Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Why are you a Christian?

Why are you a Christian? (Page 4)
design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 8, 2008, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by L'enfanTerrible View Post
I am a Taoist, and I am so because it's a frame of mind, not a strict set of behaviours and customs that are modified generation after generation.
I'll have to look into that, sound interesting. In line with the subject of this thread, how did you come to Taoism? And where you something else at some point? What was the influence?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
I'll have to look into that, sound interesting. In line with the subject of this thread, how did you come to Taoism? And where you something else at some point? What was the influence?
I was introduced to Taoism by a member of this board actually, years back when we had an iChat room. I don't remember his name, but he sent me some mp3s of some lectures by Alan Watts, and those lectures struck a chord so deep, they changed my entire world view. He has written many books, but his talks really convey the message.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2008, 04:32 PM

Isn't Watts a Buddhist?

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Isn't Watts a Buddhist?
I am not nearly an expert on the subject, but I believe the two are closely related. The Tao is the Way, and living by Taoist principles means living wu-wei, or without action. Loosely translated, it means acting naturally, instinctually, to avoid developing karma. Karma is often misunderstood to be good or bad, but it is actually neutral. It is the accumulating outcome of acting with pre-conceived notions, and IMO, I think our understanding of the Ego has a lot to do with this.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2008, 04:45 PM

Isn't Watts a Buddhist?
He identified as a Buddhist, but he was into Eastern philosophy in general.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 8, 2008, 04:46 PM

I just scanned wiki for Toaism and on first glance, it looks pretty darn reasonable.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2008, 10:49 PM

Isn't Watts a Buddhist?
Alan Watts was an Anglican Priest and had a doctorate in divinity. He did study Buddhism as well as other eastern religions like taoism and hinduism. He is identified with Buddhism because of his involvement with the Zen movement in the '60's but he himself said that at heart he is a Taoist.

Originally Posted by L'enfanTerrible View Post
I am not nearly an expert on the subject, but I believe the two are closely related.
Specifically ZEN buddhism is the most related to Taoism because the popularity of Buddhism in China and how the Taoist (as well as Confucianist) culture permeated Chinese society.

The Tao is the Way, and living by Taoist principles means living wu-wei, or without action. Loosely translated, it means acting naturally, instinctually, to avoid developing karma. Karma is often misunderstood to be good or bad, but it is actually neutral. It is the accumulating outcome of acting with pre-conceived notions, and IMO, I think our understanding of the Ego has a lot to do with this.
I'm no expert either, but as I understand it, there isn't really the concept of "karma" as such in taoism. I suppose one could draw parallels between "going against the Tao" and Karma but I think that they are different ideas.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

grinder
Forum Regular
May 17, 2008, 07:31 AM

I was born and raised in a Christian family and peer pressured into every aspect of the religion. Only in the last few years have I begun to rethink my "faith" and realized I had been lying to myself for far too long.
2,4GHz iMac | 320GB Passport | BT Keyboard | MX Revolution | 4GB iPod nano
Blog | Flickr | deviantART

Forum Links
Forum Rules