Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Does iMovie '08 support AVCHD from the Canon HF10 without conversion?

Does iMovie '08 support AVCHD from the Canon HF10 without conversion?
funkboy
Professional Poster
May 3, 2008, 01:32 PM

At least one review on Amazon says it takes a long time to convert the AVCHD of the Canon HF10 (and, presumably, any other AVCHD-based camcorder) to a file format natively supported by iMovie.

I see on the Apple site it says
iMovie supports standard and high definition video, as well as the most popular formats, including DV, HDV, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and even AVCHD.
So... I don't know what's the correct answer. Who has experience to tell me if there is a lengthy "importing" process with AVCHD files, and especially with the HF10? I would hope to use a standard SD card reader to read the SDHC cards...

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2008, 05:40 PM

lab13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2008, 03:34 AM

But has anyone had personal experience with the HF10? transferring movies to imovie? for that matter any of the AVCHD cameras? I am trying to decide on a new camcorder as well. I have a Sony miniDV camera and I would like to upgrade to a HD, but have heard that some of the HD cameras are not compatible with IMovie. I read the support page mentioned above, but would like to hear from someone that has one of these cameras and uses it with IMovie and has been pleased. thanks

bearcatrp
Senior User
May 22, 2008, 08:53 AM

I have the Sony SR11 and yes iMovie 8 does import the AVCHD files to apples codec. I actually use iMovie 8, then import to iMove 6 to edit due to plugins I use from geethree. iMovie 6 will not import AVCHD. As for burning HD to disc, use toast 9, provided you have a blu-ray player.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

buengel5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2008, 04:33 PM

I just bought the Canon HF10 and I am right mow importing HD-materials into iMovie. It works, but it takes time. Let me say it took 6 minutes to import 2 minutes. I was a little disappointed - thats why I found your post.

buengel5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2008, 05:13 PM

For testing I made a 2 Minutes movie and now i am trying to export iton Full-HD. It takes 54 MINUTES on my Intel iMac!!! That scares me!!!

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 18, 2008, 11:13 PM

Compressed Video is very CPU intensive. What do you expect?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2008, 03:02 PM

It appears that iMovie doesn't really support AVCHD, it just transcodes it to some other format. The quality goes down (as with all lossy compression) and the filesize balloons (3-5x larger depending on if you choose quarter HD or HD).

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2008, 03:07 PM

iMovie uses the Apple Intermediary Codec. The reason is simple - AVCHD is not an editable codec. It is like MPEG2 - a format that works great for one time record and playback, but unusable for editing. To edit with any speed at all, iMovie has to transcode it into a format it can edit with.

Even Final Cut Pro does this - it converts to either ProRes (preferable) or AIC.

msa11usec
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2008, 01:56 PM

I have been using the slow technique of transcoding (no other options) and it all works great. The following movies were made using HF10, macbook, iMovie. All off the shelf.

Mike Adams' videos on Vimeo

Also, here is a good blog entry that describes how to archive your footage:

Using the Canon HF100 PAL HD Camcorder: Backup of HF100 AVCHD clips
MacBook
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Memory: 1 GB
System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.2 (9C7010)
iMovie version 7.1.1

Forum Links
Forum Rules