Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Flashing ? Question Mark with new Hard Drive

Flashing ? Question Mark with new Hard Drive
redhot_nyc
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2008, 08:00 AM

I upgraded my Core Duo Macbook to a Western Digital 320GB hard drive.
Initially I used super duper to clone the drive, and had a flashing question mark appear for a few seconds (as if it can't find the OS)
So I re-installed Leopard from scratch. Still the flashing question mark. What's wrong?

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2008, 08:57 AM

You reformatted the drive in HFS+ (Journaled) and successfully installed Leopard and it still flashes a question mark?

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2008, 09:11 AM

Could it be the partition map scheme?

Check with Disk Utility (boot from the Leopard DVD) that it's the GUID Partition Table that Intel Macs require

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2008, 11:12 AM

I found that I got a flashing question mark appearing for a few seconds when I removed the bootcamp partition. I'd repartition the drive and then reinstall leopard to see if this still occurs.

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2008, 09:15 AM

MacosNerd, perhaps your issue does not require re-formatting. Try pressing the Option key to have your Mac list the available bootable drives (not counting the OS Install DVD)

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2008, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by naphtali View Post
MacosNerd, perhaps your issue does not require re-formatting. Try pressing the Option key to have your Mac list the available bootable drives (not counting the OS Install DVD)
Except for the fact that I removed the bootcamp partition and the flashing question only appears for a second or two which I believe is the same symptom as the OP. Its not that my machine isn't bootable or anything.

ibook_steve
Apr 30, 2008, 11:45 AM

Go into Startup Disk preferences and make sure the correct volume is selected for booting. If you're pointing to some volume that the OS can't boot from, you'll get the flashing question mark until the system can find a bootable volume.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2008, 12:15 PM

@steve - Thanks! That was what I was getting at; missed that out

@macosnerd - Basically if your computer can still boot fine, it does not require something as drastic as the reformat you're considering. You need not lose all your information; just set your start up disk right.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2008, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by naphtali View Post
@macosnerd - Basically if your computer can still boot fine, it does not require something as drastic as the reformat you're considering. You need not lose all your information; just set your start up disk right.
Oh I know, I was telling the OP what the cause could be and repartitioning could fix it. I'm all set but thanks anyways.

Forum Links
Forum Rules