Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > XLR8 MACh Speed ZIF upgrade problem

XLR8 MACh Speed ZIF upgrade problem
euro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2001, 08:25 PM

I recently upgraded my beige G3/233MHz machine with a XLR8 G3/400MHz/1MHz ZIF card. All is fine (and zippy) except those regular (hourly or at least daily) system deep freezes. I went through a fair bit of troubleshooting with no success (tried to reduce clock speed as well as backside cache speed to less than default, for example). I do know one thing though: if I disable the backside cache, the freezes go away and the system is rock-stable.
Well, I was going to go through the clean system install bit next, but now I'm wondering whether that even makes sense. Given that it seems to be backside cache related, is it simply a hardware problem and re-installing software is just a waste of time? I'm hoping someone here on the board has experineces/input/ideas to share.
Thanx.
Euro

zac4mac
Mac Elite
May 13, 2001, 10:21 AM

I put an XLR8 Carrier in my PM8500, but used an OEM ZIF-400.
Running stably at 454/227 with a 56.8 MHz bus and 240 MB interleaved 60ns EDO RAM since Oct 99.
It usually runs 2-3 weeks 24/7 without a restart, but sometimes will crash several times in a day.

Turn off speculative processing.
Try dropping the speed of your L2 cache instead of completely turning it off.
If you have External Cahe(I don't think the beige did, just its predecessors), take it out.

------------------

euro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2001, 11:32 AM

Thanks. I did try to reduce the settings all the way down to 133 MHz but that had no effect. Only turning it off alltogether works. I'm now running SpeedControl 2.0.2 and there is no longer an option to toggle speculative processing (though I did try that under Speed Control 1.4.3, without success). I have not yet clean installed the system - do you think it makes any sense to try that or is it a desperation move?

zac4mac
Mac Elite
May 13, 2001, 11:42 PM

What system version are you running?
I had OT problems on 8.6

e-mail me a report from Apple System Profiler and I'll see if I can spot anything.
check all the boxes on the left.

Do you freeze when you run with minimal extensions or extension off?

euro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2001, 08:09 PM

Thanks for your help, folks! It looks like the mistery is solved. Enabeling "write-through" in the Speed Control panel apprears to fix the problem. The system has been stable for 24hours now.

I have absolutely no clue what the hack "write-through" is but it sure seems to do the trick for me!

Thanks again!
Euro

PS: I'm running 9.0.4

Forum Links
Forum Rules