Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Adjust trackpad sensitivity?

Adjust trackpad sensitivity?
Kyle76
May 10, 2008, 09:09 AM

Sometimes I inadvertently right-click when I'm trying to scroll on my MBP's trackpad. Is there a way to adjust the tap sensitivity?

ibook_steve
May 11, 2008, 11:49 AM

If you're right-clicking, that means you're tapping with two fingers. I'm not sure how to make this less "sensitive" other than to turn it off in the Keyboard & Mouse preferences.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2008, 12:31 PM

Yeah, if it annoys you, turn it off and then use control and click instead as that is a harder combination to do when your resting on your trackpad or whatever.
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7!)
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

Kyle76  (op)
May 11, 2008, 10:20 PM

Good idea. I'll try it with just control click.

gsr1379
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2008, 01:13 AM

Even with tap to click disabled you can use two fingers on the track pad then click. it will be a control click (right click)

ibook_steve
May 12, 2008, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by gsr1379 View Post
Even with tap to click disabled you can use two fingers on the track pad then click. it will be a control click (right click)
That's the problem. The OP doesn't want to accidentally right-click while scrolling (which also uses two fingers).

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Kyle76  (op)
May 12, 2008, 04:54 AM

Disabling right click and using control seems to be the best solution for me.

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2008, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
That's the problem. The OP doesn't want to accidentally right-click while scrolling (which also uses two fingers).

Steve

I think gsr meant that you can avoid the problem by disabling the tap-to-click

That will mean that placing two fingers on your touchpad won't register as a right click, since all clicking will have to be done with the button instead of just tapping. With that, you can still right click with 2 fingers on the touchpad.

I think this is the default, and it works well for me - no right clicking when you just want to scroll.

Kyle - you were the one asking about virtualisation on your new MBP right? How are you enjoying it?

Kyle76  (op)
May 12, 2008, 12:08 PM

The Fusion works well, but it's not exactly "plug and play." It has taken several days working off and on to get things set up as I want them to work. I spent a couple of hours this morning trying to get my USB printer to work in Windows, but I finally found the info I needed on the VMWare forum. Unity mode is very nice. Programs can live on the Dock and open in their own window, just like native apps. Or you can use full-screen mode where all you see is a regular Windows desktop.

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2008, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
The Fusion works well, but it's not exactly "plug and play." It has taken several days working off and on to get things set up as I want them to work. I spent a couple of hours this morning trying to get my USB printer to work in Windows, but I finally found the info I needed on the VMWare forum. Unity mode is very nice. Programs can live on the Dock and open in their own window, just like native apps. Or you can use full-screen mode where all you see is a regular Windows desktop.
Have you tried full-screen mode with spaces? Space 1 for Mac OS, Space 2 for full screen Windows Ctrl + 1/2 to switch between both

Forum Links
Forum Rules