, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Oh hey, my name's ghporter, I forgot my password.

For confirmation of my identity, ask me where I'm from.
It's San Antonio
Most of the time, no staff assistance is needed. They can click the "Forgot Password" link and the board will send their password to their registration email. Or send a new random password, I forget which.

Members only need assistance if they no longer have access to their registration box AND forget the password.
Obviously the confirmation of a member's identity will be a little more involved than simply a question or two-nice try, Dakar. And I live in San Antonio, I'm from somewhere else.

My post wasn't detailed enough. There are few circumstances where a legitimate user might not be able to use the built-in features to recover or reset a password. I was referring to those extremely odd situations in my post, though I didn't say so.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2008, 11:20 AM

What is your forum password ricky939?
You mean rickey939, right?

At any rate, my forum password is:

k3nny_loft0n_rule$_da_worLds (case sensitive)

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2008, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Obviously the confirmation of a member's identity will be a little more involved than simply a question or two-nice try, Dakar. And I live in San Antonio, I'm from somewhere else.
You're getting old, gh. I knew you'd split that hair.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2008, 11:26 AM

I never understood why people feel the need for self-bannination. Just don't come here anymore.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules